Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ridiculous things you believed as a child!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

southernbubby

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 9:51 am
We were not frum so we played with a toy called a Ouiga board. This toy supposedly had evil spirits that gave answers to our questions. We believed these answers.

supermommy

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 3:34 pm
Quote:
This one nobody told me but I was always sure that if you opened the back of the Video machine the actors would be in there. Also w/ the traffic light I was sure there was someone inside changing the lights. logical no?
LOL
I used to think that there were little people inside the video screen too.
I also used to think there was a little woman inside everyones body taking care of everything inside and whenever my foot fell asleep I thought she was pouring sand down my leg. I also figured this little person took care of the babies in my mothers tummy cuz they gatta eat, and someone has to change them.

zkalan

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 4:16 pm
I used to think that if I eat black bread, pumpernickel, I won't be afraid of the dark, not true.

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 28 2006, 6:16 pm
My grandfather, a"h, always told me that if I eat carrots for 100 years, I'll live to be an old lady! Smile
Someone else told me that if you eat carrots, you'll be able to whistle Question

Bebe

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 12:09 pm
I used to think that if I inhaled a really bad smell I would start to smell like it!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 12:36 pm
Quote:
that my father was moshiach
I believed that for a loooong time until I learned that the first moshiach- ben yosef has to die b4 moshiach ben dovid comes. then I started hoping my father wasn't moshiach because I wanted him to live 4ever!

Though never told alot of us in our family thought and till today think our father is a Tzaddik nistar. My mother says laughingly very nistar. but even our husbands think there may be truth to it. Confused

happy2beme

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 12:10 pm
what about if u walk backwards u kill a malach? is that true?

binah918

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 12:34 pm
About five years ago, when I was about 17, those very chunky, Steve Madden platform boots were popular. I was wearing them one Shabbos while on a walk with my brother, age 8. As we were walking, he looked down at my boots and told me I couldn't wear them on Shabbos. I asked why very innocently. With a completely straight and seriously face he told me that because they're so heavy, they make a lot of friction when they scrape against the ground. And as I was walking, and scraping my feet against the ground, I was being mechalal Shabbos. I didn't beleive him and started laughing but he looked really upset and said that he started learning a new shiur in class about very practical/applicable halacha. He said they talked davka about this style boot because it was so popular. I still didn't beleive him. But he looked at me very seriously and said I was being mechalal Shabbos. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't take them off because there was no eruv. So we turned around to walk back home and I kinda had to march all the way home, picking my feeting very high off the ground so they wouldn't scrape and create this "friction." The minute we got in the door my brother started laughing harder than I'd ever seen. Needless to say, I realized he had been kidding the whole time! Fortunately I wasn't upset and started laughing just as hard! The whole thing, and especially how gullable I had been, was absolutely hilarious!!!

happy2beme

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 12:50 pm
Rolling Laughter binah

ektsm

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:18 pm
LOL

ButterflyGarden

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:48 pm
I thought the words to the song where "ain olam habah". shock Needless to say, I was very sad when this was sung on shabbat. B"H I was much happier after discovering that the word is actually "M'ain".

sarahd

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 2:42 pm
Well, if you're talking about misunderstood lyrics, I was always proud to have a cousin Tzali who had so many songs about him: Tzali voroni yosheves Tzion, Tzali umtzudosi... (I bet most of you never even heard of these songs so I guess I'm dating myself.)

bandcm

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 2:59 pm
hey that tzali umtzudosi song from the pirchim? I'm only 24 and I know that one - probably because my father loved them and played them alot - reminded him of his childhood!
Speaking of fathers, we believed my father was a beinoni (never sinned in his life). My brother and I were sure that only non-Jewish ppl HAD marital relations - I remember earnestly convincing a friend of mine of that when I was about 10 or 11

Bebe

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 6:08 pm
What about if you pull out a blade of grass your are killing a malach?

cl

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 11:35 am
tzali veroni, I know from my mother.
I have heard an believed so many of these...
the havdalla candle height = husbands height: I now tell my sis 2 do this!
drinking havdalla wine = beard / mustache: still wont drink it, not willing 2 risk it!
the candles in the mirror at midnight: still scares me to look in a mirror in the dark
eating fruit seeds = fruit tree grows inside u: never believed that one
eating too much sugar = sugar worm grows inside u: terrified me for years but still ate nosh!
make a funny face n the wind changes = ur face will stay like that: didnt believe it but heard it alot
if it rains on ur wedding day ur a fresser = we used 2 whisper that alot in the playground if it rained an there was a chuppa going on, poor kalla, thank G-d it didnt rain on my wedding day!
stepping over s/1 stunts their growth = DH also grew up with this one an gets nervous if anyone steps over DS
stepping back over undoes it = we used 2 that one too
o dear...

justanothermother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 8:55 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 10:01 pm
I was told if you swallow gum it'll stay in your stomach for 10 years. (I still occasionally swallow it!)
thanks for bringing back up this great thread, Just!

Ima'la

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 4:44 am
mommyabc123 wrote:
My grandfather, a"h, always told me that if I eat carrots for 100 years, I'll live to be an old lady! Smile

Guess he had a good sense of humor....OF COURSE that one's true - if you eat ANYTHING for 100 years you'll live to be an old lady!!!!!

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 9:52 pm
I believed there was a family of monsters living in the toilet drain and was scared they would come up out of the toilet bowl and bite my tush!

miriam

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:46 pm
EstiS wrote:
I believed there was a family of monsters living in the toilet drain and was scared they would come up out of the toilet bowl and bite my tush!

Oh my, that is pretty funny.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics