Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Lag b'omer inspire me?

willow

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 2:31 pm
The tittle says it all. I don't really know what today is about. Yes we went out to see bonfires but I feel like I am missing out on something. I would like to tap into the kedusha but don't know exactly what is going on.
I feel like tomorrow will be another reg day, just with my and dd home bored.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 2:45 pm
Well I didn't go out at all tonight because dd was sleeping. I'm sure Aish.com has something meaningful to say about lag baomer.

willow

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 2:56 pm
Hey thank you I didn't even think of Aish.

Seraph

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 2:57 pm
Lag baomer was rabbi shimon bar yochai's yahrtzeit. The day he died he taught his talmidim lots of secrets from the torah, and it was a happy day because so much more torah was brought into the world. The fires are connected to the fact that torah=fire, so when you see the bonfires, try to associate that with the beauty of torah.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 3:11 pm
take dd and yourself on a tiyul.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 3:44 pm
Seraph wrote:
Lag baomer was rabbi shimon bar yochai's yahrtzeit. The day he died he taught his talmidim lots of secrets from the torah, and it was a happy day because so much more torah was brought into the world. The fires are connected to the fact that torah=fire, so when you see the bonfires, try to associate that with the beauty of torah.

Yesssss.

When I go to a bonfire and see the children around it singing "Bar Yochai" it totally gives me the goosebumps. Maybe because it reminds me of Meron? That place really does it for me.

grin

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 3:53 pm
I heard that the bonfire is like a gigantic ner neshama for R. Shimon and represents the fire that appeared over his body at his petira.

Also, he revealed toras hanistar that brings us closer to Moshiach's coming.

But I agree that it's hard to feel all this amidst all the everyday drudgery.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 4:41 pm
I work every day and I'm tired at night. I'm not sure I EVER did anything for L'ag B'omer in my whole life.

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 6:07 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I work every day and I'm tired at night. I'm not sure I EVER did anything for L'ag B'omer in my whole life.

Well, there's always a first time Very Happy

Raisin

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 6:18 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

I don't think I ever didn't do anything for lag beomer.

I have a very busy day tomorrow.

(you did give me a recipe which I might use at our bbq tomorrow)

TzenaRena

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 6:31 pm
The simcha of Lag B'Omer, the Yom Hilulah of the Rashbi, celebrates the revelation of Pnimius HaTorah, the Neshamah of Torah. It is the day that the barrier which separates between the revealed Torah and the hidden Torah was diffused, as alluded to in the verse: This GAL (mound) is a witness, and this monument is a witness that I shall not traverse this mound, and you shall not traverse to me... for wrong"- (Vayetzei 31:52), However, the barrier CAN be traversed for good purposes, as for trade and commerce (Rashi, ibid).
from an article on Chabad.org:
Quote:
Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai, who lived in the 2nd century of the Common Era, was the first to publicly teach the mystical dimension of the Torah known as the "Kabbalah," and is the author of the basic work of Kabbalah, the Zohar. On the day of his passing, Rabbi Shimon instructed his disciples to mark the date as "the day of my joy."

The Chassidic masters explain that the final day of a righteous person's earthly life marks the point at which "all his deeds, teachings and work" achieve their culminating perfection and the zenith of their impact upon our lives. So each Lag BaOmer we celebrate Rabbi Shimon's life and the revelation of the esoteric soul of Torah.

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....r.htm
http://www.chabad.org/library/.....I.htm

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 7:25 pm
Raisin wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

I don't think I ever didn't do anything for lag beomer.

I have a very busy day tomorrow.

(you did give me a recipe which I might use at our bbq tomorrow)

so, you even me out !

I always workled full time; what choice did I have ?

greenfire

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 11:03 pm
what about all the lag b'omer parades worldwide ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics