Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Can't people manage without baby wipes?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

wif

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:36 pm
BinahYeteirah wrote:
I don't use disposable wipes, paper towels, pads, or tampons. I do not own a dishwasher, a washing machine, or a dryer. On top of all that I am EATING BEANS RIGHT NOW!!!

And your name is "Beanah!" Hee hee.

Or not hee hee. It might be past my bedtime.

pacifier

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 3:52 pm
wif wrote:
BinahYeteirah wrote:
I don't use disposable wipes, paper towels, pads, or tampons. I do not own a dishwasher, a washing machine, or a dryer. On top of all that I am EATING BEANS RIGHT NOW!!!

And your name is "Beanah!" Hee hee.

Or not hee hee. It might be past my bedtime.

what are we talking about wipes or not being a necessity? what about our computers? selling your computer will get you wipes for 2 years!!!

joke apart, I would understand someone asking if pampers wipes/diapers... are a necessity, or if a brand name could do; and that goes for a lot of products.
Such a thread should be more informative (pros /cons of products...) than judgmental.
No one can judge why others put their money in wipes instead of beans or in school/camp instead of homeschooling.......

bbmom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:00 pm
Kirkland wipes from diapers.com are about $.03 a wipe.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:10 pm
Quote:
I never said wipes aren't useful or time saving. I just said that if someone doesn't have enough money for food, wipes could be something they did without. ss321, you didn't say the needy amother had asked for wipes, just someone suggested imamothers could buy them for her. I was surprised that people viewed them as a necessity and also surprised by some of the responses here that it is so difficult to take a child to the bathroom to wash them off.

Tehilla, I agree that if possible people needing tzedaka should be given nice and non-basic things too. The question is if there is enough money available in this case to provide for basics and extras.

The bottom line here is who is to decide what is basics and what is extras? What is basic for me might be extra for you and vice versa. Would you be upset if someone spent tzedaka money on ketchup? For some that is an extra, in my family it is a staple food like bread. And how about bread? Would you expect anyone who receives tzedaka to make homemade bread since its much cheaper?
Yes, everyone could manage without baby wipes, just like they could manage without mayonnaise and apples and paper towels. But for many people it is a necessity just like apples.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:45 pm
gold21 wrote:
clarissa, lame jab. I dont give a flip about beans. Find me another recent post of mine where I mention beans. It does happen to be a cheap protein. Correct? Ladies, I am all for dishwashers and beans and wipes and whatever else floats your boats. Just stop being weird and saying wipes are not a necessity. K? By the way, why use pads when you have your period? you could save money and stick a sponge in your underwear. no?
It was a joke about the bean comments here, not about your post. I actually don't feel one way or another (aka don't give a flip) about what you said, but I'm laughing at all of the bean comments on Imamother. Frankly, I thought you'd laugh along. Sorry if it bothered you.

By the way, in college, my friends and I did use sea sponges instead of tampons, for a while.

One little tiny hint. I don't think you necessarily saying that people who don't find wipes to be a necessity are "weird." I just think it may bother them, as they don't feel weird about it, and they might think you are weird for getting so worked up about it. Just a tiny hint, not a jab.

Sorry my joke made you feel bad. I hope the next person that brings up beans is okay if I think the same thing. I won't type it, but I'll be thinking it!

(ps I'm one of the few posters on this thread who actually had no opinions about using or not using wipes. My post said that I do use them, but not to excess, and I supplement with re-washable cloths. So I'm not the enemy, wipe-wise, of either side)

Last edited by Clarissa on Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:51 pm
TMI:
I can't use the bathroom without Charmin wipes (or any wipe, at the very least). I keep them in baggies in my purse just in case the need should occur. When we go on vacation and forget them, our first stop is at a store to purchase some. I totally don't know how anyone gets clean without them (or a bidet). Sometimes you may think you're totally clean, but then the wipe test will prove ya wrong!
Smile

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:54 pm
One of my best friends actually has to do that often, Defy. I don't. Different kinds of people have different kinds of poop. Some people just naturally make messier ones. I have a friend who practically has to shower every time she goes, it's so messy.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 4:58 pm
I've converted tons of my friends to wipe-usage. Most of them used to think I was nuts, and now they also swear by them! DH used to think that wipes were gross, and now he's a believer.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 5:00 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I've converted tons of my friends to wipe-usage. Most of them used to think I was nuts, and now they also swear by them! DH used to think that wipes were gross, and now he's a believer.
You're not a friend of Kanye West's, are you? (do you know about him?)

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 5:02 pm
What about him?

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 5:06 pm
Oops, not Kanye, somebody else. I'll find out who and send you a link. Not a singer, an actor, and he said that he thinks women should always stay fresh, and should make sure they use baby wipes. It was a charming quote.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 5:08 pm
Sorry, it's Terrence Howard, from "Hustle and Flow." He said that if he sees only toilet paper in a potential girlfriend's bathroom, it's a deal-breaker. Here's the quote from Mr. Charm:

"Toilet paper - and no baby wipes - in the bathroom. If they're using dry paper, they aren't washing all of themselves. It's just unclean. So if I go in a woman's house and see the toilet paper there, I'll explain this. And if she doesn't make the adjustment to baby wipes, I'll know she's not completely clean."

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 5:09 pm
clarissa, Ok then, sorry that I misinterpereted. anyways yes I do find it weird that some ppl use cloth wipes, much as someone else might think its weird if I would decide to walk around in a tablecloth to save money on clothes. Tho seeing some posts here, I wouldnt be surprised to hear that a couple imamother ladies do that.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 5:17 pm
gold21 wrote:
clarissa, Ok then, sorry that I misinterpereted. anyways yes I do find it weird that some ppl use cloth wipes, much as someone else might think its weird if I would decide to walk around in a tablecloth to save money on clothes. Tho seeing some posts here, I wouldnt be surprised to hear that a couple imamother ladies do that.
I understand what you're saying, but here's what I've noticed with real life people. I know people who think nothing of buying three pairs of shoes, but go crazy only buying potato chips for which they have coupons. Or people who drive really awful, old cars because they feel they can't avoid another, but order in food. I think my examples may be lame, but my point is that it's possible to consider some things necessities, while your friend would never consider it to be so, but they stay within budget in other ways. We all have our issues about what is worth money is essential, and what isn't. I'm the cheapest person in certain ways (with liquid soap, for instance) but am very casual sometimes about buying a new book, which costs way more than a bottle of soap.

Some people are frugal about everything, or live very basic lives. Different strokes for different folks.

fruitbasket

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 8:11 pm
most pro wipes posts seem to imply that they're only used for kids. I know adults who use em as well.
And no I'd definitely NOT change a baby in a kitchen sink... think about the germs..... gross.

Raizle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 8:18 pm
I'm not reading the whole thread but shalhevet I really dont' think your suggestions are practical.
Besides, soap cost money to and also has chemicals in it.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 8:57 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
TMI:
I can't use the bathroom without Charmin wipes (or any wipe, at the very least). I keep them in baggies in my purse just in case the need should occur. When we go on vacation and forget them, our first stop is at a store to purchase some. I totally don't know how anyone gets clean without them (or a bidet). Sometimes you may think you're totally clean, but then the wipe test will prove ya wrong!
Smile

did I just write that?! We go through 4-6 packs a week. One messy baby and an entire family with major 'yuck' issues.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 9:02 pm
613 wrote:
Just like I use toilet paper for myself, I use wipes for my kids.

A lady with some common sense.

I shudder to think of the next thread, "Is it considered spoiled to use more than one square of toilet paper per bathroom use?"

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 9:03 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:

I shudder to think of the next thread, "Is it considered spoiled to use more than one square of toilet paper per bathroom use?"

Shaking Shaking Shaking Shaking

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 9:04 pm
Clarissa wrote:
gold21 wrote:
Yes if one is desperate she can get by without wipes, such as one can get by on potatoes and beans for the family every morning and night for a year. but its not easy or normal.

How come, whenever somebody posts about whether a certain thing is necessary, somebody has to mention beans? This is the most bean-obsessed site I've ever been on.

You don't think it's important that I have a house? What, do you think I should live on beans?

You don't think a person should have more than one winter coat? What's next, forcing me to eat beans?

You think I shouldn't give my husband a hard time for not helping around the house. What are you going to say next, that I should have beans for breakfast?

What is the connection between beans and every other thing on the planet?

BEANS BEANS THEY'RE GOOD FOR THE HEART.........
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains