Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Did you have any last minute crises this year?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

imaamy

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 9:31 pm
Again, I clogged the sink with potato peels. Trying to hurry instead of throwing them in the trash. I cleared it, but was mad at myself since I've done the same thing before. And the kugel wasn't even good and is still in the fridge....

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 10:10 pm
The day of bedikas chometz, while cooking, baking, and my cleaning lady washing all the laundry, my water stops, with no prior warning. I called my neighbor to make sure it wasn't only me. I call the water dept., and reminded them, that the notice we got last week, said, next monday, as in tomorrow, chol hamoed, monday, or if its raining, erev the second days, tuesday. They started arguing with me, then when I told her, I confirmed it with my neighbor, she put me on hold. Comes back and says, yes, I am right. It will be back on in 20 minutes. You shoulda heard my cleaning lady, the way she said, they crazy...... Not that tomorrow, or Tuesday this week is any better. Still got to make yomtov again..... I hope it gets done tomorrow. Tuesday my cleaning lady comes, and I gotta cook and bake AGAIN.

goodheart

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 10:26 pm
Omg ! myfriends sry to hear what u went through. I feel for u I have alot of food
u can come get some. I hope ur second days will be better
after hearing ur crisis well I guess mine is not as bad.

QUEENY

Post Sun, Apr 12 2009, 11:27 pm
Two minutes before I was ready to light candles I saw my 6 yr old ds from the corner of my eye. I started screaming and he knew why. I started chasing him so I can look for myself how bad his hair looked after he cut off his bangs with a scissors. I just got him a haircut before yom tov and now there is a chunk missing from the front of his head. I had like two seconds to try to even it out. Now b'h we can laugh about it.

mommalah

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 12:39 am
Did I mention that the no hot water situation went on for about 6 days and I was only able to bath in about 3 inches of water? And I had to do Pesach cleaning with cold water...

drumjj

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 4:28 am
I realized two mins before yom tov that I have no yarzheit light to light candles for the second and third days. went around the house looking for scented candles. its not really a crisis. everything else feels like a crisis along with the extra guests I ended up having right before pesach so now I have a seven week old baby and eight ppl to feed every meal plus the guests on top. its really a fun pesach and also I just found out right before pesach that one of my guests has a nut allergy on top of it.

bnm

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 5:08 am
I hadn't started cleaning a thing the Thursday before yom tov because I was depending on my usual Thursday cleaning help to help out. SHE DIDN"T SHOW UP!!!! she didn't answer her cell phone all day and I freaked out, my husband even more. B"H my MIL found me someone who came Monday morning at 9, left at 6 and did my ENTIRE house. my regular help better never show up again because the emergency help is HIRED!!!! (she did an excellent job, better then the regular lady)

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 9:11 am
I alo had cleaning help hired who never showed up! Our entire downstairs was still chometz, and my mother's help and her friend were supposed to come on Sunday for 3 hours each, and cancelled Sunday morning! my sister took out my almost 3 year old and my 1 1/2yr old, and I kept my 4 week old baby, and DH and I did it all...

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 9:12 am
I bought a new food processor as my chometz one died so I figured I'll use it new for pesach and then for chametz.

I left my other pesach one in our machsan thinking I won't need it.

when I wanted to use the new food processor I found it doesn't work and we had sold our machsan.

eventually I asked a rav who said I could take it out.

freidasima

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 9:25 am
bronchitis.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 10:09 am
I realized on erev pesach that we had no wine goblets since we had never made a seder in Israel before. We managed to buy some before.

debs123

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 12:46 pm
wow - young mommy - I relate - after doing it all yourself treat yourself to something with the money you would have paid the cleaning ladies - it will make you feel that much better about it!! Smile

By us - as I was about to grind 12 kg of fish I had bought I realized the mixer wasn't working. My DS, the night before, killed the motor by drowning it in lemon juice - never told him as he meant to help. He didn't realize the bowl needed to be emptied Wink Anyways, there were my 12 kg of fish waiting and I ran out to try to fix mixer and when told it was helpless, buy a new one. Yes it was a very late night till the fish could be frozen.

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 1:08 pm
This is minor compared to some, but we went away for the first days, to a family dh knew from grad school.

So, under the rather logical assumption that the seder is at home, my 1 yr old will not be awake, and my almost (and now) 4 yr old will stay up through mah nishatanah and then shluff....and I will tumble into bed, etc.

We arrive, and find out less than 2 hrs before shkiyah that the sedarim are BOTH at shul (a 10 min walk away), my kids won't sleep there (even though we could find a dark room, I knew they wouldn't and they didn't despite trying) so my kids (and therefore mommy) were so messed up bc they stayed up until 1am both nights.

Why didn't we know that the sedarim were going to be at shul this year? bc dh spoke to the rabbi, and at no point was the rebbetzin or myself actually involved in this yom tov invite.

Then,t he 2nd day, I had the headache from gehinnom and spent the afternoon in bed with a frozen leben thawing on my head for the pain, and on shabbos had a fever(including all the goodness of chills and aches and pain) that I actually took some adwe for, and proceeded to be sick multiple times (bc all I had in my stomach was the few doses of adwe) on the 2.5 hr drive back home motzei shabbos. Finally falling asleep at 3am and NOT looking forward to being alone and sick with my kids on Sunday bc dh had to work.

We're also living as nomads fractionally in our new apt (with a pesachdikke kitchen), no furniture, and sleeping on air mattresses....which is stressful enough when I'm not sick.

Sorry if I sound like a baby, but I'm sleep deprived and feverish whenever the acetaminophen (sp?) wears off.

But, hearing the story of the person stuck at the airport makes me appreciate what is going right with this chag.

octopus

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 4:36 pm
the monday before pesach (day before bedikas chametz) I thought I smelled natural gas in the basement. we called national grid- turns out- we had a gas leak. they turned off all gas which meant that I couldn't cook. but b'h it was fixed and we're all okay. now that was my pre-pesach crisis that I will probably be recounting for the ages.

ETA- which means I had no heat and no hot water....

QUEENY

Post Mon, Apr 13 2009, 10:48 pm
Octopus you will be talking about it for years. Four years ago I was kashering my burners and the blech was hanging over the computer panel of my oven and burnt it out. I couldn't cook or bake until the part was replaced. I couldn't get a new part until after Shavous, the company kept ordering the wrong one, wrong size etc.

Ilovechoumous

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 2:02 am
I kashered our stove top, counter top and siinks on tuesday night. we were going out for the seder but still had to cook. by about 11 am, I realized that our stove top wasnt working. we went out to buy a new one, but couldnt install it because the gas hose didnt reach. I ran to a friend's house to cook who was sleepign. it was not an ideal situation.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 8:11 am
Totally forgot most of the grocery shops and butchers are closed chol-hamoed.

I'M OUT OF CHICKEN, SUGAR AND MATZO MEAL FOR THE REMAINING DAYS!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 10:32 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Totally forgot most of the grocery shops and butchers are closed chol-hamoed.

I'M OUT OF CHICKEN, SUGAR AND MATZO MEAL FOR THE REMAINING DAYS!

I think you can get sugar anywhere, but I know by us they don't shecht so I bought enoujgh meat (and milk) for 2 weeks. I doubt we'll see anything fresh until next week.

bbmom

Post Tue, Apr 14 2009, 4:20 pm
We only remembered that our food processor broke last year when we started using on erev yom tov. We made due but it wasn't easy!

GAMZu

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 1:59 am
bbmom wrote:
We only remembered that our food processor broke last year when we started using on erev yom tov. We made due but it wasn't easy!
Why did you save it if it was broken?

We had a situation 2 years ago where our processor didn't want to work. We closed it properly and all, but it seemed like the button that it supposed to latch when you close it well wasn't latching. So I bought a new one on chol hamoed. And then the old one started to work! So we kept one for the rest of the year and one for Pesach.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics