Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby’s eczema flares up after a bath
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:06 am
I would get an excellent water filter and see if it helps. There are so many toxins in municipal water that can potentially aggravate eczema. In addition to very clean, gentle soap fragrance free

teachkids

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 7:39 am
Cetaphil soap has wheat. We use dove sensitive bar soap for my ezcema babies. Some kids have a sensitivity to the chemicals in tap water and need it filtered if nothing else helps

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 8:02 am
Just a thought, is the bath clean? Can that have soap scum or any leftover residue?

srbmom

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 9:30 am
Quote:
We use dove sensitive bar soap for my ezcema babies

This is what my dr told us to use, only the bar, no liquid
And bathe once a week

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 9:36 am
teachkids wrote:
Cetaphil soap has wheat. We use dove sensitive bar soap for my ezcema babies. Some kids have a sensitivity to the chemicals in tap water and need it filtered if nothing else helps

Thank you! Will try both of those. How do I filter bath water?

mommyofgirls

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 9:38 am
I find that water aggravates my fungus even without using soap.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 9:39 am
This is what worked for me. Bathe him once a week, in lukewarm water. No fragrances in any soaps or detergents used in the house.
Tubby todd all over ointment. This is a Miracle cream. When there's a flare-up I used it 2-3 times a day and when he's clear, can do once a day for maintenance. Can't believe most people don't know about this. I'm so grateful to the one who told me about it when baby started getting eczema

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:09 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
This is what worked for me. Bathe him once a week, in lukewarm water. No fragrances in any soaps or detergents used in the house.
Tubby todd all over ointment. This is a Miracle cream. When there's a flare-up I used it 2-3 times a day and when he's clear, can do once a day for maintenance. Can't believe most people don't know about this. I'm so grateful to the one who told me about it when baby started getting eczema

Thank you!! What shampoo and laundry detergent do you use for your baby?

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 10:22 am
My baby has terrible eczema. Now his body is mostly clear, still has on his face, the type that people stop me in the street to comment and give advise.

I got this info from allergist and it worked great for him. I put him on soap out of the bath and wrap in in a towel and then put him in the bath. while hes in the bath I keep pouring water over the towel. He stays in the bath until his fingers and toes are wrinkled. This method was super super hydrating for his skin and all his patches that I couldn't get rid of with moisturizer went away with this method.
This obviously wont work if the soap you are using is irritating his skin.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:17 pm
Any recommendations for a natural baby shampoo?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 12:27 pm
My dc didn't have it as badly, but pretty bad during their childhood.
So while it's not directly related to your question, during the dry winter, or summer with lots of AC use - while it's a little high maintenance to consistently keep it clean & prevent mildew - we found using humidifiers helpful, kept one running through the night.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any recommendations for a natural baby shampoo?

My baby has eczema and I use the babyganics soap for her and it works well.
I bathe her every night but only use the soap twice a week

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 1:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Even a quick bath makes the eczema flare up terribly. Baby is miserable. Immediately after bath I cover baby with lotion. It helps minimally. Any advice? Any completely natural shampoo recommendations? (Currently using cetaphil baby shampoo)

It’s possible it’s the soaps and lotion
I have very sensitive skin and my baby does too I use cerave baby soap and moisturizer

happimom

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:09 pm
My daughter had this for years. I literally felt that she was allergic to water. After bath, shower, pool, sprinkler etc she would react. Her skin would get really red and splotchy and terribly itchy. It was so hard to deal with. She couldn't wash her hands netillat yadayim regularly.
Nothing really helped. Tried every remedy and idea.
Just validating that this is so so tough and yes, kids can react to water.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 2:39 pm
My now 6 yr old had this. His skin was so bad he looked like a burn victim. I stopped washing him completely. For 3 weeks I wiped him clean but didn't wash him. Then I washed him, not bathed him but a quick wash using mineral water heated up in a clean pot. I started doing that once a week. Then moved to tap water boiled in the kettle and cooled. After 3 months his eczema had cleared completely. He's been clear bH for nearly 4 years. Now I still only bathe him once a week but he is fine in the water, he has small patches of eczema behind his ears and knees but that's it. He can't tolerate water in a swimming pool to this day.

this was after 18 months of trying everything under the sun.

whoops

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:28 pm
Had few babys with eczema, hugs! It sooo difficult watching your little one suffer.

I bathed my kids 1 or 2 times per week, I added ACV and magnesium flakes in the water, used hand over heart shampoo and lotion, and before the lotion I sprayed him up with Dr. Wheatgrass skin recovery spray. This helped it feel better and reduced flares as long as we kept hisntriggers at bay. Good luck!!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!! What shampoo and laundry detergent do you use for your baby?

I use the sensitive baby dove head to toe wash. Green bottle. Or now I got from tubby todd a baby wash.
The laundry detergent u havta change for the whole family and it gets really aggravating that even fresh laundry no longer smells yum but it was what I needed to do. I found that even when he sat in my mother's lap, he would get irritated from her detergent. So all linen, towels and laundry is washed with All Free n clear. Free n clear oxi if needed. Nothing with a scent. I miss the fresh scent terribly but I love the soft skin more!

octopus

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:53 pm
Yes the whole house uses scent free detergent. I do not wear perfume either. Goodbye expensive perfume. That was a hard shift

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Even a quick bath makes the eczema flare up terribly. Baby is miserable. Immediately after bath I cover baby with lotion. It helps minimally. Any advice? Any completely natural shampoo recommendations? (Currently using cetaphil baby shampoo)

Water itself aggravates eczema. my dr said to wash hands with cold water after warm/hot if I wash up with soap, etc because warm/hot water is worse than cold for eczema. This is one of the reasons why I hate bathing my kids...eczema on my hands gets aggravated

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 6:55 pm
Have you tried hand over heart?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics