Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Every Shabbos, a "casualty"
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shanie5

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 12:06 am
I have a lady who ordes a small (3x5 tin) potato kugel w/o any spices. I usually prep the kugel, pour out for her and then spice the rest of the mixture. every now and then I forget to add the spices.....oy vey. Confused
BH though, I usually do not have mess ups - and for the stuff that I sell Wink .

Crayon210

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 12:12 am
You sell food?

tzivi

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 12:23 am
Maybe try an electric hotplate instead of a bleche on the fire. I personally find that it distributes the heat much more evenly and therefore reduces the risk of burning.

chen

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 10:08 am
ektsm wrote:
I think you have messups when you are distracted. If I have too much on my mind then I just neglect the effort and time I need to make food properly. For example I will burn the onions before I put the stir fry veg's in. It's important to think clearly when you are cooking for such a special time.

Absolutely. There are certain dishes that I attempt only if I have a big block of time home alone with no distractions, because they will be ruined otherwise. Most of my recipes are very forgiving, otherwise I don't keep them.

In any case, keeping food on a blech, esp. with a gas flame, is an iffy proposition at any time. the gas can unexpectedly flare up--or blow out--and it's very hard to judge how close to the flame is too close.

shanie5

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 2:49 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
You sell food?

yep- im the only kosher take out/caterer here.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 2:52 pm
I only use a blech for yomtov, and only if I want to serve soup, basically. Or do cooking, like Pesach time.

I prefer to use an oven on a timer to heat things up. No fuss, no muss.

Crayon210

Post Wed, May 03 2006, 5:49 pm
Shanie5-that's so cool!

Motek

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 5:44 pm
Sarag didn't ask whether you goof once in a while, and I didn't say I never had a kitchen mishap. I answered her question and the answer is:

No, it does not happen that I mess up EVERY SINGLE SHABBOS.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 5:46 pm
How come no one's mentioned davenning that everything should succeed? Maybe that's some people's "missing ingredient"? We need siyata dishmaya in everything we do.

Motek

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 5:49 pm
nice point! and some women put tzedaka in the pushka as they cook

Mommy912

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 6:18 pm
I like to turn on a CD of shabboss music while I cook. It keeps me in a better mood and I find it easier to keep an eye on all the things at once when I am calm and relaxed.
Sometimes I look around the kitchen and I realize that I am cooking 6 things at once - anybody else like that? Or do you do 1 thing from start to finish and then move on? For instance I will do all of the foods that need fried onions at the same time - I can have 3 frying pans on the stove. Or all the things that need to be cooked in water: like fish, potatoes, noodles.

chen

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:21 pm
If I had a six-burner stove I'd be cooking 6 things at once, but as I have only a 4-burner model, 4 is the best I can do. (Though I can be prepping ingredients for a fifth dish while the 4 simmer away.) How is it possible to do just one thing at a time start to finish--it'd take forever to prepare an entire shabbos meal!

queen

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:31 pm
Mommy912 wrote:
I can have 3 frying pans on the stove

why don't you fry all your onions in ONE pan & then add them to their respective dishes?

Mommy912

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:40 pm
Because one goes with mushrooms for the potato knish, one is plain onions for the zucchini, one is with meat for the main dish...

queen

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:42 pm
Very Happy

yum.... can you send samples to the palace????

Mommy912

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:43 pm
why, are your servants on strike? Are they immigrants?

Milk Munch

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:56 pm
Quote:

LOL

The one "blooper" we remember most is the time I was trying to duplicate some stuffed zuchini I had somewhere. I had all these dried herbs in my cabinet from my mother in law and none of them were labled. I sniffed one of them and they smelled really good so I decided to put them into the rice mixture. As it baked it smelled wonderful. When we tasted it it was gross. I showed my husband what I put in and it turns out it was lavender....
(I guess I was supposed to put it in my sock drawer or bathroom)

B"H there were no guests but I learned my lesson about using "mystery herbs".

BlumaG

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 9:12 pm
thats so funny aobut the lavender
when I was newly married my brother got engaged ands he stayed with us and his kalla came for friday night, I warmed up mushroom sauce in the microwave right b4 shabobs meaning to leave it there to keep warm, DH then said I cant take it out bc the light turns on, I was really irritated bc I made it especially for DH and brother, well after shabbos I opeend the microwave and the light doesnt turn on Confused
a few wks ago my FIL left the rotisiree chicken on the grill so MIL and I ran out right b4 candle lighting broughti t in but cudn't get it off the stick right then, it was v crispy chicken, we also forgot to boil eggs for egg salad and frogot to put on the hot water, it was the shabbos b4 pesach and our minds were elsewherei think Rolling Eyes

queen

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 9:23 pm
Mommy912 wrote:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL that was funny 912! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

DefyGravity

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 9:57 pm
queen wrote:
Mommy912 wrote:
I can have 3 frying pans on the stove

why don't you fry all your onions in ONE pan & then add them to their respective dishes?

That's what I do, I'll dice several onions, because I use sauteed onions in almost everything I make, and it cuts down on a lot of time when it's all fried at once. I also add extra sweet potatoes to the soup and use them for sweet potato pie, instead of boiling more potatoes in an extra pot.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen