Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ridiculous things you believed as a child!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

supermom

Post Mon, Aug 01 2005, 11:15 am
Proud long time no hear. 8)

If you sit on the corner of the table then you won't get married for another seven years.

curly

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 8:50 am
I used to hold the havdalah candle high for a tall chosson. When it rained of my wedding day my sister is like it's raining because you are a nosher. Bh not during the chuppah or during pictures.

curly

Post Tue, Aug 09 2005, 8:52 am
When I was abt three or four my sister used to tell me to go wash my face because it was dirty- I used to try to scrub off my beauty mark.

chen

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:01 pm
What "bubbemeiseh" did you hear as a child that was disproven or proven when you got older?

Proven: My classmates used to tell me that they would collect shopping bags full of candy on Simchas torah. I did not for one moment believe these tales. After I got married, we moved to another part of town and went to a different shul. And lo! It was true! The children literally collected shopping bags full of candy. Not those little mini-sized "shopping bags" Tiffany's uses when you buy a ring, but the sort of thing you use to bring home groceries.

My apologies to all you classmates whose veracity I doubted!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:09 pm
When I was younger, a friend told me that toads use their eyes to help them digest their food. She was a big liar, and this sounded pretty fishy to me. Imagine my surprise when I was watching "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and frog was the answer to the question, "Which amphibian uses it's eyes to help digest food?"

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:11 pm
check out the thread: "Ridiculous things you believed as a child" Smile

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 8:04 am
I merged the new thread with the old thread - moderator.

mali

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 12:58 pm
my father used to tell me that if you play with matches, you pee in your sleep. tried it. nothing happened. LOL

my friends scared me that if you play around with your hands and make figures on the walls, the shadows will peel off while you sleep and grab you. it haunted me for years. shock

realeez

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 1:03 pm
a friend told me that if you touch a furnace, you'll die on the spot!

supermommy

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 1:58 pm
when I was about 6, some older girls told me that if you go into the bathroom, turn off the lights and turn around three times saying "bloody mary" each time "bloody mary" will appear in the mirror. For years afterwards I shelpped my poor little siblings to the bathroom with me cuz I was afraid of the mirror.

My mother used to tell me that if I eat the crust of my bread I will have lots of friends.

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 2:07 pm
And there was me thinking that if I ate my crusts I would get curly hair!

cindy324

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 2:21 pm
Quote:
my father used to tell me that if you play with matches, you pee in your sleep. tried it. nothing happened. Laughing

I've heard of that too, is your father eastern european? Seems to be originating from there.
Ok, but is it true that if you stick a sleeping person's hand in a bowl of water, they WILL pee in their sleep? Question

realeez

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 3:01 pm
here's another one - if you touch an earwig or one crawls on you, it will make you deaf!

shoy18

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 3:23 pm
my father told be if I stepped on the yellow lines in the middle of the street the police would come. I beleived him for a loooong time, I used to jump over them when I crossed the street.

My siblings used to tell me if I flipped my jello (we used to have it alot for dessert on shabbos) the jello police would come and get me

ektsm

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 3:26 pm
I use to believe the tooth fairy was real. I would write a letter to her every time my tooth came out asking her for money. One time I asked for $20.00 and got $8. Can you imagine how chutzpedek that would be had I been an adult? LOL

luv2bamom

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 4:41 pm
lol! These kept me entertained for a coupla minutes! Momo5 you wrote mine a/b the watermelon seeds.
This one nobody told me but I was always sure that if you opened the back of the Video machine the actors would be in there. Also w/ the traffic light I was sure there was someone inside changing the lights. logical no?
Stories I believed, my brother convinced me that since my mother broke her arm while pregnant w/ me I mustve been the one to make her fall! I believed hm for years and felt soooooooo bad!

didan

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 5:22 pm
B"H

If you don't eat the last bite, you'll be an old maid (and my mother explained that an old maid is someone who never gets married). We sure were afraid...we used to cut the last piece in half, so now there were 2 and we weren't leaving over the last bite!

koolmother

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 5:37 pm
that babie come out of the belly button

shopaholic

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 6:21 pm
That my mother was 153 years old. I believed it until I was 9 & I heard her tell her friend how old she was. I never understood how she could be older than my g.mother (not that I knew how old she was either).

happy2beme

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 6:37 am
that my father was moshiach Smile
I believed that for a loooong time until I learned that the first moshiach- ben yosef has to die b4 moshiach ben dovid comes. then I started hoping my father wasn't moshiach because I wanted him to live 4ever!
I'm still trying to get up the guts to tell him that I thought he was moshiach- it would make his day but how do u start off a conversation like that? Smile
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics