Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I need a new system its a disaster
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:13 pm
amother Blush wrote:
The dirst gets out better with hotter water. Have you ever tried to wash dishes with cold vs hot water? Hot water gets it much cleaner. Doesn't help to dry clothes that are still dirty on high heat.

I'm not talking about dirty, I was responding to someone who washes underwear in hot water for sanitary reasons. The underwear I'm washing is not visibly dirty, so why the need for hot water?

lucky14

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:13 pm
amother Denim wrote:
I do almost everything on cold and gentle. Works for me Smile

Same. All clothing items get washed in cold on delicate cycle.

Towels are basically the only thing that gets washed another way.

If there are rougher material pants I’ll do those in a separate load than more delicate items otherwise all clothes are done together.

lucky14

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:14 pm
amother Plum wrote:
I'm not talking about dirty, I was responding to someone who washes underwear in hot water for sanitary reasons. The underwear I'm washing is not visibly dirty, so why the need for hot water?

No need. The soap and water is getting it plenty clean enough.

emee2

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:19 pm
I’m now second guessing my system but I have a laundry hamper divided in 3 plus another hamper for towels. The 3 categories are black (cold), white (hot) and colorful (warm). When the hamper is full that load gets washed, when it’s done whatever needs to be hung is pulled out and hung and the rest is thrown in the dryer.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:21 pm
amother Blush wrote:
For someone who doesn't like to sort laundry, you do a lot of sorting!

each of these categories go in a separate hamper

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:23 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
each of these categories go in a separate hamper

That's sorting, no? You're just doing the sorting before it goes in the wash vs after.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:26 pm
amother Plum wrote:

I'm not just talking about visible dirt. Even if your underwear looks visibly clean, you'd have problems if you didn't change them regularly and kept wearing them because they look clean.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:49 pm
amother Plum wrote:
Why is it more sanitary to wash in hot water than to dry on high heat?
It isn't. But I air dry everything because I don't have a dryer. Hot water is also better at removing certain stains like grease. OTOH, hot water will set other stains like protein stains.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:52 pm
amother Denim wrote:
I was taught that hot water sets stains. Can someone help me here? I would love to use hot more often, but don't want the stains to set.

Heat sets protein stains and certain others. Hot water is better at removing grease, grime and ordinary dirt like socks that get black from walking around without shoes. Therefore, you need to know what is staining the item and treat it accordingly.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 10:59 pm
amother Blush wrote:
Heat from the dryer sets stains. Hot water removes them.

Sorry, you've been misinformed. Heat sets protein stains like milk, eggs, spitup, vomit and blood. (These all also have other components like fat and acid that complicate the issue.) Doesn't matter if the heat comes from the washer or the dryer or from sitting next to a radiator or on a hot automobile dashboard. Protein stains must be first washed in cold water and not exposed to heat until every last bit of the stain is gone. Heat cooks the protein into the fabric so that it is virtually impossible to remove.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:01 pm
I do dark colors on cold

Whites on hot and I only do one white load a week (Thursday)

Everything else on warm (underwear, socks, pjs, towels, linen…)

One shmatta load a week on hot

Bleemee

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:13 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Everything on warm (after reading a book about laundry) multiple times a week

Whites separate once a week

Shmattes and mop head - own load after cleaning lady leaves

Towels own load
Sheets own load

What is cold wash for?

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:29 pm
I learned this system from a course called " tischadesh".
I figured out how many loads I need to do per week so that I cover everything. I then divided those loads to two per day. One hanging load and one dryer load. Sometimes 3 loads if its something ez like towels that doesnt get hung or folded.
I follow my schedule and if I ever get backed up by a day because something came up, my kids always have clean clothing in the closet.
My hamper usually has things in it, but im ok with it. I know some ppl like empty hampers but not me. The idea isnt to cram all laundry at once, but to do it in bite size pieces throughout the week so it isnt overwhelming matching 42 pairs of socks at once.

Family of 7, only boys:
Motzei shabbos: dark hanging. Dark dryer.
Sunday: white hanging (shirts). White dryer.
Monday: dark hanging. Bath Towels. Iron shirts.
Tuesday: linen. Pjs and bedroom hand towels. Shmattas.
Wednesday: white hanging ( shirts. Tzitzis). White dryer.
Thursday: dark hanging. Dark dryer. Bath towels.
Friday: shmattas and kitchen towels.

-dark= cold. White= hot. Towels, linen, pjs= warm.
- linen I do two to four beds per week max. 3 bedrooms, and each room gets done once in 3 weeks. Unless a kid vomits or bedwets, then I do it asap.
- by dark I mean anything thats dark or colored, including tights, bras, tops, pants, skirts etc.
- sometimes if I have a shabbos top, I'll do a separate delicate cycle for that.
- no baby now, but I used to do baby strechies separate load.
- some loads can be pretty small sometimes, so I might combine all darks or all whites instead of making 2 separate, and I just remove the hanging stuff.
- I usually dry the hanging things for like 14 min. I use that time to race the timer and fold whatever is on the counter from the load before.
- if im on top of the schedule, I have zero laundry on Friday, other than the shmatta / towel load that can stay in the dryer over shabbos.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 11:46 pm
I do:
-Whites - hot - soaked over night with oxi
-Colored- warm or cool. Whatever needs to be hung in separate load. Or in sock bag if very few.
-Towels - warm

I don't think underwear needs to be done with hot water specifically.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 2:53 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Everything on warm (after reading a book about laundry) multiple times a week

Whites separate once a week

Shmattes and mop head - own load after cleaning lady leaves

Towels own load
Sheets own load

Why do you do everything on warm?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 3:50 pm
zaq wrote:
Sorry, you've been misinformed. Heat sets protein stains like milk, eggs, spitup, vomit and blood. (These all also have other components like fat and acid that complicate the issue.) Doesn't matter if the heat comes from the washer or the dryer or from sitting next to a radiator or on a hot automobile dashboard. Protein stains must be first washed in cold water and not exposed to heat until every last bit of the stain is gone. Heat cooks the protein into the fabric so that it is virtually impossible to remove.

Idk, that hasn't been my experience. Probably heating without soap sets protein stains but with soap it seems to come out better for me. My kids get tons of stains in their clothesbespecially from choclatey milk on Shabbos morning, all over tablecloths and white shirts. I tried washing w/ colder temps a few times bc the wash cycle is faster, but they did not come out well. I had to rewash. Lesson learned and I only wash with high heat now.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:53 pm
amother Blush wrote:
That's sorting, no? You're just doing the sorting before it goes in the wash vs after.

I used to have a similar system: one hamper each for dark, lights, white, and one hamper for linens. The kids were taught from an early age to put their stuff in the correct hamper, so the laundry essentially sorted itself. Some of the hampers have been replaced by baskets, but the system remains.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 6:00 pm
amother Blush wrote:

No, you do the sorting as you throw your stuff in the hamper, and it takes zero time. You put your colored skirt and underpants in colored, your white slip and blouse in white, and your black socks in dark. OK, maybe a millisecond longer than throwing it all into one hamper. But then you're not spending ten minutes per load pulling items apart and sorting them, before or after washing.

There's no point to sorting after you wash--if your black socks bled or shed black lint onto your white shirt, the damage is already done.

anony

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks all. I can’t wrap my head around washing underwear not on hot water… underwear especially kids is gross. I feel it needs the hot water.. am I wrong I like the one idea of everything on warm. Maybe I can try that.

I throw underwear in with warm. Everything is warm except nice shirts which I do in cold (separate light and dark).

If you feel like you need to do underwear hot I would throw in socks/ towels.

Agree with what a previous poster said… get separate laundry bins and throw in the different categories as you/your family members undress.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Feb 27 2024, 7:57 am
It never occurred to me to do hanging things separately.
Underwear gets perfectly clean using warm water as long as you are using soap/detergent. Don’t forget that it goes through the hot dryer too.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry