Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
English as Second Language

Imma

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:18 pm
Hi, my dd is 2 years old and I speak to her only in Enlish while my dh speaks to her in Hebrew (as well as in the gan) . Are there any dvds in English that fit her age ? I thought of buying an unlcl Moishy dvd, but I have never seen one.

natmichal

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 4:03 pm
If you have family from abroad, get them to buy and send...
try the mostly music site, I think they have dvd's too (inc. uncle moishe)
you can find "hagan shel dudu" in english - althought my kids enjoyed from aged 3 only
sesame street via internet (and any other thing you know of)
and how about.... forget about dvds - if dd is only 2, then (to my taste) she should be less in front of a dvd and more listening to stories told by you, tapes and cds, lots of miming and show and tell
whatever you do - do it in english - even when with all the israeli gang around (and yes it hard)
(we have a ds aged 5 1/2 and dd aged 4 whose "proper english learning" only started last year)

Imma

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 4:34 pm
I'm talking, reading stories, explaining non stop all in English. I just wanted her to hear it from someone other than me , and in a nice and fun way. But do you think that Uncle Moishy can suit her?

natmichal

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 1:31 pm
To tell you the truth, I showed the kids parts of the marvelous middos machine a couple of weeks ago (found out most of it on youtube!). they got some of it - not all. partly b/c they are not used to american accent (I have a British mum and dh is from Canada - and we both speak slower that a "real US person"), partly b/c of the language itslef, but mainly b/c they are just too young - it more geared to 6-8 years olds.
However the few uncle moishe I found on youtube were more suited. I'm not sure about an under 3 though. Maybe show her a few clips from youtube? it will save you money for now, and give you an idea about being it fit?
Just bear in mind that even if you were showing her stuff in Hebrew it would be more Ariella Savir material (easy songs with rhymes) and less "stories" - unless she's a very bright 2 y.o. and/or is already watching stuff in hebrew. I'd go to Gal paz in geula - they have quite a selection (in English too) and maybe they can help you decide. Good luck.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 2:10 pm
I've been letting my almost 2 year old watch Blue's Clues and The Backyardigans.

catonmylap

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 3:59 pm
My 2 year old watches the Sesame Street Podcasts (they are free to download), Yo Gabba Gabba, and/or whatever we put on. In our case, I'm more worried about his Hebrew at this point since dh and I are both English speakers.

Do you have English gan options in your area?

Imma

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:01 pm
I've been showing her Malkali but I wanted something more "American", thanx for your advice.

to Yeshasettler: are Blue's Clues and The Backyardigans frum dvd's?

Imma

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:03 pm
If you live in Bney Brak: They're planning on oppening an English gan that half the day will be in Hebrew and half in English, but I think it will be for girls.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:30 pm
Imma wrote:
I've been showing her Malkali but I wanted something more "American", thanx for your advice.

to Yeshasettler: are Blue's Clues and The Backyardigans frum dvd's?

No, but they're toddler shows.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics