Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Do you trust your local kosher grocery?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 21 2008, 11:33 am
we dont have a kosher grocery, just the kosher aisle in the supermarket. you have to check e/t b/c not only can honest mistakes be made, but ppl take stuff out of their carts from other aisles and leave them any old place. I once found chometzdik salsa or salad dressing stocked in the pesach aisle. I'm sure it was an honest mistake. I checked b/c it was a new product I'd never heard of before.

if we had a kosher grocery I'd check labels anyway b/c you never know, s/t the distributor sends the wrong thing by mistake. but I'd probably check the label after I brought the stuff home and before putting it on the shelf, not nec. in the store! depends on how rushed/crowded it is in there, I guess.

BennysMommy

Post Fri, Nov 21 2008, 11:57 am
yo'ma wrote:
Raisin wrote:
(I was so excited last week, shopping in town, I walked into a random food shop and they had mike and ikes - with a hechsher!)

We started getting them here, too. They're imported, so they're pretty expensive.

I saw them in my in-laws house last week and got so excited! They are expensive though.

Seraph

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 12:20 pm
I used to trust it to have all mehadrin hashgachos,, and then I saw a sign that the tomato paste that I used to buy now doesnt have mehadrin hashgacha and instead is heter mechira. So now I'm a little more makpid to check hechsherim.

Zus

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 12:33 pm
I always always check something I don't know.
On Pesach I triple check everything I put into my mouth, and even then mistakes happen. Not chametz, but things with a less hechsher than I eat on Pesach. Then it's *really* easy to make mistakes.

mamacita

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 2:04 pm
I load up my cart here without looking except for meat/poultry & to check for shmitta status of fruit/veg. I'm spoiled living in chareidi-ville!

Pesach we become eagle eyed as the difference between kitnyot and no kitynot is 2 letters and we've made a few mistakes (B"H all caught after purchase but before use).

drumjj

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 4:26 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
Raisin wrote:
(I was so excited last week, shopping in town, I walked into a random food shop and they had mike and ikes - with a hechsher!)

We started getting them here, too. They're imported, so they're pretty expensive.

I saw them in my in-laws house last week and got so excited! They are expensive though.

I went to my daughters school on fri and this non jewish lady said to me come here do u eat these? (meaning mike n ikes) she said to me look its got the jewish mark on it. and she gave me some for the kids was very nice of her. she found them really cheap in the market

Ruchel

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 12:51 pm
Pessach it's really horrible. Few frum Ashkenazim as a whole, so many things are with kitnios (now I eat them, but my personal rite before marriage was not to eat). Although with Chabad influence many North Africans have started avoiding them, I'm told.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 12:56 pm
I have to check everything....especially Pesach time...and especially now with shmitta. It's really invaded the canned food aisle...so I need to be careful.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 1:23 pm
It's funny, when we lived in Israel, you had to triple check everything even in our frum town, but in NY it's so much easier. No mehadrin vs. rbbanut, no this label, that label, shmitta, etc. It was so hard there.

lubaussie

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:46 pm
Haven't read through this whole thread, so I don't know if this comment is at all relevant, but my great-uncle is a shochet, and my (VERY machmir, read fanatic) great-grandmother (his mother) will only eat meat slaughtered AND kashered by him.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 3:00 am
Yea in the beginning of shmitta I went into a grocery store in a ery frum area and picked up some matbucha of the brand I normally buy. I forgot to check the hechsher. Big mistake. After it was already on the table I picked it up to look under it to see the hechsher and it had none!

Dalia Nechama

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 6:36 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
The very same product hechshered and unhechshered have such a price difference... BH for the list.

Yes, with the hechsher it can be doubled or tripled! Without the hechsher you can also get great sales on it in big supermarket chains!

It makes me sick. And CY price out of town.... Mad (bh it's not needed for us, but when it pops up at the mall, we may buy some to encourage).

Never mind the quality of CY. Generally pretty nasty stuff. The prices are crazy and it's generally not even fresh.

I lived in a relatively small, out of town community for a little over a year. The CY milk came every 2 weeks and was exorbitant. It usually spoiled quickly. sigh ... Rolling Eyes

MMEC123

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 6:40 pm
I always check because even in the chassidish run store I shop in, I have found things with hechsherim I wouldn't eat (I am not chassidish) and have found things that are mamesh treif.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 11:16 pm
In a kosher grocery store-when I lived in NY- I saw a product that there was a question on (in the news at that time). I asked the owner about it and he didnt care that the item was in question. So I always check.

Here, I trust the owner of our kosher store, but still check-even though 95% of his stuff is from the "kosher" manufacturers-kedem, gefen, kemach etc.....

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 11:26 pm
my sister worked in a kosher supermarket in brooklyn for 3 years. when new products came in, she had to enter them into the computer. on a few occasions she notices that some new products weren't kosher.

sometimes companies will inadvertently pack the wrong product, or an additional product in the box, before sending it to the store. one example I can think of is starburst candies. her supermarket carried the hard sucking candies which are kosher. one time starburst sent along some boxes of their chewy candies that have gelatin in them. she only caught the mistake because she knew I didn't eat them (she's not even frum.)

in other stores, many times the workers just throw items on the shelf and they may not be frum or even jewish (we all know how the stores in brooklyn love to hire illegal mexican laborers to do all the physical work.) the supermarket may not have even ordered a nonkosher product, but is can still show up.

as for me though, I buy the same products every week so I don't even think twice.

RichWithNachas

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 11:27 pm
Here, in N.Y. Brooklyn , center of Frum area, People mistakenly think that they can come and buy anything, as long as it is owned by a frum Jew.

From the owner's point of view, he is there to make money. There are many different people , including nonjews who come into his store. He is there to cater for all different types. And the responsibility of the kosher item depends on the customer himself.

So , yes, we check for every item that we buy, for the Hechsher that WE use.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 12:01 am
I do trust my grocer. Never had an issue. I am careful to check for kosher lepesach before pesach because there was once a mistake....

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 1:36 am
There was once Beech Nut baby food in a local grocery. Not Kosher. I pointed it out, but they didn't remove it right away. I posted a PSA here on Imamother to watch out when shopping at that place. On my 3rd or 4th request, they removed all the jars.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 2:20 am
I always check, except if I'm familiar with the brand. Unless the entire shop has a hechsher, it's your responsibility, not the shop's, apart from which there are different standards of hechsherim.

I just bought on Chanuka breakfast cereal from a frum shop, and only discovered after we'd eaten a boxful that it is Telma (rabbanut hechsher) and not Telma Shefa (bedatz) - the boxes look exactly the same. Because it was a frum shop I didn't think, but I'm not annoyed at the storekeeper. He's chareid, but it was my responsibility (at least it does have a hechsher, even though we don't hold by it).

To those in Israel, or buying Israeli produce - watch out, because of shemitta hechsherim can change. (The same during/after Pesach.)

Once I was in London before Pesach when I was single. I went into Selfridges (enormous, famous department store) and they have a kosher food hall. I was in the centre of London and wanted to buy a snack. They were all ready for Pesach and had big signs saying Kosher for Passover on their shelves. Anyway, they had Varda badatz chocolate in the KLP section with regular, non-Pesach kashrus (in those days there wasn't any mehadrin KLP chocolate in Israel).

The Jews who generally buy Pesach food in the centre of London are not usually knowledgeable Jews, but probably traditional. So I thought it was a big michshol. I went to the assistant there and told here the chocolate wasn't KLP. She thought I was absolutely nuts! She showed me how it says KOSHER on it and there was even Hebrew on the wrapper!! After about 20 tries I finally managed to explain to this incredulous non jewish lady that KLP and kosher are not the same thing (I don't think they have many customers who would look for chocolate with a hechsher all year around.) I hope they moved it from the KLP shelves.

willow

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 5:48 am
I always check because we eat only a few hechsherim.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics