Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Nutty Octuplets Mom Speaks Out
Previous  1  2  3

Atali

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 11:17 am
Raisin wrote:
Gamzu, the big difference I see it is that when you are pregnant, you are making sure your unborn baby is as healthy as possible. With this women, there are very slim chances that the babies will be 100% healthy and normal. For her sake, I hope they are, but it will be pretty miraculous if none of them suffer any problems.

But not everyone is as careful as others. Does a mother who smokes during pregnancy not deserve help with her child and should her child be taken away from her? I drank diet coke with caffeine during pregnancy, which probably wasn't so healthy either but helped me stay sane.

The fact is that she loves her children and intends to do her best to raise them. That alone should be good enough.

GAMZu

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 11:57 am
Raisin, what Atali said. I also didn't do everything 100% perfect. I lived on sweets for a good while and because of that my blood sugar got messed up at the end. My midwife told me that if I want to prevent GD next pregnancy, I should seriously limit my sugar intake as a lifestyle, way before getting pregnant. Do I? Well, not quite.

Yes, alcoholic and chain smoker moms get help. It's not like she chose to have her children have permanent problems from prematurity. Sure, she implanted 6 embryos. But she did so every other time as well, and it ended up in 4 singletons and one set of twins. Did she expect anything different this time? So they all took. And 2 of them even split! Was she expecting that to happen? Not really.

What should she have done? Abort some? I don't know if I would do that in her place. Kill her own babies? And live with it?

I think not providing her volunteer help and free diapers and other necessities is punishing her kids more than it's punishing her. No one in the world can love these children as much as her. To allow these babies to be split up into foster families? That's awful. Nobody thrives in the foster system. Help her to care for them herself. That's the best thing.

May this be the worst crime anyone ever commits!

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 12:00 pm
1. She shouldn't have had so many embrios emplanted - most places will NOT do this.

2. It was a HUGE danger to the mother and babies to carry so many fetuses, they should have reduced.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 12:04 pm
Atali wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
She had an ethical dilemma of what to do with her six rmaining embryos. If she didnt want to destory them she couldve transferred them at th end of a cycle and not gotten pg.

Or transfered one or two now and the rest a few years down the line.
The cost for storage is prohibitive. Maybe she hoped she'd have 1 or 2 babies and thus 'get rid' of the rest of them.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 4:49 pm
I read on cnn.com that they are investigating the fertility clinic that she worked with....

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 4:56 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Raisin, what Atali said. I also didn't do everything 100% perfect. I lived on sweets for a good while and because of that my blood sugar got messed up at the end. My midwife told me that if I want to prevent GD next pregnancy, I should seriously limit my sugar intake as a lifestyle, way before getting pregnant. Do I? Well, not quite.

Yes, alcoholic and chain smoker moms get help. It's not like she chose to have her children have permanent problems from prematurity. Sure, she implanted 6 embryos. But she did so every other time as well, and it ended up in 4 singletons and one set of twins. Did she expect anything different this time? So they all took. And 2 of them even split! Was she expecting that to happen? Not really.

What should she have done? Abort some? I don't know if I would do that in her place. Kill her own babies? And live with it?

I think not providing her volunteer help and free diapers and other necessities is punishing her kids more than it's punishing her. No one in the world can love these children as much as her. To allow these babies to be split up into foster families? That's awful. Nobody thrives in the foster system. Help her to care for them herself. That's the best thing.

May this be the worst crime anyone ever commits!

eating sweets or drinking diet coke is not great, but afaik they do not cause children with learning disabilities, blindness etc. Maybe a better example would be a mother who drinks lots of alcohol, putting her baby at risk for FAS.

truthfully, I think her RE is more to blame. He or she is the dr - they know very well the risks of multiple births. If someone would have sat down with this girl and explained all the risks would she have agreed to have so many embroyos transferred?

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 10:07 am
just watched her on the today show ... she seemed quite nurturing and attentive ... her face glowing - thanking god for her miracles ... I'm impressed ...

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 10:28 am
I ate a lot of sweets when pregnant with DD, but I also ate fruits, veggies, and protein.

The running joke in the house is that DD is so "sweet" because that's what she is made of!

frumluv

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 12:31 pm
Just saw this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html

Barbara

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 1:49 pm
Atali wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Gamzu, the big difference I see it is that when you are pregnant, you are making sure your unborn baby is as healthy as possible. With this women, there are very slim chances that the babies will be 100% healthy and normal. For her sake, I hope they are, but it will be pretty miraculous if none of them suffer any problems.

But not everyone is as careful as others. Does a mother who smokes during pregnancy not deserve help with her child and should her child be taken away from her? I drank diet coke with caffeine during pregnancy, which probably wasn't so healthy either but helped me stay sane.

The fact is that she loves her children and intends to do her best to raise them. That alone should be good enough.

Atali, right or wrong, companies mostly donate things to parents of multiples for the publicity. In this case, due to widespread criticism of the mother (whether or not justified), companies aren't sure they want to be associated with her.

Remember that while this woman may have paid out of pocket for the fertility treatment, she's not paying out of pocket for the medical expenses of these kids. How much is that costing taxpayers? Hundreds of thousands of dollars? Millions? There's also the fact that her decisions placed each baby in danger. Human women simply aren't biologically prepared to have a litter.

You should also consider the rhetoric that is being used to criticize this woman. What I've heard, over and over, is that you simply cannot give enough love and attention to 14 kids.

Atali

Post Tue, Feb 10 2009, 2:34 pm
Barbara wrote:
Atali wrote:
Raisin wrote:

Atali, right or wrong, companies mostly donate things to parents of multiples for the publicity. In this case, due to widespread criticism of the mother (whether or not justified), companies aren't sure they want to be associated with her.

Remember that while this woman may have paid out of pocket for the fertility treatment, she's not paying out of pocket for the medical expenses of these kids. How much is that costing taxpayers? Hundreds of thousands of dollars? Millions? There's also the fact that her decisions placed each baby in danger. Human women simply aren't biologically prepared to have a litter.

You should also consider the rhetoric that is being used to criticize this woman. What I've heard, over and over, is that you simply cannot give enough love and attention to 14 kids.

But the discussion wasn't about companies donating things, I agree it probably wouldn't be the best publicity idea, the issue was about whether social services should take away her child, which I don't think they should. She is the mother of the children, she loves them and wants to do her best to raise them and she should be able to.

I agree she did the wrong thing by getting pregnant again, and the fertility doctor should lose his license for this, but that is history now. These kids are here and they should be raised by their mother.

miriamnechama

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 8:31 am
crazy story....

Atali

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:53 am
http://www.latimes.com/feature.....story

raizs

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 4:05 pm
I want to add my two cents here

I am all for having a lot of kids, very against BC, and all that

But I don't think this story fits in under that. I watched the Today interview, and my overpowering impression from it, throughout, was sort of similar to this: remember when we were kids, there was always the kid in the class who was 'looking for attention' - these kids had the most creative ways of doing so. This lady seems to fit that description, and lucky for her, the media is falling for it, hook, line, and sinker. I do not get the impression that she is at all connected to reality.

There seems no logical explanation otherwise - from the method (extreme IVF as opposed to reg), to the setup (single, the father isnt even a boyfriend or something!), to the overall attitude of - I know exactly what I'm doing, just watch.

She's probably sincere in all of her talk, but not aware of what she's in for.

we have posts on this site all the time with mothers going for their masters/Phd, asking if they'll manage learning with one or two kids - how does she think she's gonna manage it with a fam of her size??!! school, homework, reports, finals.... and then holding down a job...

most of us can make our houses look great, and perform for the video cameras for an hour or two like she did when trying to show what a good mom she is. but the video cameras arent there in the middle of the night when 6 newborns are wailing to be fed (lets assume the other two are sleeping through the concert), the five year old wants a drink, the 3 year old wet his bed, the seven year old has a nightmare....and the mother, who loves her kids dearly, is just so super exhausted and frustrated....without even a husband to provide the comic relief and moral support!

The truth is - I dont think she planned on having octuplets. And seven kids is ok (lets forget about the family situation for a minute.) But I do think that once it happened, she should be a little less smug and sure of herself that she has it all figured out...in the beginning, she wasnt talking to media at all. maybe she should have kept that up, despite all the pressure - cuz now she has millions of people debating her personal decisions, and saying all sorts of things about her on the air, discussing whether the kids should be taken away or not, etc. etc. - all this shoudl be between her and her local family service agency, with the help of a good lawyer...

chavamom

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 9:01 pm
I heard on the radio the other day that this woman according to some survey is one of the most hated women in America. The PR rep that was representing her dropped her as a client b/c she was getting death threats.

chavamom

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 9:03 pm
Oh, and some non-profit group is going to provide around the clock nursing help for the first year at a cost of $135K/month!

anewday

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 10:23 pm
I wonder how nauseous she was pregnant with 8???
all joking aside, we look high and low for a nap and some relief with one baby...and here she's got that 8x?!

frumluv

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 10:29 pm
Despite not agreeing w/ her situation, I don't know why there are death threats.

chavamom

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 11:26 pm
frumluv wrote:
Despite not agreeing w/ her situation, I don't know why there are death threats.
What Who knows why people do the nutty things they do. Makes no sense to me either, but I didn't realize how hated this woman is.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics