Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Which material kitchen counters are the most practical?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:28 pm
Have Formica for 22 years, still looks brand new

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:32 pm
What should I expect to pay for granite counters - stone plus installation - let’s say counters are standard depth, 16 feet total length?
What’s the cheapest place in Brooklyn

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:35 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
What should I expect to pay for granite counters - stone plus installation - let’s say counters are standard depth, 16 feet total length?
What’s the cheapest place in Brooklyn

Depends on the granite as they range from cheaper than formica to more expensive than marble.

Also depends on the configuration of your counter tops - e.g. two straight counters or do you have angles.

If you have angles you would have to deal with matching the seams so the counter doesn't look weird.

You should approve the template of the counter before the fabricator does anything or else you might wind up with a weird looking result as some patterns need to be laid in a certain way

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:45 pm
For no care, no stains, and (so far) no chips, my hard quartzite counters are excellent.

In my experience as a kitchen designer, engineered quartz is more prone to chipping than granite or hard quartzite.

Formica holds up surprising well when protected from water and hot frying pans.

My favorite work counter is actually end grain maple — I chop on it and nothing bad happens — not to the knife and not to the counter. But it requires upkeep, and you cannot leave water on it for an extended time.

Stainless steel counters are kasherable and heat proof but can scratch.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:49 pm
Amarante wrote:
Depends on the granite as they range from cheaper than formica to more expensive than marble.

Also depends on the configuration of your counter tops - e.g. two straight counters or do you have angles.

If you have angles you would have to deal with matching the seams so the counter doesn't look weird.

You should approve the template of the counter before the fabricator does anything or else you might wind up with a weird looking result as some patterns need to be laid in a certain way

Thanks
Two straight counters
Would go with the cheapest granite

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:35 pm
Quote:
You’re saying you had the means and wanted to redo your kitchen 5 years ago, but didn’t because you can’t settle on a countertop?
Well also I am organizationally challenged & just don't get around to things...

I did have one highly recommended company come down to measure. But when I get around to calling them after 3, the ladies have all left. (I work til about 2 or 2:30 and then, you know, I need to eat lunch etc...) I guess I need a company with some full-time employees. And maybe also I am not looking forward to the upheaval. Except when I need to get something from my very annoying corner blind cabinet....

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread...

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have granite and it is what is called "bullet proof" as it doesn't need to be sealed and I don't worry about staining.

I think people would be surprised at all of the gorgeous patterns that granite comes in. Some even resemble "marble" or are not "busy" if that is your thing. If you go to a good stoneyard, the variety of slabs is amazing - or just google granite "images"

My granite is Black Galaxy which is black obviously but has flecks of iridescent copper. Last night I was working in the kitchen with the lights on and I was just enjoying how the copper element had such a nice subtle bling. FWIW I have copper accents in my kitchen like copper farmhouse sink; copper hood over range and copper ceiling tiles.

I think I would love your kitchen!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen