Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Malachim (group within Lubavitch)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

bandcm

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:12 pm
Maya wrote:
bandcm wrote:
Maya wrote:
midwest wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malochim
I found this in Wikipedia. Sounds like an interesting group.

Their synagogue in Brooklyn Nesivos Olam located at 187 Hewes St. in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, NY is now led by Rabbi Meyer Weberman.
This is the group I'm talking about, in Williamsburg. But according to Wikipedia, they do have some connection to Lubavitch. But it also confirms what I was thinking, that they have some connection to Satmar now.

Did you read the article?
Like I said, their founder, Rabbi Avrohom the Malach, was the teacher of the Frierdiker Lubavitcher Rebbe. That is the connection. Oh, and the fact that they really, really dont like Lubavitch.

The Malach had been one of the closest followers of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn
Yes, I read it and this statement above was also in the article. That seems like a strong connection.

Honey, thats Reb Menachem Mendel, the third Lubavitcher rebbe, also known as the Tzemach Tzedek. Passed away about 150 years ago.

klotzkashe

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:13 pm
the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneersohn that R' Avrohom der Malach was a chossid of was the Tzemach Tzedek and not the heintiker Rebbe. When the Rebbe Rashab took the Nesius, they refused to accept him as Rebbe. it started off from there.

Malochim don't eat processed foods THE ENTIRE YEAR. They only eat foods that were made at home.

Maya

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:15 pm
bandcm wrote:
Maya wrote:
bandcm wrote:
Maya wrote:
midwest wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malochim
I found this in Wikipedia. Sounds like an interesting group.

Their synagogue in Brooklyn Nesivos Olam located at 187 Hewes St. in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, NY is now led by Rabbi Meyer Weberman.
This is the group I'm talking about, in Williamsburg. But according to Wikipedia, they do have some connection to Lubavitch. But it also confirms what I was thinking, that they have some connection to Satmar now.

Did you read the article?
Like I said, their founder, Rabbi Avrohom the Malach, was the teacher of the Frierdiker Lubavitcher Rebbe. That is the connection. Oh, and the fact that they really, really dont like Lubavitch.

The Malach had been one of the closest followers of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn
Yes, I read it and this statement above was also in the article. That seems like a strong connection.

Honey, thats Reb Menachem Mendel, the third Lubavitcher rebbe, also known as the Tzemach Tzedek. Passed away about 150 years ago.

I don't appreciate the condescending tone.

I obviously don't understand that much about Lubavitch, but what difference does it make if it's the first, second or third Rebbe? If he was a close follower of one of the Rebbes, then here was a connection to Lubavitch, that's all. Or am I wrong here?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:18 pm
Their shul is in Willy, they do waer the willy Chasidishe garb, but they follow most minhagei lubavitch. There are hardly any REAL melochim today, but mostlyt he older generation. They daven Nusach Ari, learn Tanya, dont wear a kittel at teh seder etc etc.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:18 pm
Why was he hired to teach the Freirdiker Rebbe, if he didn't accept the Rashab's nesius?
Anyone know?

mimivan

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:20 pm
from the wiki article:

Quote:
Once a woman approached the Satmar Rebbe, Grand Rabbi Joel Teitelbaum, complaining that her son had become a "Malach". Rabbi Teitelbaum replied "don't worry, he won't fly away". [3]

LOL

bandcm

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:21 pm
Im sorry, I didnt mean to sound condescending.
It just sounded like you were fixated on the idea that the Malachim are closely related to Lubavitch and no facts on the ground would change your mind.
So without condescension - Third Lubavitcher Rebbe had a chosid - name was Reb Avrohom. Was very spiritual so people called him the Malach. NOT the closest chosid - Wikipedia aint Toras Moshe MiSinai.
Later, he is chosen as the tutor for the future sixth Rebbe. When the fifth Rebbe (father of his pupil) became Rebbe, Reb Avrohom didnt approve for whatever reason, so he left Lubavitch and started his own group. From then on, no connection to Lubavitch.
That is the story.

bandcm

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:21 pm
GR wrote:
Why was he hired to teach the Freirdiker Rebbe, if he didn't accept the Rashab's nesius?
Anyone know?

The Maharash was Rebbe when he was hired.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:23 pm
Got it now. Thank you.
Learning something new everyday...
I had no idea that this group still existed.

bandcm

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:28 pm
I sent you a PM

Racheli

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:44 pm
This is so odd. I heard that a relative of mine who is Lubavitch is going to be engaged to another Lubavitcher who is a Malach. But now that sounds like one cannot both be a Lubavitcher and a Malach. Is that correct? I'm confused.

bandcm

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:52 pm
Racheli wrote:
This is so odd. I heard that a relative of mine who is Lubavitch is going to be engaged to another Lubavitcher who is a Malach. But now that sounds like one cannot both be a Lubavitcher and a Malach. Is that correct? I'm confused.

That is correct. You are right to be confused.
Maybe the particular person who is getting engaged is not Lubavitch, although the family is?
Or maybe the intended is an absolute angel, but has no connection to the Malachim??

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 8:59 pm
I think Malachim are really more Satmar than they are Lubavitch. They rejected Lubavitch generations back.
I don't think it's very common for a Lubavitcher to marry into another Chassidus. At least I haven't heard of it much.

Atali

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 9:02 pm
I once met someone who married a Lubavitcher who said that her MIL was a malach (her FIL is Lubavitch), but this would be quite rare.

Racheli

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 9:30 pm
Now I really am confused. I know the boy lives in Crown Heights as do his parents and grandparents. My relative is a frum Lubavitch girl. Wouldn't that be a very unlikely shidduch? But then who do Malachim tend to marry if they fall sort of between Lubavitch and Satmar? And what kind of new minhagim will my relative keep once she gets married? Do the women dress like Lubavitch women or Satmar women, for example?

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 9:36 pm
Quote:
Wouldn't that be a very unlikely shidduch?

Yes, it's pretty rare. But to each their own. As long as they're happy doing what they do.

bandcm

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 9:41 pm
Racheli wrote:
Now I really am confused. I know the boy lives in Crown Heights as do his parents and grandparents. My relative is a frum Lubavitch girl. Wouldn't that be a very unlikely shidduch? But then who do Malachim tend to marry if they fall sort of between Lubavitch and Satmar? And what kind of new minhagim will my relative keep once she gets married? Do the women dress like Lubavitch women or Satmar women, for example?

I think you didnt get it.
The Malachim are in no way between Satmar and Lubavitch. They are almost indistinguishable from Satmar, apart from a very few different minhogim and the fact that they learn Tanya (or at least used to).
And no Malachim live in Crown Heights. Maybe the boys grandparents USED TO BE malachim?
Who do Malachim marry? Well, my friend is Satmar and married a Malach.

ganizzy

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 10:06 pm
this is very interesting - I didnt know any of it.

my q' is if this avraham the malach was really a close chassid, wouldnt he have accepted at least one of the other sons as a Rebbe, without starting his own branch?

at first I thought we were talking about R' Avraham the Malach, child of the mezeritcher maggid(?)

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 10:09 pm
Quote:
at first I thought we were talking about R' Avraham the Malach, child of the mezeritcher maggid(?)

I thought that too for a second. Until I saw that he taught the F. Rebbe, then I was really confused.

Atali

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 10:12 pm
ganizzy wrote:
this is very interesting - I didnt know any of it.

my q' is if this avraham the malach was really a close chassid, wouldnt he have accepted at least one of the other sons as a Rebbe, without starting his own branch?

R' Avrohom was a chossid of the Rebbe Maharash (I think) but never accepted the Rebbe Rashab. The Rebbe Rashab only had one brother, R' Zalman Aharon, who did not become a Rebbe so there was no other Rebbe for R' Avrohom to go to.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics