Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Oven breaking because of self-cleaning
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Cmon be nice

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 5:51 am
mom_13 wrote:
And make sure no part of the oven is covered when self cleaning and have windows open if possible, the fresh air circulating around the oven helps. I always line everything after self cleaning my oven.

Why do you line the oven? The self clean kashers everything

Success10

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 5:58 am
I think if they built the feature into the oven then they should replace it if that's what broke it, no? Were any of you covered by warrantee? We have a smaller countertop Pesach oven.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:07 am
Success10 wrote:
I think if they built the feature into the oven then they should replace it if that's what broke it, no? Were any of you covered by warrantee? We have a smaller countertop Pesach oven.

Bh I have a warranty waiting for the company to respond. I don’t have the serial number since the door is locked and can’t open. So service might take longer until they come down

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:17 am
My oven repair man who fixed my oven after self cleaning it said in the future to always pull the oven away from the wall before self cleaning.

So far no more broken ovens since then. Bli ayin hara!!

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:28 am
I had my single oven break a few years ago due to self cleaning. We were told by our rav to put the oven on 500 instead. Never self cleaning again.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:39 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
I had my single oven break a few years ago due to self cleaning. We were told by our rav to put the oven on 500 instead. Never self cleaning again.

The reason people do self clean is because it cleans and kashers. Running at 500 only kashers so you still have to clean the oven first.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:45 am
amother Heather wrote:
The reason people do self clean is because it cleans and kashers. Running at 500 only kashers so you still have to clean the oven first.

Yes, obviously. Its worth cleaning it though so I don't have to deal with a broken oven imo.

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 6:50 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
The appliance store says that starting about 20 years ago they began to put computer chip planels in ovens. These are very sensitive to heay an break from the self clean. I asked why the feature exists if it breaks the oven and he shrugged.

Range ovens also break! But wall ovens seem particularly sensitive.

I was told the same…. When my oven broke after self cleaning. Most appliance repair people will tell you never to use the function. Personally, we’ve lost maybe 5 ovens to self clean over the many years.

Maryann

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:08 am
What does line the oven meam

mizle10

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:30 am
My high end single wall oven broke from self clean twice! The first time I thought was a fluke, paid for repairs. Second time I paid for repairs again and will never use is again.

greengrapes

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:30 am
How long does the oven need to be on 500 to kasher?

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:35 am
greengrapes wrote:
How long does the oven need to be on 500 to kasher?

40 minutes.
But you have the clean the oven twice with caustic cleaning products before kashering this way for pesach.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:58 am
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
What brand/oven?
General Electric oven, I do the 3 hour plus cleaning, I only do it once a year for pesach though.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 7:59 am
My high end oven doesn’t come with a self clean feature. I guess this is why..

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:05 am
chestnut wrote:
What do you use to clean spills?
Do you self clean for 3h or more?
I use NSR spray, it's a non toxic, kosher degreaser.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:20 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
40 minutes.
Bit you have the clean the oven twice with caustic cleaning products before kashering this way for pesach.

Why twice?
My oven also broke from self cleaning, but to be fair it only broke after 6 yrs and I would us self clean a few times a year.
Of course it broke after my 5 yr insurance ran out

DH fixed it
I researched on google, bought the 2 part and he changed it. The parts were $30 each
I figured, if it didn’t work then I’ll call the repair guy. It worked , B”H.

I’m having my cleaning lady clean the oven this yr.
And then DH will use a blow torch on the racks , and put the oven to 550.
I have the racks on my balcony in plastic bags with ammonia on the bottom. I put them in last night They say the fumes degrease. Hope it works

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:23 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
Why twice?
My oven also broke from self cleaning, but to be fair it only broke after 6 yrs and I would us self clean a few times a year.

DH fixed it
I researched on google, bought the 2 part and he changed it. The parts were $30 each

I have the racks on my balcony in plastic bags with ammonia on the bottom. I put them in last night They say the fumes degrease. Hope it works
Which parts did you need to replace?
And yes, the amonia works, mine is soaking in it now as well. Sometimes I do it twice if the dirt is really encrusted.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:26 am
watergirl wrote:
I was told the same…. When my oven broke after self cleaning. Most appliance repair people will tell you never to use the function. Personally, we’ve lost maybe 5 ovens to self clean over the many years.
Five ovens?! Mindboggling Surprised

raka

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:28 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
Why twice?

DH fixed it

Where did you find big enough bags to soak the racks in ? Can’t seem to figure out a solution for oven racks

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:43 am
amother Thistle wrote:
Which parts did you need to replace?
And yes, the amonia works, mine is soaking in it now as well. Sometimes I do it twice if the dirt is really encrusted.

I have a Kitchenaid
I bought a fuse and a new thermometer (I’m not sure what the pieces were called)
I looked on YouTube for a video on how to fix. It seemed easy enough so I went for it
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics