Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Child hitting a parent
Previous  1  2

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:36 pm
I think Rabbi Scheinberg's point is that the child wants your attention, your hugs, kisses, your love. I'm sure you give your child all that but could be it's not enough.

Rather than have an unpleasant interaction with him (he hits and you get upset and react), have a pleasant interaction!

Could very well be that if he gets more positive attention he won't need the negative.

proudmom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:40 pm
BH my son is not hitting me anymore. Now he is picking on his siblings

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:46 pm
I think a child must be reprimanded then and there later on extra attention is needed but why reward for something bad Confused

proudmom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 6:49 pm
I agree with you 100%. that is why I was confused

avigayil

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 7:35 pm
I agree with Freilich.
I mean, kids do need affection, but not right after they do something bad. It will send a mixed message for sure.

raizy

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:56 pm
my son 18 months old loves my flesh. if he sees any part of my body he goes over and pinches it and I scream he loves to do that.and it hurts.

so I told him every time u pinch u have to go to the corner . so he pintches me and then runs to the corner he presses his little face in the corner. I cant help but smile. at his shetch.. what should I do???

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 3:47 pm
raizy, I think you have to come up w/ a better consequence for him than going to the corner. obviously, that's not enough of a "threat" (not that we should be threatening our kids) to keep him from doing it again.

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 16 2005, 3:52 pm
maybe try sending him to his room, we do it we say dovid go to your room, and we stand there making sure he goes all the way up and hear his little feet running ot his room, then we say, ok you can come out now.. he knows not to do the thing he was doing agai, becasue hehates to be away from hi s little brother yomin!

ElTam

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 8:35 pm
My child does this occassionally. When she was younger, it was biting.

I say very firmly, "No hit." If she does it again, I either pick her up and put her away from me or I get up and walk away from her saying, "Don't hit. Mommy doesn't want to play with you when you hit." She cries. After a few minutes, we make up and things continue along nicely.

raizy

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 9:54 pm
I tried everything and nothing seems to work. I know he will grow out of it. but meanwhile he is giving me the chills.... and it hurts...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics