Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Taking away others cleaning help erev pesach
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:34 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
This is something to think about. If we are working our cleaning ladies extra hard erev pesach then consider paying overtime or a bonus. They are people not posessions.

Most people I know, give bonuses & gifts erev yom tov.

Goody2shoes

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:36 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Maybe I think Hashem cares more about the crumbs in my outlet than about the mitzvas of Ben Adam L’chavero-whether I mess over my neighbors erev YT or my help when Pesach is over and I no longer want the hours.
I am getting myself to Gan Eden irrelevant of whom I need to steam-roll to get there.

I really really really hope this is sarcastic.
I can't imagine anyone sitting by their seder with this attitude.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:52 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I don't think she's my property, I think she's a valued employee that me and my kids have an excellent relationship with. She very much does want to travel with us.

I'm travelling for pesach, I know what my neighbours plans are:) Cooking, cleaning and hosting

Under the circumstances I would also bring my full time cleaning woman who wanted to travel with her.

Although she will probably help, it is also probably a vacation for her as well.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 3:56 pm
If you treat your valued cleaning lady extremely well, she would have no incentive to leave you in the lurch.

Also Pesach isn't a surprise. Book her well in advance for a significant number of hours and pay her extra because of the extra work.

I don't understand how people can resent hard working woman doing what is best for them. They are merely taking advantage of supply and demand.

How many of you pay your cleaning woman when you can't use her for some reason?

How many paid her through the pandemic if she didn't come.

My cleaning woman isn't full time but I pay her very generously - give her money for winter, Thanksgiving and spring holidays. I give her vacation. I paid for her time off when she had breast cancer and was having surgery. I paid her throughout the pandemic when I didn't want her to come.

She isn't going anywhere because she almost certainly is not going to get the same consideration elsewhere.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:13 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
If you treat your valued cleaning lady extremely well, she would have no incentive to leave you in the lurch.

Also Pesach isn't a surprise. Book her well in advance for a significant number of hours and pay her extra because of the extra work.

I don't understand how people can resent hard working woman doing what is best for them. They are merely taking advantage of supply and demand.

My cleaning woman isn't full time but I pay her very generously - give her money for winter, Thanksgiving and spring holidays. I give her vacation. I paid for her time off when she had breast cancer and was having surgery. I paid her throughout the pandemic when I didn't want her to come.

She isn't going anywhere because she almost certainly is not going to get the same consideration elsewhere.

Until somebody says they'll pay her an extra $2 an hour, watch how fast she runs.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:16 pm
amother Iris wrote:
Until somebody says they'll pay her an extra $2 an hour, watch how fast she runs.

I pay her about $40 an hour - just raised her.

She isn't going anywhere Smile

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
Erev pesach season is here, and the cleaning lady stealing has begun.
Many of us are having our part time cleaning ladies not show because others have offered them more hours till after pesach.
I just want to make other's aware that if you have a part time cleaning lady & ask them to take on more hours before pesach, or if you stop a cleaning lady you see on the street & ask her to come work for you, you are most likely causing another jewish women to stay without cleaning help erev pesach.
Please be considerate to others and think before you act.
Thanks!

I really don't understand how someone can stop a random woman on the street and assume she's a cleaning lady, or why someone would want to hire a stranger off the street. This actually happens?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:30 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
I really don't understand how someone can stop a random woman on the street and assume she's a cleaning lady, or why someone would want to hire a stranger off the street. This actually happens?

Yes in the imamother universe where anyone who looks a certain way is a cleaning woman or a gardener. LOL It is a special power that imamothers who live in cloistered neighborhoods acquire at the same time they start covering their hair. Hiding

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:43 pm
amother Iris wrote:

Isn’t that completely rational behavior?

I’m perplexed at the idea that cleaning women - or anyone who works! - shouldn’t go where they’ll make the most $$.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:43 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:

so now the women from down the block doesn't have her usual 2 hr cleaning slot since before Purim you told her you will want extra hours so she told the other lady I cant come my son is having surgery until after Pesach....

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:48 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
so now the women from down the block doesn't have her usual 2 hr cleaning slot since before Purim you told her you will want extra hours so she told the other lady I cant come my son is having surgery until after Pesach....

Supply and demand.

I really doubt that most people are going to turn down a raise because it might possibly negatively impact someone.

All of those who think this is wrong - how loyal are you to your cleaners?

As I asked - do you pay them when they are sick? do you give them a vacation pay? Do you cancel without paying them if it is inconvenient to you.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:49 pm
I once saw a cleaning lady in my neighbors yard playing on the swing set. I knew that the CL and kids weren’t my neighbor so I asked her if she had a friend who was available. This WAS NOT before pesach, tho. The CL called me and told me she was available because she quit working for the other lady, would I want to hire her. I was offering more hours and the other woman was rude and not pleasant she said. ( I happen to know that’s a true statement) I hired her. The other woman had a tynah against me for years. I didn’t feel I stole her but she clearly did.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:52 pm
I have a lady coming 3 days a week. I have no idea where she works the other 2 days. I don't see any reason I can't ask her if she has extra time for me if I need it. If I employed someone and I knew she also worked at my neighbor, my friend, some other Jewish family - ok, that's questionable behavior because she'd have to dump someone else to come to me. But since I have no clue who she works for, why should I not be able to ask her for more help when I need it and give the benefit of doubt that she isn't going to be stupid enough to drop a regular client just to give me more hours short term?

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 4:53 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
I pay her about $30 an hour - just raised her.

She isn't going anywhere Smile

Good for you, you're rich. You know most people can't afford that, right? Because from your post it sounds like you're talking to women in the same income bracket as you. I don't even earn that much, you want me to pay my cleaning help that amount so that she doesn't go running the second somebody offers to pay her $2 more?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:00 pm
amother Iris wrote:
Good for you, you're rich. You know most people can't afford that, right? Because from your post it sounds like you're talking to women in the same income bracket as you. I don't even earn that much, you want me to pay my cleaning help that amount so that she doesn't go running the second somebody offers to pay her $2 more?

I was responding to someone who was mocking me by saying that I was naive essentially to think that my cleaner wouldn't leave for $2.

So I responded with the truth of my relationship with my cleaner.

But if you are grudgingly paying the least amount you can get away with and asking your cleaner to work very hard for that amount, of course they are going to do whatever is necessary to earn more money when they can.

You view them as fungible less than people who are commodities and who should have no right to do what is best for them because you need them at a specific time.

Pay them enough so that they don't have an incentive to go to another place and your problem is solved.

Pay them as little as you can get away with and have them do as much work as you can get out of them and they will probably find another place to work when it is offered to them.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:02 pm
amother Iris wrote:

Why shouldn’t she have the choice to go where she’s making more money? That's capitalism.

And she’s a person, not your possession.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:22 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Why shouldn’t she have the choice to go where she’s making more money? That's capitalism.

And she’s a person, not your possession.

Did you read my original post?? Probably not. I never said that they shouldn't go. Where did I write that another human is my possession???
Some posters love to post things to make themselves feel good so they read two words, with zero reading comprehension and post things totally out of context.

GLUE

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:26 pm
amother Celeste wrote:

I was approached a few times in the street by women asked me if I want a cleaning lady.
I know people who hired them and will hire such women.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:29 pm
GLUE wrote:
I was approached a few times in the street by women asked me if I want a cleaning lady.
I know people who hired them and will hire such women.

Same.

Depends where you live.

Where I live they are usually from specific countries and its not hard to be able to tell.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 5:32 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
I was responding to someone who was mocking me by saying that I was naive essentially to think that my cleaner wouldn't leave for $2.

So I responded with the truth of my relationship with my cleaner.

But if you are grudgingly paying the least amount you can get away with and asking your cleaner to work very hard for that amount, of course they are going to do whatever is necessary to earn more money when they can.

You view them as fungible less than people who are commodities and who should have no right to do what is best for them because you need them at a specific time.

Pay them enough so that they don't have an incentive to go to another place and your problem is solved.

Pay them as little as you can get away with and have them do as much work as you can get out of them and they will probably find another place to work when it is offered to them.

We pay our cleaning help generously. Give bonus. Pay for when I cancel her. Give her meals. Treat her well. Yet come erev pesach, they suddenly found work elsewhere.
Treating them the best, doesn't help the pre pesach poaching situation.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette