Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How to address DD's acne
Previous  1  2

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:39 pm
I’m in my 30s and have been on the Rx spironolactone for a few years. It changed my life and took away my (not terrible, but consistent) acne!

Can young girls take spirolactone? I’m also wondering as my 10 year old is starting to show tiny blackheads and if she has my genes it will get worse as she hits her teens.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:41 pm
When dd is consistent with taking DIM, vitex, white peony, saw palmetto, her skin is much clearer. Also when she avoids dairy.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:41 pm
Saralle wrote:
If you want to solve the problem from the inside out, DM me.
I'm also curious

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:06 pm
I feel like nobody read my post?

I'm not asking about acne treatment, I can figure that out on my own.

I'm asking HOW to bring up the topic with DD in a sensitive way.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:46 am
oh! Sorry. lol. You could Ross Greene it...... "I've noticed that you're not so into a proper skin care routine these days... what's up with that?" and see what she says. And offer help if she wants it..... at her age though, even if she doesn't want it, you could put it in the category of meds, tooth brushing and hair brushing--- it's just part of the routine she MUST follow. Like my kids don't get a choice about taking meds etc....---- washing face/ acne gel/etc is part of that.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 12:51 am
Bleemee wrote:
Why are drugstore brands not good enough?

you get what you pay for. You end up needing a lot more of an inferior product for a fraction of the effect. You do twice a day with a quality brand that is formulated for the cleanser/moisturizer/serums/etc to work together with laboratory oversight, it's a different experience completely. I did use drugstore stuff in my teens, knowing no better. It's like buying cheap clothing--- it might rip within the year--- but a good quality dress will LAST. You also want a company that will refund your money if you have an allergic reaction, no questions asked.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:16 am
amother OP wrote:
My DD is 11.5. She started getting some pimples here and there a year or so ago. At the time we talked about how it's part of puberty, I had them when I was her age, here's a cream she can use. She tried the cream once or twice but told me she didn't like how it felt (you know the way acne cream kind of feels tight on your face once it's dry?) and I think she was also self-conscious that it's a little visible on the face even after it dries. I dropped it at that point and didn't push.

In the last few weeks it's gotten a lot worse, she has probably 20+ pimples on her forehead and cheeks. I think she picks at them also. Do I bring it up again? Check if she still has the cream I bought her? Nag her to use it? I don't want her to get a complex about the pimples making her unattractive- but as a mother is it my responsibility to make sure she takes care of this appropriately?

Take her for for facials at a excellent esthetician ( do research) and to a dermatologist. This is really important and you should take it seriously. I hope her face clears up soon.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:22 am
amother OP wrote:

Giving her an OTC cream isn’t going to do the trick. You need to take her for a facial to clear her out and then start on on a good skin care regimen , look into the company Paula’s Choice. She should wash her face with a cleanser and moisturize. During the day she needs sunscreen,
that won’t clog her pores. Paula’s Choice has an excellent Clear sunscreen that works well with acne prone skin.
Take her to the dermatologist asap. Having an excellent skincare regimen along with meds from the derm can transform one’s face in a few months.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 1:24 am
I would talk to her and encourage getting it treated, explain that it could leave scarring. If she really doesn’t mind it and isn’t motivated to treat it I wouldn’t push it. If she just doesn’t have patience for creams you can try pills from a dermatologist.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:10 am
It's bothering her even if she's not discussing it with you. SHE CAN BE LEFT WITH LIFELONG SCARRING ON HER FACE LIKE I HAVE. PLEASE TAKE HER TO A DERMATOLOGIST AND GET HER CREAM. Say to her, honey you've got quite a few pimples on your face, we're going to get you a good cream because you don't want to be left with pitted holes in your face ok?

It's really not so hard.

mattel25

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:27 pm
I agree with everyone who've mentioned telling your DD about the possibility of permanent pitted and indented scars. These aren't your typical dark marks or post-inflammatory hyperpigmention (PIH) that acne usually leaves but are atrophic scars that look like pockmarks or holes and are way harder to treat (near impossible in some cases depending on skin type). No topicals work for removing indented scars. The only existing treatments are fraxel laser (which doesn't work for everyone and in many cases can make your skin worse), microneedling (I've seen reviews that said it made the pitted scars worse), dermal fillers to fill in the holes (have to be maintained every few months).

I know you aren't looking for specific treatments but I just thought I'd also mention what works for me whenever I get a breakout. 20% azaleic acid gel or cream (prescription only in the US, I order mine online from Australia), and for maintenance Paula's Choice 2% salicylic acid.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

Bring it up like a medical issue, not an aesthetic issue.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:03 pm
mattel25 wrote:
I agree with everyone who've mentioned telling your DD about the possibility of permanent pitted and indented scars. These aren't your typical dark marks or post-inflammatory hyperpigmention (PIH) that acne usually leaves but are atrophic scars that look like pockmarks or holes and are way harder to treat (near impossible in some cases depending on skin type). No topicals work for removing indented scars. The only existing treatments are fraxel laser (which doesn't work for everyone and in many cases can make your skin worse), microneedling (I've seen reviews that said it made the pitted scars worse), dermal fillers to fill in the holes (have to be maintained every few months).

I know you aren't looking for specific treatments but I just thought I'd also mention what works for me whenever I get a breakout. 20% azaleic acid gel or cream (prescription only in the US, I order mine online from Australia), and for maintenance Paula's Choice 2% salicylic acid.

Why is everyone so intent on scaring her daughter. It’s the mom who needs the wake up a call to deal with this asap before there are lasting physical and emotional scars.
Op, it’s not a big deal to say we are going to the derm, how about we stop for coffees on the way to make it more exciting.

Paula’s choice 2% is great but their 4% BHA and 8% Glycolic Acid ( AHA) are really amazing. Highly recommend.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children