Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Ceramic Tiles Pros and Cons
Previous  1  2

etky

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 2:20 am
We have balatot upstairs in the bedrooms - they were much cheaper when we were renovating and this was before the wooden laminate came into vogue for bedrooms. We could have put down regular ceramic tiles, as we did in the bathrooms, for the same price, but I preferred the balatot. I actually think that they have their advantages. They don't show dirt nearly as much as the ceramic tiles do and they are cooler to the touch, which is nice in a warm climate.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 7:38 am
etky wrote:
We have balatot upstairs in the bedrooms - they were much cheaper when we were renovating and this was before the wooden laminate came into vogue for bedrooms. We could have put down regular ceramic tiles, as we did in the bathrooms, for the same price, but I preferred the balatot. I actually think that they have their advantages. They don't show dirt nearly as much as the ceramic tiles do and they are cooler to the touch, which is nice in a warm climate.

Whats balatot?

etky

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 7:44 am
amother wrote:
Whats balatot?

It's terrazzo - a composite material of stone and quartz chips bound with a cement type binder. It comes in tile form and it used to be ubiquitious in Israel. It's still pretty popular - the most basic flooring that you can put down, though ceramics of all sorts have somewhat taken over in the past decades.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 7:55 am
amother wrote:
Whats balatot?

These are the traditional balatot in Israel, a mix of small stones with a cement base. Maybe someone more knowledgeable knows exactly what's inside (eta, while I was busy trying to post a picture I see someone more knowledgeable did answer). Once upon a time ALL the houses in Israel had this type of flooring.

Today it's back in style, but the colours are updated. The older ones were very 'spotty' and busy. Today a lot of soft yellows and beiges, some greys. Also people use balatot to form patterns. (Wish I knew how to post pics).

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 8:05 am

Trying to upload images....here are examples of the balatot of yore

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 8:13 am
And examples of balatot in style now:

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 8:22 am
etky wrote:
They don't show dirt nearly as much as the ceramic tiles do and they are cooler to the touch, which is nice in a warm climate.

We have extremely dark (and busy) terrazzo, came with the house. After I sweep I have to search for the pile of dirt for quite a while. It hides EVERYTHING, perhaps too much...

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 10:13 am
I love love love ceramic. I dont know if balatot are the same. its definitely a mix of diff stones. I also dont know which one is cheaper. but I know the israelis love them. ask the israeli imamothers. it washes like a dream. its cool for the hot weather. I love ceramic for the same reason. it washes like a dream. its great for basements as its known for floods and it wont mold. no matter how dirty it gets it gets just as clean as when you buy it. however it needs to be installed by someone that knows what hes doing. or it wont stand time. can crack and look bad. experience here. I had a light color so it showed all dirt but you can get a color that doesnt show. in my mind I think its more practical bec it holds up well.

sourstix

Post Mon, Nov 09 2015, 10:21 am
but I would make sure not to get a light color. that will make a difference between being enslaved to your floor and not. very big factor in making a decision
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics