Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Haman on a Tree - Kids projects
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:53 pm
Rappel wrote:
Why train them to focus on vengeance, rather than Mordechai, who was a true leader of Israel and someone to learn from?

That mitzvah comes into play when a man is 20. Until then, he needs to build himself into a Mordechai in order to be worthy of it.

Do they not spend tons of time on Mordechai? If I recall correctly 99% of the chinuch focuses on emunah, the greatness of tzadikim, Hashem's power etc. And of course there will be mention and focus on the evildoers. We learn from them too.

I've never heard of focusing on vengeance. Is that something your children bring home?

A craft with haman hanging on a tree is not about vengeance. It's literally a fact of history and our children must learn it too. If they weren't supposed to, it wouldn't have been added to the megillah.

Should we not spin the gragger when we hear Haman's name? Definitely too much celebration there! What other mimhagim will we disregard because of people's misplaced kindness and discomfort? Oysh.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:59 pm
Haman hanging on the gallows is literally the punchline of the story. ונהפך Haman built the gallows for Mordechai. It’s a very big part of the story.

But public displays of nooses should be avoided in our culture where it is contributed to kkk.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does it bother anyone when kids come home with a project of Haman hanging on a tree?

Am I the only one who finds it disturbing?

Great way to stir up controversy and draw the woke out of the woodwork.

Who remembers the thread where people wanted to rewrite the megilla altogether?

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:03 pm
patzer wrote:
I think that this conversation should be relocated to a more private forum.
I don't think anyone here wants to find themselves being quoted on Reddit tomorrow.

What’s so scary about being quoted on Reddit? The posters there are just a bunch of bored people like us LOL We’re more the same than we’re different. As long as you don’t post anything racist, which you shouldn’t do on a private forum either.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:04 pm
groisamomma wrote:

Right? The feminists! Flatbush girl is all about it.

pinkpeonies

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:07 pm
csstb wrote:
Great, so I’ll go with בנפל אויביך אל תשמח instead.

This is a conversation between haman and mordechai in the medrash. Haman asks mordechai, doesn’t it say “ בנפל אויביך אל תשמח” in the Torah?
Mordechai answered him that it only applies when the אויבים are Jews, and we are actually supposed to step on their high places, hence mordechai stepping on haman a back deliberately when he climbed on the horse.

Stop taking modern day PC culture and applying it to Torah

Odelyah

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:09 pm
Rappel wrote:
Why train them to focus on vengeance, rather than Mordechai, who was a true leader of Israel and someone to learn from?

That mitzvah comes into play when a man is 20. Until then, he needs to build himself into a Mordechai in order to be worthy of it.

While I agree with with the point a poster made, that we focus on Mordechai a lot too, I have to say that I like this sentence a lot.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:13 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Why? It's the Purim story.

There are so many other parts of the Purim story that kids can make a project from. Why does it need to be haman hanging from a tree?

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:22 pm
How does not doing art projects involving hanging someone from a tree equate to censorship and woke mentality. It's a fact that many things in chumash are glossed over when taught to young children in school. It's not censorship. Just not everything needs to be highlighted to the extent that it's featured on art projects.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
How does not doing art projects involving hanging someone from a tree equate to censorship and woke mentality. It's a fact that many things in chumash are glossed over when taught to young children in school. It's not censorship. Just not everything needs to be highlighted to the extent that it's featured on art projects.

The question is, why are you ladies so against it?

It appears to be very much a woke mentality. People hanging is yuck, but it's part of the story and the teacher brought it into the classroom in an age appropriate way. Why are you upset?

No to mention all the misunderstandings of chazal and psukim in this thread alone. What else should we make of this other than wokeism?

sushilover

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:29 pm
Is it also disgusting when the kids come home with their makos projects pesach time?

Like hello, thousands of Egyptians died. They went a week with no water, dying from dehydration, surrounded by the smell of death and blood. And we have our 4 years olds celebrate the pain by bringing cups painted red.
There is so much more to focus on in the pesach story. Why do we have to flaunt the death and pain of the Egyptians?

synthy

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:30 pm
pinkpeonies wrote:
This is a conversation between haman and mordechai in the medrash. Haman asks mordechai, doesn’t it say “ בנפל אויביך אל תשמח” in the Torah?
Mordechai answered him that it only applies when the אויבים are Jews, and we are actually supposed to step on their high places, hence mordechai stepping on haman a back deliberately when he climbed on the horse.

Stop taking modern day PC culture and applying it to Torah
came here to post this!

csstb

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:31 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Could not agree less.

Would you like Hashem to have skipped over how Haman was killed? Maybe he should have alluded to him being hanged by just saying "Haman was taken care of"

This is so so PC, woke, liberal, whatever you want to call it.

I wouldn't hang a dummy from my yard because it's creepy and I don't think we need to draw attention to ourselves like that. But for kids to come home with haman hanging from a tree is literally a way to bring the story to life. It's part of purim which is a day of celebration.

I’m not convinced you read my post. Please reread. (And if you won’t take the time to do that, at least read the rest of this one.) Obviously if I’m okay with a coloring page depicting Haman on a tree, I’m not looking for the story to be scrubbed.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:33 pm
csstb wrote:
I’m not convinced you read my post. Please reread. (And if you won’t take the time to do that, at least read the rest of this one.) Obviously if I’m okay with a coloring page depicting Haman on a tree, I’m not looking for the story to be scrubbed.

I'm responding to your post and to this thread as a whole.

If you are okay with coloring pictures, I don't see why you should be against a craft....

csstb

sushilover wrote:
Is it also disgusting when the kids come home with their makos projects pesach time?

Like hello, thousands of Egyptians died. They went a week with no water, dying from dehydration, surrounded by the smell of death and blood. And we have our 4 years olds celebrate the pain by bringing cups painted red.
There is so much more to focus on in the pesach story. Why do we have to flaunt the death and pain of the Egyptians?

I don’t know about you, but I drip wine out of my kos at the makkos.
I’ve also never seen my kids come home with 3-D images of dead Egyptians.

synthy

Maybe we should stop gragering when Haman’s name is mentioned in the Megillah? Why focus on him? Let’s applaud every time Mordechai or Esther’s name is said.

csstb

amother Aquamarine wrote:
I'm responding to your post and to this thread as a whole.

If you are okay with coloring pictures, I don't see why you should be against a craft....

That was literally the point of that whole post you responded to. Once again, please reread it and you will find the answer.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:35 pm
csstb wrote:
I don’t know about you, but I drip wine out of my kos at the makkos.
I’ve also never seen my kids come home with 3-D images of dead Egyptians.

So the issue is that it's graphic?

By the way, there are plenty of coloring pages that come home from school with dead Egyptions. Not to mention the beautiful haggadahs with illustrations.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:36 pm
csstb wrote:
That was literally the point of that whole post you responded to. Once again, please reread it and you will find the answer.

Not sure what I'm missing. You said that the craft means we are celebrating and I responded that it's really not. What am I misunderstanding?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:36 pm
groisamomma wrote:

It’s woke to be bothered by a child coming home with a project of haman hanging from a tree?
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics