Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
PSA - Make sure what you are giving qualifies as 2 foods!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:51 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Can you please post a source for this? I’ve only ever heard two foods to one person.

I was just looking into this: https://www.chabad.org/holiday.....s.htm

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:52 pm
tichellady wrote:
It’s two portions. It can be the same food but enough for 2 people, like a big container of soup

The halacha is plural manos for one person, why would it be for 2 people the same food?

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:56 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The halacha is plural manos for one person, why would it be for 2 people the same food?

I’m not sure what you are saying but manot means portions

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:56 pm
zaq wrote:
AIUI, so long as you have the basic two foods that are the minimum for compliance, you can add anything else you want, including nonfoods. So, a box of tea and a box of biscuits, no good. A box of tea, a jar of preserves, a box of biscuits, a teapot and a strainer and a honey spoon, just fine. You have your preserves and your biscuits, both of which are foods ready to eat. Everything else is, you should excuse the expression, icing on the cake.

Actually it could be the preserves would be an issue as it's eaten as a topping to other foods and not generally by itself.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:58 pm
tichellady wrote:
I’m not sure what you are saying but manot means portions

איש לרעהו
Meaning 2 portions to one person, why would the same food in multiple portions because it's for more people be ok when the point is to feed one person 2 portions?

I know there's a minority opinion on this but I also know it's not accepted by most.

I found something that explains it better
https://jewishaction.com/relig.....anot/

I've definitely learned the psak of R' SZ Auerbach

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:04 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
איש לרעהו
Meaning 2 portions to one person, why would the same food in multiple portions because it's for more people be ok when the point is to feed one person 2 portions?

I know there's a minority opinion on this but I also know it's not accepted by most.

I found something that explains it better
https://jewishaction.com/relig.....anot/

I've definitely learned the psak of R' SZ Auerbach

It’s literally what the shulchan Aruch says. I give two things but it’s not just a random minority opinion

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:09 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
It’s actually only one that needs to be the correct way 🙂

Two prepared foods to one person .

Unless your married, and then its two (one from you and one from DH)

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 11:50 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

And it’s רעהו which is singular, which means one friend.
I read the link which was posted, but it’s not very helpful. Chabad.org is not a source, and he doesn’t give sources. There’s a link to click for more halachos, but I didn’t click on that. I’m curious to know what the source is that says two portions of the same food.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:55 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
And it’s רעהו which is singular, which means one friend.
I read the link which was posted, but it’s not very helpful. Chabad.org is not a source, and he doesn’t give sources. There’s a link to click for more halachos, but I didn’t click on that. I’m curious to know what the source is that says two portions of the same food.

The Jewish Action article linked above has good citations.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:57 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Actually it could be the preserves would be an issue as it's eaten as a topping to other foods and not generally by itself.

Yeah, my son's rebbe said about peanut butter "nobody eats it straight." Ahem. We do. Jam, honey and maple syrup also. Not by the half-cup as if it were yogurt or ice cream, but by the spoonful.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 7:25 am
tichellady wrote:
It’s literally what the shulchan Aruch says. I give two things but it’s not just a random minority opinion

It's how the SA is interpreted that makes one large item a minority opinion.
Of course it's 2 portions to one person, but one large container of soup as in your example would be disqualified by the majority of poskim as being 2.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 8:20 am
Not everyone is aware of this but there are opinions that water cannot be considered one of the foods

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:22 pm
I hope caramel popcorn and a bar of chocolate counts as 2 food items. Are they really food?? I think something like soup, chicken, rolls and cake is what is considered food items. Now I’m wondering about my caramel popcorn and chocolate…

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:32 pm
If it's for me, popcorn and chocolate are definitely food.

I'm waiting for some source to clarify about my taffies though. I should probably find something additional anyway because my packages are a little more sparse than I had envisioned, but we like to give a lot and that multiplies the budget really fast.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:36 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Not everyone is aware of this but there are opinions that water cannot be considered one of the foods

I asked a number of years ago about fancy bottled water, like Voss, and was told it's chashuv enough to serve guests and so can be counted as a min for MM.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:38 pm
seeker wrote:
If it's for me, popcorn and chocolate are definitely food.

I'm waiting for some source to clarify about my taffies though. I should probably find something additional anyway because my packages are a little more sparse than I had envisioned, but we like to give a lot and that multiplies the budget really fast.

I understand that a package of taffies is considered its own Min, but 2 taffies thrown into the MM not so much.
A small pkg of popcorn. A packaged chocolate. No problem. 5 kernels popcorn or 2 chocolate beans, not so much.

Maybe package up a couple of taffys to make it into a portion. That will surely be considered a Min.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....;th=1

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 2:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I understand that a package of taffies is considered its own Min, but 2 taffies thrown into the MM not so much.
A small pkg of popcorn. A packaged chocolate. No problem. 5 kernels popcorn or 2 chocolate beans, not so much.

Maybe package up a couple of taffys to make it into a portion. That will surely be considered a Min.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....;th=1

Thanks!
Still looking for source material.
Also does it make a difference if the taffies are loose or bagged if it's the same amount? Individually wrapped taffies. My whole mm is a similar type of cellophane bag like the one you posted but bigger. Going to include one larger item and a handful of taffies with a card. Do I need to bag up the handful of taffies?

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 2:59 pm
zaq wrote:
Yeah, my son's rebbe said about peanut butter "nobody eats it straight." Ahem. We do. Jam, honey and maple syrup also. Not by the half-cup as if it were yogurt or ice cream, but by the spoonful.

We eat it straight! My kids eat it by the bowl full. Nutella too.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 3:01 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
I hope caramel popcorn and a bar of chocolate counts as 2 food items. Are they really food?? I think something like soup, chicken, rolls and cake is what is considered food items. Now I’m wondering about my caramel popcorn and chocolate…

It’s good enough for me!

Shuly

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 11:56 am
I don't think an apple and a dried apple work since they are the same food. An apple and an orange are fine even though they are the same bracha because they are 2 different things.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics