Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Lava cakes

notme

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:32 am
Has anyone tried to make a lava cake and warmed it up on Yom Tov or kept it on the blech Fri night? Tell me how you did it and if it worked. It sounds so yummy but I'm afraid it will dry out if I re-warm it.

sky

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 10:59 am
I don't have a sceince for this. I've made ss321's choc runny cake from Dunkin Hines cake with great success. I freeze a bunch of them in ramekins. Then when I need them I let them defrost on the counter - sometimes stick them in the oven for a minute or two to speed it up and then put it on top of my cholent pot before shabbos and normally by the time we are ready for dessert it is piping hot and not yet dried up. I cover it loosley with foil just to keep the heat in. But it is not an exact science so I don't know for sure.
(Also, check if you can heat it up on shabbos itself, I was told that because it is melting the choc and changing its form you cannot and it must be put on the blech/crock pot before shabbos begins)

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Oct 01 2009, 11:33 pm
If you put them on top of something else and not directly on the blech before shabbat then they will be just hot enough by dessert time without melting. I made lava cake for RH and it came out amazing.

notme

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 2:01 pm
cool I will try that. Do you have a recipe for one? Thanks!

sky

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 6:40 pm
I make this recipe all the time and it is so easy and great.
ss321 wrote:

molten choc cake from duncan hines brownie mix. I put in one extra egg yolk and about 1/2 c sugar and some godiva or something comparable into the mix. makes it more "runny"
you do them in those little souffle cups then invert them.
I serve with a scoop of parve ice cream like butter pecan or honey something like that, and a biscotti cookie on top, make the plate look all nice w/ some confectioners sugar and stuff. looks pretty gourmet and is Super easy takes under 5min to make.
my variation on this is runny choc chip cookies instead. but that takes more time because I make the cookie batter (you know - add flour brown sugar regular sugar margarine vanilla baking powder and eggs to a bowl and stuff). for the runny center I put in extra choc chips in the center of each dish and it makes this delicious center of molten chocolate!

Or check out this thread - I've never made it: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

Ashrei

Post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 7:15 pm
Can I have more info on the "some godiva or something comparable?" Do you take a chunk of chocolate and stick it in the middle of the mix for each one?

How necessary is the extra sugar?

mominisrael2

Post Sat, Oct 10 2009, 12:24 pm
Here's my recipe:

1 bag chocolate chips
3/4 c. margarine
4 eggs
2 tbsp. sugar

Melt chocolate chips and margarine in the microwave 2 minutes or until melted and stir until smooth. In another bowl whip eggs and sugar together until tripled in volume, 6-7 minutes. Fold egg mixture into chocolate and divide among 8 buttered ramekins. Bake at 350F for 17 minutes.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 11 2009, 8:22 pm
Ashrei wrote:
Can I have more info on the "some godiva or something comparable?" Do you take a chunk of chocolate and stick it in the middle of the mix for each one?

How necessary is the extra sugar?

Instead of the Godiva I use a square of good quality pareve chocolate (like rosmarie) or if I don't have I just stick in a few choc chips.

I've never tried to leave out the sugar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins