Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ridiculous things you believed as a child!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:05 pm
I see people here are mostly mentioning superstitious things. which some people believe and some people dont. its not some ridiculus thing that only children believe. if you want something ridiculus, here goes...

my brother once told me that the smaller your brain is the smarter you are and that einstein had a brain the size of a golf ball. so one day in school when a kid made fun of me and said you're dumb you have such a small brain I could flush it down the tiolet. I retorted well good that means I'm smart. and your brain is too big to fit down the toilet. you're the dumb one. the kid just gave me a funny look and had nothing to say.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:07 pm
Quote:
by telling me that if I missed it, I wouldn't be able to eat till Tuesday.

I actually heard that its true! if you dont hear havdala you cant eat till tues. but you could always make havdala later.

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:25 pm
My cousin told me, if you have sugar in cereal you will grow worms inside of you.
Or my friend one time told me my brother is going to kill you, I was 7yrs, and believe me I was terrified of him he looked like a monster even b/4 he did anything!! My mother couldn't take away my fear so she ordered him to promise he would never do such a thing.
Boy I see him now and we are both embarrassed

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:33 pm
Guys: Did any of you beleive it when your mom said :"if you eat another ..Pickle /or whatever.you'll turn into one?" My little brothers were convinced of this one!

imanut

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 3:53 pm
or if you made a face, it would freeze like that.

thebestmommy

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 4:52 pm
....or if you pick your nose, your finger will get stuck.... LOL

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 5:55 pm
funny, how I started this thread in "Intellectual Stuff"
dont you think?

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 6:06 pm
ditto for other threads in this section

hadasa

Post Fri, Dec 24 2004, 2:15 am
If you swallow pits (especially grape or apple seeds) then you'll grow a tree inside your stomach.

proudmom

Post Sat, Dec 25 2004, 7:51 pm
If you kiss your elbow moshiach will come.

Rivka

Post Sat, Dec 25 2004, 9:40 pm
sneeze seven times in a row moshiach will come (tried and tested and nothing happened).
If you go near to the TV/computer you'll get square eyes.
Only non Jews can have babies without being married to each other (never forgot that lie my father told me when my brother told me to ask him why a certain employee could have a kid if he wasn't married).
If you make a silly face and the wind changes then it stays that way.
You can get pregnant if you are in the same room as a man (that was the reason for yichud apparently, if it was true I think I would have had a billion kids by now and the fathers would be strangers).
If you step over someone they will stop growing (if that were true midgets would be more common).

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, Dec 25 2004, 10:00 pm
Rivka on the stepping over thing, I also heard that they will stop growing, but if you walked back over them again, you "undid" it. I heard that it had to do with walking over people in their graves so it is ayin harah ,

Rivka

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 12:56 pm
Yup ayin hara, I don't believe in them. Do you walk over people's graves? They are too wide and you can't stand on them.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 2:37 pm
This is not a superstition, it's halacha - walking over graves, I mean. It's assur because it's a bizayon to the dead.

Motek

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 3:25 pm
proudmom wrote:
If you kiss your elbow moshiach will come.

and since you can never kiss your elbow, then ... ? Confused

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 11:07 pm
this is really funny!!!

Quote:
if you walk around a table seven times with a candle in front of a mirror you will see the face of your bashert in the mirror.......

this actually has pagan origins, watch out Wink

Quote:
if you hold the havdala candle low you'll have a short chosson.

actually, I heard that holding it high is like a siman that yo uwant a hasan 'big' in Torah & learning

Quote:
if you dont hear havdala you cant eat till tues. but you could always make havdala later.

halacha is that you can make havdala untill tuesday, and you may not eat untill you hear havdala.

my superstitions were covered above already LOL 8) Wink

Post Mon, Dec 27 2004, 2:43 pm
this doesn't fit the thread exactly, but here's my childhood story:
I once was fleishig and started eating a milchig cookie (didn't realize it was milchig), when my mom told me it was milchig I started crying and crying- thought I had done the worst thing in the world! I think I was about seven at the time.

stem

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 2:09 pm
They taught us in school that the 5 Inuyim (not allowed on Yom Kippur) are:
1. eating
2. drinking
3. bathing
4. annointing (like perfume)
5. wearing leather shoes

They left out marital relations, and it took years till I realized that eating and drinking were really in the same category.

Also, my friends and I used to believe that if you swallowed gum, it would stay in your stomach forever.

Tefila

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 3:44 pm
Quote:
They left out marital relations, and it took years till I realized that eating and drinking were really in the same category.

LOL

carrot

Post Tue, Jul 26 2005, 7:18 pm
how about "them"? do you remember "them"? you know, the ones who build the traffic lights and decide daylight savings time and test the roller coasters and make up the computer games? as in "why did THEY let...?" "how do THEY decide...?"
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics