Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Salad Recipes Needed (no tomato, pepper, eggplant or potato)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 6:14 am
mango and avocado salad is really good. with or without onion.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 9:28 am
alpidarkomama wrote:
My favorite cole slaw is cabbage, vegetable oil, salt, lime juice, and cilantro. It's also delicious on a bean or fish taco. I also do a dressing for cabbage that is equal parts rice vinegar and sesame oil, with salt, sugar, and fresh grated ginger added to taste.

Carrot and raisin salad w/mayo
cold peas, carrots, and parsnips cubed w/mayo
cucumber salad (cukes marinated in rice vinegar, salt, and sugar; optional onions)
pear, avocado, pecan, spinach salad w/vinaigrette
marinated mushroom salad

That's what is at the top of my head...

Thanks! Do you have amounts for the cole slaw with oil, salt and lime juice?
And how do you make the marinated mushroom salad? (Thanks for reminding me to call my sis for a delicious buttom mushroom salad made with soy sauce, scallions... will post if you request)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 9:31 am
Raisin wrote:

I will try to look up the Persian salad online.
And what's your mango and avocado salad recipe?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 9:32 am
meirav wrote:
I can't imagine being on such a diet because these are basically my favorite vegetables!!

I didn't see anyone mention Euro salad - romaine lettuce with fruit like strawberries and mango cubes, with glazed almonds and a sweetish dressing.

My mother makes a carrot apple salad on Pesach. It's more of a dessert than a side dish - grated apples and carrots, mix with sugar and orange, lemon or lime juice.

I know these have fruit in them, and are sweet - not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks!
In all honesty, I don't really go for fruits in my salads... but the Asian salad with oranges changed my mind... at least for that recipe. So I might just try some recipes that call for fruit... but they have to be at least somewhat salty as well (I like that sweet and salty taste.)

Mrs. Mommy

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 9:49 am
I love olive salad. I cut up fresh garlic cloves into small pieces and I mix it with sliced olives. Add a little bit of olive oil and some paprika. Mix together and enjoy!

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:08 am
ra_mom wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I will try to look up the Persian salad online.
And what's your mango and avocado salad recipe?

mango and avocado salad is a pesach recipe. Just mangos, avocados, onion if you want and salt and lemon juice. lettuce would also probably go nicely in this.

montrealmommy

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:45 am
Waldorf Salad (egg free version - no mayo) - -just apples, celery and walnuts (I actually leave those out too!) then add lemon juice, onion powder and a pinch of sugar and salt

Mushroom salad: 1/4 muchrooms, add balsamic vinegar, water (2 part vinegar to 1 part water), sugar (to your like of sweetness), salt and pepper and parsley (but I use oregano since I cant use parsley) - mix together and serve! Really yum!

Celeriac Slaw: peel and shred one med. sized celeriac (aka celery root). mix with salt, pepper and lemon juice, this keeps for at least a week

Beet salad: steam/roast beets in skins, cool so you can handle them. Rub off skins. Slice beets thinly. Add as much sliced onion as you want. Pour equal parts white vinegar and water over top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add at least 1 Tbsp. sugar (to ofset the vinegar a bit) - or more if you like it sweeter. This keeps at least 2 weeks.

Sweet potato salad: roast whole sweet potato until almost done. Let cool. carfully remove peel. Cube SP. toss with mustard, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and mint. Very yum

Cabbage noodle salad: Cook vermicelli or other thin noodles according to package. Rinse with cold water once cooked. toss with red cabbage, scallions, vinegar, sugar, s+p. You can also add sesame and/or sliced almonds to this.

Tabouleh (w/o the tomato): cook couscous or bulgar or quinoa according to package. Once cooled toss with lemon juice, honey, mint, parsley (or oregano), salt and pepper. Add cubed cucumber for freshness. (you can also add tuna or chicken for protein)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:48 am
alpidarkomama wrote:
WOW! These sound good! Can you post recipes??

Here goes...
Lemony Carrot Salad with Dill
Ingredients
• 2-3 cups grated carrots (I usually fill a 2 lb container 2/3 up, I don't pack it down) (I use the larger grating blade on the food processor or hand grater)
• 2 Tbsp lemon juice
• 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small clove garlic, minced
• salt to taste (I use about 1 tsp coarse salt- use less if using table salt)
• 1/8 tsp coarse black pepper, optional (I usually leave this out)
• 1 Tbsp dried dill
• ½ bunch (3 stalks) scallions, sliced
Preparation
Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add carrots, dill and scallions; toss to coat. Chill until serving time.

Asian Edamame Salad
Ingredients
• 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 pkg. frozen soybeans (edamame), blanched according to pkg. directions either in microwave or pot
• 1 pkg. ready romaine lettuce
• 2 oranges, peeled & cut into chunks
• 1 Tbsp deli mustard (I use Dijon Mustard)
• 2 Tbsp sugar or sugar substitute equivalent to that amount
• 2 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp sesame oil
• ¼ cup oil
• 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 1 cube ginger
Preparation
Combine the red onion, soy beans, romaine lettuce and orange cubes in a large salad bowl.
In a measuring cup, combine the mustard, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, oil, rice wine vinegar and ginger. Mix well and pour dressing over salad.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Mar 04 2009, 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:54 am
montrealmommy wrote:
Waldorf Salad (egg free version - no mayo) - -just apples, celery and walnuts (I actually leave those out too!) then add lemon juice, onion powder and a pinch of sugar and salt

Mushroom salad: 1/4 muchrooms, add balsamic vinegar, water (2 part vinegar to 1 part water), sugar (to your like of sweetness), salt and pepper and parsley (but I use oregano since I cant use parsley) - mix together and serve! Really yum!

Celeriac Slaw: peel and shred one med. sized celeriac (aka celery root). mix with salt, pepper and lemon juice, this keeps for at least a week

Beet salad: steam/roast beets in skins, cool so you can handle them. Rub off skins. Slice beets thinly. Add as much sliced onion as you want. Pour equal parts white vinegar and water over top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add at least 1 Tbsp. sugar (to ofset the vinegar a bit) - or more if you like it sweeter. This keeps at least 2 weeks.

Sweet potato salad: roast whole sweet potato until almost done. Let cool. carfully remove peel. Cube SP. toss with mustard, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and mint. Very yum

Cabbage noodle salad: Cook vermicelli or other thin noodles according to package. Rinse with cold water once cooked. toss with red cabbage, scallions, vinegar, sugar, s+p. You can also add sesame and/or sliced almonds to this.

Tabouleh (w/o the tomato): cook couscous or bulgar or quinoa according to package. Once cooled toss with lemon juice, honey, mint, parsley (or oregano), salt and pepper. Add cubed cucumber for freshness. (you can also add tuna or chicken for protein)

Yum, Yum, Yum! Thanks. I might bother you for exact amounts once I try these.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:56 am
Lately I've been eating this salad:
chick peas
cucumber
israeli pickles
green olives
avocado (if you like it)
artichoke hearts

balsamic vinegar
pepper
salt

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 10:59 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Lately I've been eating this salad:
chick peas
cucumber
israeli pickles
green olives
avocado (if you like it)
artichoke hearts

balsamic vinegar
pepper
salt

Sounds great! If you have amounts, would be helpful... if not, I'll manage.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 11:03 am
I don't have amounts, sorry!
However, I don't drench it in balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I add a bit of olive oil as well.

I just ate a bowl of it. . . it's hard for me to stop eating it.

beautiful blessings

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 11:34 am
Corn salad - I've seen recipes both delish with or without mayo.

Taliaville

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 2:14 pm
Ra Mom- can I please have your bbq sauce recipe? I am tomato free due to severe allergies and would love the recipe! Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 2:26 pm
Taliaville wrote:
Ra Mom- can I please have your bbq sauce recipe? I am tomato free due to severe allergies and would love the recipe! Very Happy

It's based on a delicious tomato-free "ketchup" recipe that I found.
I use this in turkey sandwhiches for myself. I also use this sometimes in regular recipes for the whole family. Mixed in with other ingredients (like in a glaze that calls for ketchup among other things) dh can't even tell that it isn't the real stuff.
Tomato-Free "Ketchup"
Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
1 (16 ounce) can pear halves in natural juice, drained
1 (16 ounce) can sliced carrots, drained
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup white corn syrup (Kyro)
4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions
Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth, about 30 seconds.
Store in refrigerator.

I make a really good barbeque sauce from the above recipe (tastes even more real than the ketchup)
Barbeque Sauce
• 2 cups tomato-free ketchup
• 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
• 2 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1/8 tsp black pepper
Preparation
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This recipe yields approximately 2 cups of barbecue sauce.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Mar 08 2017, 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

TheBeinoni

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 12:25 pm
ra_mom wrote:
TheBeinoni wrote:
How about cut up cucumbers, chickpeas, purple onion with a mayo type dressing. You can improvise with that as a base.

Sounds great! Do you think this would work with a tehina dressing? I don't love mayo.

Yes definitely! Probably even better (health wise and taste wise!)

frumluv

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 1:59 pm
These all look like good salads! I will have to make one of these.

I never heard of the nightshade vegetables. Just Googled, and it's interesting. I have been having some arthritis flare ups. I wonder if I should cut out potato?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 4:01 pm
frumluv wrote:
These all look like good salads! I will have to make one of these.

I never heard of the nightshade vegetables. Just Googled, and it's interesting. I have been having some arthritis flare ups. I wonder if I should cut out potato?

You can try that. Good luck! (If you eat eggplant, cut that out first.)

buzzinmom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 6:34 pm
I have a yummy salad
its as much as you want of
lettuce
alfalfa
craisins
candy pecaans
and garlic croutons

dressing is
1/2 c mayo
1/2c sgr
1/2 vngr

buzzinmom

Post Wed, Mar 04 2009, 6:37 pm
hey ra-mom can u please post the exact recipe for the asian sald it sds gr8 and im having guests shabbos so maybi ill try it
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics