Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ridiculous things you believed as a child!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mumsy23

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:50 pm
I used to have a "wheel of fortune game" on the computer and my brother told me that however much money I win will come out the bottom of the keyboard! I remember thinking it was broken cus the money never came out!

GAMZu

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 11:31 pm
My HS halacha teacher promised a lifetime supply of razors to any girl who grows a beard from havdala wine as a guarantee against this happening.

As for stepping over someone, I heard (maybe as a joke) that sure, when you step over someone you can fall on them and kill them. Then they won't grow anymore.

creativemommyto3

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 2:24 am
1. I would grow chest hairs if I drank havdala
2. if I pick my nose far enough, I will get gold
3.if you look into the mirror at midnite on tisha b' av you will see your bashert

Mrs.Norris

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 9:46 pm
if you sleep with 2 challahs under your pillow and at midnight look in the mirror you'll see your future husband (my brother used to laugh at me for believing this and say that you'll actually see your future husbands wife).

after going on the train with my brother he told me that once I'd gotten off all the people on the train had a big party and the windows turned into jelly.

if you eat standing up you get fat legs

if someone sneezes and no one says bless you part of their soul comes out. To this day I automatically say bless you whenever I hear anyone sneeze.

if you walk through a powerful fountain the water will carry you up with it (my sister told me she had seen this happen)

cockroach eggs are on the glue on envelopes so if you lick it and you get a paper cut on your tongue you could have a family of cockroaches in your tongue

daisylover

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 10:43 pm
Mrs. Norris:
cockroach eggs are on the glue on envelopes so if you lick it and you get a paper cut on your tongue you could have a family of cockroaches in your tongue

that is actually the grossest one I have heard yet!!! I physically feel sick from reading that one!!!

yoyosma

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 10:48 pm
daisylover wrote:
Mrs. Norris:

that is actually the grossest one I have heard yet!!! I physically feel sick from reading that one!!!

So is that an urban myth? Because someone once told me of someone who licked an envelope, got a paper cut and a few months later had a huge tongue. The doctor cut it open to find cockroaches....
Yes, a gross story but I heard it was true!!! embarrassed

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:25 pm
Puke please, please lemme finish my meal Puke

justanothermother

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:31 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

chen

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:17 am
aren't we lucky to have internet to access Snopes to debunk myths that we would never have heard if we didn't have internet access?

mumoo

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:41 am
lucky wrote:
If u r a nasher it will rain at your chupa.

my bubbe, a"h source for all things superstitious (most of which turn out to have kabalistic sources) told me if I eat out of a cooking pot it would rain on my wedding day. Tho my sisters did, I never ate from a pot. Of course it rained on my wedding. So I asked Bubbe, "what happened? I never ate from a pot and it still rained today."

"Nu," she says, "it's good luck it should rain by your wedding."

chen

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:51 am
mumoo wrote:
lucky wrote:
If u r a nasher it will rain at your chupa.

my bubbe, a"h source for all things superstitious (most of which turn out to have kabalistic sources) told me if I eat out of a cooking pot it would rain on my wedding day. Tho my sisters did, I never ate from a pot. Of course it rained on my wedding. So I asked Bubbe, "what happened? I never ate from a pot and it still rained today."

"Nu," she says, "it's good luck it should rain by your wedding."

Rolling Laughter

Seraph

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 1:32 am
I used to beleive there was a tiny little man sitting inside every camera drawing the photos that you take.

I used to think there were monsters who lived on my attic (furnished) steps when it was dark.

About the havdala candle- people used to yell at me for holding the candle so high- they said "You're tall enough already and will anyhow need a tall husband, but does he HAVE to be 7 feet tall?" I ended up with a husband 2 inches taller than me.

And with the necklace clasp in front- well, I dunno if I beleive it per se, but every time I was with my husband while going out and engagd, my necklace clasp would end up in front every 10 seconds...

daisylover

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 10:42 pm
I am totally grossed out! I started to read that article from that link... and I just couldnt go past that picture of the roach! I am sickened! what a horrible story wiht that girl! adn nasty for that taco she was eating! maybe this is why rabbonim made us meshuga over checking our lettuce

justanothermother

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 11:01 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

proudwife

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 11:43 pm
Actually, one time when we were younger, we passed by a cemetery and near that cemetery they were doing some type of construction. So they had right there these portable toilets for the people working. So my little sister, who was probably about 6 yrs., asked what are those things? (referring to the toilets) so my other sister (older) told her "it's for the dead people!!" Tongue Out Tongue Out She believed it for many years later!! It was hysterical!

Also I believed as a kid that nipples had just one hole, which milk came out from! I always wondered why I didnt have holes???!!! Rolling Eyes Wink

GAMZu

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 12:33 am
Someone mentioned standing while eating...
This was made up to discourage kids from eating standing up, "If you stand while you eat, you get fat feet." Meaning the food will all go straight to your feet if you stand. Well, if that's the case, where will it go if you sit?!?! I'd rather stand, thanks! Wink

ny21

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 5:48 pm
when my mom was a child she went to someone's home and they turned on
a light . she was surprised because she thought that everyone was frum .

SouthernShalom

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 6:34 pm
I was affraid to swim in the deep end of the pool because their might be sharks.

I was afraid of the dark forever! For some reason the forcefield of the covers kept me safe from all the lurking monsters.

shoy18

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 6:39 pm
I always thought when you get an x-ray they stuck whatever it was you were having x-rayed into a copy machine.

Squash

Post Mon, Sep 24 2007, 7:59 pm
Mrs.Norris wrote:

if someone sneezes and no one says bless you part of their soul comes out. To this day I automatically say bless you whenever I hear anyone sneeze.

IIRC Yaakov Avinu asked Hashem to make pple be sick b4 they die so it wouldn't be so sudden. Until then, pple would sneeze and then die. That's why we say "bless you" or "tzim gezint". Maybe this myth comes from there. dunno. What
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics