Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Slurpees from 7-11
1  2  Next

youngmom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 9:45 pm
Does anyone have reliable information about the Kashrus of slurpees?

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:03 pm
I'm pretty sure that on the CRC there is a list of kosher slurpees.
Thats the Chicago Rabbinical Council and they are a very good reliable hechsher.

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:05 pm
at the 711's I go to the teuda is right in front of the machines, they have highlighted the flavors that are kosher.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:07 pm
But not the machines! maybe the flavors are kosher but not the machines.

I do not think kosher people really make use of these 711.

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:08 pm
are you joking sarag, the monsey 711 as well as the ones in brooklyn, are packed with kids getting thier fri afternoon treat!

realeez

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:30 pm
Check out the CRCs website for all the info you'd need.

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:45 pm
CRC Kosher Slurpee List and an article addressing the halachic issues involved in buying a slurpee from an unsupervised store, the summary of which is "Consequently, the cRc can safely and confidently announce that there are no problems with the Slurpee machines." THere are other issues addressed in the article, but read it for yourself.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 10:58 pm
SaraG wrote:
But not the machines! maybe the flavors are kosher but not the machines.

Definitely check out the CRC's website, but just to quickly answer this, the machines are cold so even if there's non-kosher (or non-cholov yisroel, for those for whom it's relevant) in the machines, it doesn't matter because of the cold issue, and because nothing sits in there for 24 hours.

SaraG wrote:

This is 100% untrue. Tongue Out

Milk Munch

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:03 pm
Quote:
SaraG wrote:

Well, now we know you obviously live somewhere where you can get cholov yisroel ice cream!!!

youngmom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:30 pm
thank you so much for your help! it is unbelievable how everyone is so ready to help. I really appreciate it!

youngmom

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 11:31 pm
and sarag, I know many ppl in crown heights who buy slurpees... especially in the summer when they're in camp or in the country.

realeez

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 7:20 am
Tip though - if you live in a frum area, don't go at 4 pm when the camps have just finished getting slurpees and they are watery!

amother

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 9:13 am
The list of kosher slurpees from the star-k can be found here: http://www.star-k.org/cons-appr-slurpee.htm

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 10:12 am
I am from the South and one year I takeh got the Kosher slurpee list. With it n hand, we went from 7-11 to 7-11 to find the kosher flavors while visiting my family.

When we got back to NYC, a coworker from monsey said that people don't really do that and did I ask the rov.

that he also has the list, would love to have a treat like that, but that there are var. kashruth problems involved with it.

yes, I h ave a kosher place near me that I can get a slurpee type drink. baruch hashem.

it would have been nice to have done it out of town, too. with no regrets.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 10:16 am
SaraG wrote:

When we got back to NYC, a coworker from monsey said that people don't really do that and did I ask the rov.

Hmm - seems that there are a lot of us here who aren't 'people' then! I'm sorry your rav didn't agree, but many do allow Slurpees 'guilt free'.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 10:31 am
Yes, I noticed.

Does anyone remember years back, the Jewish Homemaker listed kosher Burger KIng shake flavors? People then called yom velaylah if they could go into B.K. and order shakes.

They came off the list so fast.................

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 11:40 am
I assume that post was not meant to equate Slurpees with (l'havdil!!) Burger King shakes.

:-D

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 12:40 pm
well, if a slurpee is a cold drink from a machine with flavors, what is a shake?

a cold milk drink from a cold machine with flavors!

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 12:57 pm
There are mareis ayin issues with entering Burger King; there is no such issue at 7-11.

realeez

Post Mon, May 01 2006, 1:11 pm
chavamom wrote:
SaraG wrote:

Hmm - seems that there are a lot of us here who aren't 'people' then! I'm sorry your rav didn't agree, but many do allow Slurpees 'guilt free'.

Yikes! What are we then?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen