Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Anyone have the "no tasting before Shabbos rule?"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chavamom

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:10 am
e1234 wrote:
my husband claims it's a mitzva to taste shabbos food erev shabbos and he is very makpid about it..

IIRC, it's a halacha mentioned in the MB. That's why I was surprised to see that many had a "no tasting" rule.

greentiger

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:14 am
I think the "no tasting rule" means no taking heaping platefuls and not nesescarly not to lick a spoonful (which is the type of tasting the mb is talking about).

grin

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:14 am
yes, we also have those that snitch "just a piece" on the excuse of "have to taste before Shabbos" rule, and they all say that it's because they like it better fresh and hot - and not to worry that there won't be enough because they'll eat less on Shabbos. Doesn't make too much sense to me, but there's no stopping teens when they're staring at (and helping to cook) all that great food!

cubbie

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:26 am
In summer I make enough to give the girls whatever we're eating on Friday night for lunch on Friday, my younger dd is always asleep by dinner and my older dd stays up but isn't really hungry by that time. In winter when they're both at the table eating with us, I make them something different for Friday lunch. Dh & I sometimes taste, but not usually.

mamacita

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 4:06 am
It's one of my fave mitzvahs to taste! Smile So hard when I leave a salad to make before the seuda cuz I can't taste even the dressing! One reason to make my own kiddush, lol.

sarahd

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 4:27 am
I am the worst offender when it comes to this, so I can hardly stop my family from tasting too. So far we have "tasted" three rows of Shabbos cake (I think I had almost two of those rows) - and I've tasted all the salads I made, and nice heaping plates at that.

Dh eats the wings off the chicken before Shabbos and I can't go into Shabbos without having had at least one bowl of chicken soup.

The potato kugel mostly gets eaten before Shabbos. At the seuda we have a symbolic piece, unless we're having guests.

B"H I can say that at least there's one mitzva in which I am mehader...Toameho. Rolling Eyes

Metukah

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 4:43 am
hila wrote:

hope his fiancee knowshow to make good soup. he is her responsibility from next week beH !

Mazel Tov Hila!!

On thurs night I make the kugel and I make extra to eat that night for supper. On friday afternoon we taste the cholent! my husband really just tastes it (he likes to be very hungry at the Friday night meal - I dont) and I like to have a little more than just a taste!
In my mothers house the cholent is made mainly to be eaten on friday!

Zus

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:15 am
it sounds like most people here call 'tasting' what I call eating!. IMO it's tasting when you can just use a fork or spoon. If you need a plate, it's eating.

My DH also says that it's a mitzva to taste all the shabbes food before and to say: this food is לכבוד שבת קודש.
The food comes out better this way.

I don't like anybody to *eat* shabbes food before shabbes.

Seraph

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:33 am
I dont cook meals friday lunch, and often not thursday night either. if you eat something, its leftovers, or shabbos food "tastes". however, fish and chicken I make just exactly the right amount, so no tastes of that before shabbos...

shalhevet

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 5:54 am
Those who eat (rather than taste), and especially those who eat so much that there's only enough left to taste for Shabbos (Rolling Eyes) are hardly making the food l'kovod Shabbos.

The mitzva is to make special food l'kovod Shabbos - the tasting is to make sure it came out well (actually I need to be more makpid on this part) - if you eat ample portions on Friday you are showing that you are not saving your best for Shabbos. And those who just 'can't resist' eating whole meals so there's almost nothing left - have you heard of self control? Once people would eat bread and herring all week (when it was cheap and they were lucky enough to have something with the bread) and would just scrape enough together to have delicious food for Shabbos only.

greentiger

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 6:00 am
And there is specifically an inyan not to eat heavy food on friday.

cookielady

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:21 am
shalhevet wrote:
Those who eat (rather than taste), and especially those who eat so much that there's only enough left to taste for Shabbos (Rolling Eyes) are hardly making the food l'kovod Shabbos.

The mitzva is to make special food l'kovod Shabbos - the tasting is to make sure it came out well (actually I need to be more makpid on this part) - if you eat ample portions on Friday you are showing that you are not saving your best for Shabbos. And those who just 'can't resist' eating whole meals so there's almost nothing left - have you heard of self control? Once people would eat bread and herring all week (when it was cheap and they were lucky enough to have something with the bread) and would just scrape enough together to have delicious food for Shabbos only.

Even though you make us sound like glutinous people, I would beg to differ. Often I make a lot more of something so that erev shabbos I have something to serve guests, kids etc, since we wont eat until much later. I hazard to guess, it would be even harder erev Shabbos to prepare a whole different menu for guests, kids etc to eat, in addition to food for Shabbos.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:27 am
shalhevet wrote:

thank you that's what I mean ...

now I don't need to taste - I know it's good Drunken Smile

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:32 am
When I was single and at home, my mom would make kugels, cakes etc. When we went near it she would warn "I'll CHOP your hands off!" (the running joke) and that was that. So, I resolved to try to have enough of what I make so that whoever wants can have on Friday afternoon.

Funny, the things that stay with you...

Fox

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 10:34 am
I usually buy a coffee cake or some other food for Friday afternoon nibbling that is a bit more special than what I'd offer on a weekday, but isn't part of the Shabbos menu, either. I'd love to have the minhag of "tasting", but by the time everyone had his/her taste, there would be nothing left, and the Shabbos meals would be consumed on Erev Shabbos.

DefyGravity

I try everything.

Tehilla

anyone who wants can have a little. I usually purposefully make an extra couple of pieces of chicken or whatever so there's enough for tasting. Smile

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 11:18 am
oh I will allow a sneak snack if I have a cake or cookies ... but never a pie or cheesecake ...

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 11:21 am
No tasting!

sky

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 11:32 am
Tamiri - no fair! That looks delicious.

I always remember the story about the Baba Sali - when he married his 3rd wife and they were spending their first shabbos together his second wife sent the food. She figured the new wife wouldn't realize that the Baba Sali liked to taste everything before shabbos and unless there was extra there wouldn't be enough for shabbos itself. So she sent extra so the new wife would not be embarrassed that there was not enough on shabbos itself.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus