Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PSA Remember to take your children out of the car!!
1  2  3  4  Next

Inspired

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 11:50 pm
Prompted by the recent event in kiryat gat: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/S.....63766
I wanted to remind everyone of the dangers of leaving a child in a car.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/.....y.asp

http://www.kidsandcars.org/

http://www.harrisonshope.org/

http://ggweather.com/heat/
Quote:
Already in 2009 there have been threedeaths of infants after being left inside a hot vehicle. Last year there were a total of at least forty-two such fatalities in the United States due to hyperthermia after they were left in hot cars, trucks, vans and SUV's. This sadly followed 35 and 42 child deaths in 2007 and 2006 respectively. Since 1998 there have been at least a total of 418 of these needless tragedies. This study shows that these incidents can occur on days with relatively mild (I.e., ~ 70 degrees F) temperatures and that vehicles can occur reach life-threatening temperatures very rapidly.

STATISTICS

* Total number of U.S. hyperthermia deaths of children left in cars, 2009: 3
* Total number of U.S. hyperthermia deaths of children left in cars, 2008: 42
* Total number of U.S. hyperthermia deaths of children left in cars, 1998-2009: 418
* Average number of U.S. child hyperthermia fatalities per year since 1998: 38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM7jubjV-J0

Raisin

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 6:53 am
also, this happened to me a few months ago, I opened the car using an electronic key, put the baby in the car seat, put the keys on the front seat, and closed the door because it was cold. I ran inside to get something and got distracted for about 2 minutes. When I came back out, the door had automatically relocked itself. I never knew that the key did this.

we called someone and had the car reopened in an hour or so, but the poor baby was not very happy. bh it wasn't boiling hot weather.

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 7:12 am
but raisin - as "irresponsible" as it was to leave your baby in the car for 2 min....had it been stifilingly hot and there was no locksmith in sight, Im suuuure you (just like any parent) wouldve done wahtever it takes to get into the car. break a window, if you couldnt do that, take a sledge hammer and smash the windsheild, etc. there is no cost to great for getting the baby out of there, etc.

these pathetic articles are talking about people who left their kids in the car not just for "2 min" while they went inside to run an errand....but people who forgot and went to work or something insane like that!

Raisin

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 7:22 am
ss321 wrote:
but raisin - as "irresponsible" as it was to leave your baby in the car for 2 min....had it been stifilingly hot and there was no locksmith in sight, Im suuuure you (just like any parent) wouldve done wahtever it takes to get into the car. break a window, if you couldnt do that, take a sledge hammer and smash the windsheild, etc. there is no cost to great for getting the baby out of there, etc.

these pathetic articles are talking about people who left their kids in the car not just for "2 min" while they went inside to run an errand....but people who forgot and went to work or something insane like that!

I am not saying I was irresponsible - I had no idea the key would relock the car!!!! if I would do this again I would be irresponsible. I am just telling people this so they shouldn't do the same thing. true, I could've broken the window (also dangerous in case flying glass hits the baby) but bh the baby was in no danger. she was strapped in, and it wasn't too hot or cold.

chavamom

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:38 am
ss321 - we had an incident like this locally a few years ago. The mom was a pediatrician at the hospital where I work and the dad a medical researcher. This was an IVF baby that was very much loved and wanted. It was a mix-up, each parent thought the other had the baby. I just don't want you to think that only irresponsible, "insane" people have this happen. PSA well taken

Last edited by chavamom on Fri, May 15 2009, 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total

ss321

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:40 am
Chavamom, I pm'd u.

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:52 am
chavamom wrote:
ss321 - we had an incident like this locally a few years ago. The mom was a pediatrician at the hospital where I work and the dad a medical researcher. This was an IVF baby that was very much loved and wanted. It was a mix-up, each parent thought the other had the baby. I just don't want you to think that only irresponsible, "insane" people have this happen. PSA well taken
Somebody on my IVF message board sounds just like this couple. Their son is listed on one of the websites given above. Waited for, and loved this kid, but made a tragic mistake when he was on his way to work.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:54 am
Clarissa wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Somebody on my IVF message board sounds just like this couple. Their son is listed on one of the websites given above. Waited for, and loved this kid, but made a tragic mistake when he was on his way to work.

this is such a sad sad story. I hope the couple have survived the experience. Crying Crying Crying

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:55 am
In the story I'm describing, they have since had three children.

yitta25

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 10:59 am
This happened to me once. I was loading the kids in the car. 6 months and 2 years old at the time. My 2 year old took the keys out of my hand while I was buckling the baby in. Doors were unlocked, but when I closed the kids door, my son had hit the lock button. It was one of the hottest days in the summer...must have been over 85. BH chaverim were there within 5 minutes. Yes, I would have broken a window if the kids would start crying or it would take a bit longer than that. I was hoping he will press the unlock button.

chavamom

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 11:04 am
Clarissa wrote:

It would not be the same family that I'm describing as this happened in 2007. I think the one you are talking got a lot of press b/c the parents have been very active in promoting awareness. Incidents have gone up dramatically since the recommendation to always have kids in the back seat. People used to put baby car seats up front with mom - anyone else old enough to remember that? Before airbags?

Clarissa

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 11:12 am
chavamom wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

It would not be the same family that I'm describing as this happened in 2007. I think the one you are talking got a lot of press b/c the parents have been very active in promoting awareness. Incidents have gone up dramatically since the recommendation to always have kids in the back seat. People used to put baby car seats up front with mom - anyone else old enough to remember that? Before airbags?
Yes, the family I'm talking about lost their son in about 2003, and they've been on "Today," in People Mag, and lots of other places.

stem

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 11:21 am
As a precaution, I NEVER close a door unless another one is open first or I'm inside.

Inspired

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 11:34 am
chavamom wrote:

Thank you. Anyone who feels judgmental or self righteous needs to read some articles and check that feeling.

Love My Babes

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 3:32 pm
Raisin wrote:
I am not saying I was irresponsible...
I dont mean to be judgemental, but u dont think running back in the house for 2 minutes with a baby in an unlocked car is a bit irresponsible???????
anyone could have walked by and seen ur kid and who knows wut could have happened???? im not saying things like this dont happen, but I think its reallllly scary. I have never left my car with my daughter inside without being in eyesight of her door at all times.. I know im paranoid, but thats just my opinion.

cassandra

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 3:56 pm
I think it probably depends what your setup is. My house is in a quiet area at the end of a really long driveway and I don't feel strange bucking my kid in the car and running back into the house for a second (which is two feet from the car) to grab my bag or get my kid's sippy cup or something. If my setup was different I might feel differently.

Love My Babes

Post Fri, May 15 2009, 3:58 pm
I live in brooklyn. of course if u leave a kid in a car that is unlocked u are asking for trouble..but im just paranoid in general

Raisin

Post Sat, May 16 2009, 6:43 pm
cassandra wrote:
I think it probably depends what your setup is. My house is in a quiet area at the end of a really long driveway and I don't feel strange bucking my kid in the car and running back into the house for a second (which is two feet from the car) to grab my bag or get my kid's sippy cup or something. If my setup was different I might feel differently.

I was within eyesight of the car the entire time, if you are worried. the car is in my driveway 2 feet from the house, and there are no steps up to the house. and I do not live in Brooklyn.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 10:54 pm
You know, I used to be one of those people who would judge harshly every time I heard about babies being locked or left in the car.

Then I finally got to adopt the daughter that I'd waited 20 years for. You can't possibly imagine a more loved or wanted baby - except that she was massively colicy. I hadn't slept for weeks on end, and I was a zombie. DH and I took her with us to the pharmacy to get some colic drops. He got out of the car, I got out of the car and shut my door. DH says to me "Honey, aren't you forgetting something?" I check to see if I have my purse and cell phone, and give him a blank look. He says "Um, the baby?"

I was in such a hurry to get in there and get her some medicine so that I could get some sleep, I totally forgot to take her out of the car! I know for a fact that if DH hadn't been with me, I would have walked away from the car and left her there, and it was the middle of June. shock

Right then and there, I stopped and prayed to Hashem to forgive me for every harsh thought I've ever had against parents who have been in my shoes.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 2:11 am
there was an article on this topic once in a magazine and a woman wrote that she started keeping her purse in the back seat so she would remember to take the baby out when she got out of the car.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics