Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Anyone have the "no tasting before Shabbos rule?"
Previous  1  2  3

sarahd

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 11:48 am
Wow, tamiri - your family are lucky people! What's the white thing?

octopus

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 1:49 pm
I did not know baba sali had 3 wives. simultaneously? I'm asking seriously.

sky

Post Fri, Sep 05 2008, 3:15 pm
Yep! As far as I was told. I think his first wife was very elderly and living in Yerushaleum when he married his third.
I actually went to his third wife for a bracha about 8 years ago. She married him young and never remarried afterwords.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 12:59 pm
sarahd wrote:
Wow, tamiri - your family are lucky people! What's the white thing?

Whole kernel tehina (it has a better flavor than regular) with pilpel shuma.
I thought the tray looked so nice as I prepared it Friday afternoon, couldn't resist showing off. Sometimes I put the salads in little glass bowls but this is so much easier.

mamacita

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 4:26 pm
Beautiful dish of salads Tamiri! It's our favorite course, although my eggplant allergy would cause me to avoid the whole lot just in case, separate bowls also mean no olive juice in the pickles, I hate that! Smile

I have been super peeved a few times when guests have come before shabbos, from close by, not too far before shabbos and have asked for food food, and since I didn't expect to feed them more than snacks I've had to break into my shabbos food. One time they finished off my whole kugel and I had to bake a few potatoes right at candlelighting time to have something to serve.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 5:13 pm
My father always has cholent on Friday afternoon, but the rest of us didnt really. When I got married and I was cooking exactly enough pieces of fish or chicken, I always got frustrated that DH wanted a taste, or wanted to cut into the kugel.
Eventually I realised that for DH is more important than all the guests, and I make sure to make extra of everything, and I too bad if the kugel is not a perfect circle anymore, my Sholom Bayis is more important. I also try to make the things like rice and coleslaw, which I always have lots of, and DH likes, earlier in the day, so that he can have that instead of the things that are more counted out. And any leftovers, we have Sunday, so I dont mind making extra.

chavamom

Post Sat, Sep 06 2008, 9:56 pm
Recipes Tamiri?

familyfirst

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:04 pm
My kids eat chicken and kugel Erev Shabbos. That way I know they've technically eaten, and I don't mind if they fall asleep on the couch (or on the floor!) Friday night!

mandksima

Post Sun, Sep 07 2008, 5:06 pm
familyfirst wrote:
My kids eat chicken and kugel Erev Shabbos. That way I know they've technically eaten, and I don't mind if they fall asleep on the couch (or on the floor!) Friday night!

We ALL actually eat the chicken soup erev Shabbos. We get too full with all the courses Fri night so I don't serve it at the meal unless we have guests.

chanagital

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 7:53 pm
That makes no sense what the SIL does. It's very appropriate and traditional to make sure the Shabbos food is spiced and cooked properly by tasting it first.

hillary

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:08 pm
Tasting only applies to foods that can be repaired. Cake and kugel, afaik, cannot be improved after baking. If you put sugar in your potato kugel amg salt in your crumb cake, there is nothing you can do about it.

kiryat sefer

Post Tue, Feb 14 2017, 4:10 pm
We have chulent and kugel and everything else on Friday.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus