Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Seuda for Birkat HaChama?

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:38 am
I learned you are meant to make a seuda for Birkat HaChama- thats Erev Pesach morning!!
Hopefully I'll be able to sort something out..

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:45 am
I've been reading a sefer on Birkas hachama, and I didn't see anything at all about a seuda. Since when do we make a seuda on a bracha? I guess a man who fancied a seuda and doesn't have to make Pesach dreamed this up. Do you have a source? It is going to be quite enough getting up with the neitz for birchas hachama on EP.

Another reason not to let dh read this site...

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:47 am
I wonder if it's something you *can* make a seuda of if desired to avoid the fast? Dh is number 5 so it hasn't come up in this family, but my neighbor's dh was trying to find a seuda.

hila

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:55 am
Our town is having davening en masse in two places, with a siyum, and food. Not sure what food though. Maybe we will take sandwiches . dh is a bechor

EM

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 4:02 am
I dunno - I said something to my husband about making a 'sun party' (half joking) and he was like, whoa - sounds like avoda zara to me!

freidasima

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 5:23 am
I have learned the sources for Birkas Hachama extensively lately with dh and there is no inyan of seuda. The only inyan is to make a siyum right after it it comes out on Erev Pesach, which it doesn't always as we will see in our lifetimes if we live long enough.

Just the opposite, rabbonim have stated categorically that mipnei tirchas hatzibur on erev Pesach one should not keep it long but short, berov am but not much more than that.

And to tell you the truth, after Pesach cooking and "hasponja hagedola" the night before, which will probably take us here until 2 or 3 AM, exactly how much kavvono for making a seuda (not to speak of making a coherent brocho) will I actually have at 5:45 AM when they get up for Vatikin??!! Whoever thought up this stuff must have been a man. A woman would have made birkas hachama only after Pesach was over...

natmichal

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 6:20 am
freidasima wrote:
I. A woman would have made birkas hachama only after Pesach was over...

I love you!!! Seriously - I have no clue if someone is working towards a siyum in our moshav but do know that dh isn't for the first time in ages (too much work!! - guess who ends up with of Pesach then...), BUT, dh is bechor - and so is 5yo ds - so I don't mind giving the mezonot left in the house al haboker and getting done with it.
As for waking up early.. we're all up before 6 on any given day anyway, so what's the big deal?

pinkbubbles

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 6:32 am
OK so I found out its a Sefardi custom: http://www.dailyhalacha.com/di.....=1796

"Rav Pinhas Zevihi, in his work Ateret Paz (listen to audio recording for precise citation), records such a practice and writes that this is a proper custom to follow. He adds that some people have the custom to eat a festive meal and give charity on the day of Birkat Ha’hama to give praise and thanksgiving to the Almighty for granting them the privilege of performing this rare and special Misva."

It is only once every 28 years.. this year we are going away to family for Pesach so I won't be that busy preparing. I'll see if I can prepare something small in advance for DH and I.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 8:33 am
In many places, it's customary to have a siyum/seuda on erev pesach morning anyways due to taanis bochurim (fast of the firstborn). So whether or not it is an inyan for a birkas hachama seuda, there ends up being one (when it falls on erev pesach) bc firstborns don't want to be making final pesach preps and waiting until the seder to start eating....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics