Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At what age do kids stop taking naps?

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:50 am
I have a 2year old who doesn't want to nap. Some days he is fine and some days he gets very cranky. What age do most kids start phasing out of naps?

happymom

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 12:48 pm
I think kids need naps till three but some stop and two and a half

mimivan

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 12:55 pm
Mine stopped a little after 2.

shayna82

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 1:07 pm
my oldest is turning 4 in august iyh, and he still takes naps every day.here andthere he wont. my youngest is 2 and still napping too.

Newsie

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 1:09 pm
We just stopped ours at a little after three. He would still go for a nap, but he was staying up way too late

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 2:40 pm
I don't think there's one particular age - it depends on the child. When they don't want to go for a nap anymore, or cry for 20 minutes, or can't fall asleep at night - that's the sign that they're ready to stop (even if you aren't). So sounds like your ds is ready. Just put him to bed a little earlier in the evenings so he won't be so cranky.

I'm sure it also depends on the rest of the child's schedule - those who are given less time to sleep at night will presumably need naps for longer (which might explain a four year old still having one).

greenfire

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 2:56 pm
yeah they mostly stop at around 2 or 2 1/2 depending on what else is happening ... playgroup etc ... my littlist hated naps ... always ... had to leave her screaming cause otherwise she would never take a nap and would be ultra cranky later... but had to stop at 2 ... put them to bed earlier ...

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 4:13 pm
usually at around 2 21/2. I am looking forward to my my baby outgrowing her naps. Hopefully then, she will go to sleep at a decent time

momof2

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 5:44 pm
my 2 year old still takes naps and sometimes can nap for 2 hours! she goes to bed at night between 6:30-6:45. she sleeps a lot! do you think its to much? obviously she needs it, otherwise she wouldnt sleep I guess.

yoyosma

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 5:46 pm
My daughter stopped napping at 2 and a half.

shoy18

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 5:48 pm
min naps on non-school days fri-sun and would nap everyday but I wont let him bec he'd sleep way to long. On non school days he can sleep for up to 2.5 hours. He will be 3 IYH in Aug

happymom

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 7:35 pm
my daughter who is 26 months naps for 2 hours every day and goes to sleep every night at seven thirty---- I think they need it

su7kids

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 8:30 pm
Clearly, from all the posts, you have just learned that every child is different! LOL

Some kids need the sleep and others don't. And when they start outgrowing it, they sleep some days and some days not. Its intermittent.

miriam

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:02 pm
If your child is showing signs of no longer needing a nap, I think it's important to still have rest time be part of the day. They can lie in bed reading or just relaxing.

silber

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 5:49 am
My DD 2.5y is still having an 1 hour nap every day. If she doesn't have her nap, she wakes up at night... so I make sure she get her nap every day!!!

brooklyn

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 7:23 am
Hey, I wish that I could still take a nap!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics