Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
"yarmulka" or "kippa"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you say "yarmulka" or "kippa"?
yarmulka  
 39%  [ 63 ]
kippa  
 31%  [ 50 ]
koppel  
 25%  [ 41 ]
other (please specify)  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 158

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 7:52 pm
how about skullcap or jew-hat?

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 7:54 pm
I don't think I could even say the word cupple anymore. If I did I would have to say it in a london/yiddish accent (how english people whose first language is yiddish speak; we called it the yoishy accent embarrassed )

Strudel

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:04 pm
Koppel even though most people here have no idea what it means! Kippah always reminds me of a smoked fish.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 8:17 pm
Kippa (French, MO, Ashk.)

My dad says kep (French with Yiddish as first language).

I don't think I've heard yarmulka often irl.

chabadshb

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 9:56 pm
greenfire wrote:
yarmulke "yirah malka" when I want to get nit picky ... but then shouldn't it be "yirah melech" with us saying yirmulik ... Scratching Head

malka is king in aramaic

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 10:26 pm
The yiddish word for hat is 'hit' or 'hoot', depending on your dialect. a kappel is a yarmulke.

do you ladies know what a shloof kappel is?

yo'ma

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 10:27 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
do you ladies know what a shloof kappel is?

sleepyhead?

losingweight

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 10:44 pm
I call it a koppel. My mil calls a hat a koppel. She tells my just 3 year old son that she doesn't find his koppel and he tells me "mein koppel is oif mein kop." (my kippa is on my head)

flowerpower

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 10:59 pm
We call it koppel. We call hat a hat though.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 11:08 pm
a shloof kappel is a white kippah (the kind you see on meah shearimniks' heads except with no big knot on top) that our menfoik use to sleep in. it's way more comfy than the black velvet ones. I was surprised that outside of willy and similar enclaves no one has heard of it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 11:10 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
how about skullcap or jew-hat?
when my husband is in a funny mood, he calls it a jew hat:)

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 12:12 am
Mama Bear wrote:
a shloof kappel is a white kippah (the kind you see on meah shearimniks' heads except with no big knot on top) that our menfoik use to sleep in. it's way more comfy than the black velvet ones. I was surprised that outside of willy and similar enclaves no one has heard of it.

Heard of it and seen it. Do your menfolk wear the Na Nach ones? Wink

A kop or kep is Yiddish for head (keppele for a nickname as when talking to a young child).

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 5:53 am
Mama Bear wrote:

I have! I used to be a mothers helper for a short while with a family who used them.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 6:06 am
greenfire wrote:
yarmulke "yirah malka" when I want to get nit picky ... but then shouldn't it be "yirah melech" with us saying yirmulik ... Scratching Head

I never knew that's what it was from. Actually pretty nice meaning. I'd assume it is יראה מלכא as in Aramaic not Hebrew. I say kippa, never heard anything else until I learned the word "yamaka" from the neighbors. Of course, I was way into my late teens when I discovered that "yarmulka" and "yamaka" are the same thing. I've never heard this word actually pronounced in a way that you can understand all the syllables. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

BTW
Am DL Israeli parents were born in the US (of DL/DL-BT background).

Seraph

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 7:25 am
I say yarmulka most of the time, but when speaking hebrew say kippa.
MO american fam, went to bais yakov.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 7:35 am
My family minhag is to call it a "beanie" or a "jew beanie". To sleep they wear a "sleep beanie". Its thinnish white jersey cotton with a slight band on the bottom, slightly tighter then the top. They get pilly in their old age, so on second thought they must have some poly in them.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 7:42 am
Inspired wrote:
My family minhag is to call it a "beanie" or a "jew beanie". To sleep they wear a "sleep beanie". Its thinnish white jersey cotton with a slight band on the bottom, slightly tighter then the top. They get pilly in their old age, so on second thought they must have some poly in them.

8)

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 7:54 am
Mama Bear wrote:

I actually have seen them around... I bought them at one point, ds wanted the nanach's and I think they got lost at my sil's wedding.. years ago don't ask what they were doing there.

now I just don't bother with them, when the black one die I replace them...

now I used kippa, my ds when he was young wuld say tipa

Zus

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 8:21 am
Growing up, I knew it as a keppel (dutch-jewish).
I teach my kids 'kippah' because that's what everybody here says (Israeli DL and we are sefardic).

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 1:37 pm
american litvak- yarmulke
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics