Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Every Shabbos, a "casualty"
Previous  1  2  3

shanie5

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 10:34 pm
the first time I made shabbos as a married woman, I had no idea that the oven was not calibrated properly. the cake was liquid on the inside and burnt on the outside. the roast was very well done on the outside and practically raw on the inside.

after I bought an oven thermometer, I found out that the 350 setting was more like 500 degrees! I learned to cook on the "keep warm" setting only!

I also called my mom "how do you make chicken soup?", then went to the store, bought the ingredients, prepared it, and called my mom and asked "how do you make....", went to the store, bough the ingredients etc.......

now I run out of room on the stove and have three racks in my oven, and often have no extra room in it.

chen

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 10:48 pm
shanie5 wrote:

I also called my mom "how do you make chicken soup?", then went to the store, bought the ingredients, prepared it, and called my mom and asked "how do you make....", went to the store, bough the ingredients etc.......

OMG, I had a friend who did that! she actually knew what went into soup, from seeing her mother prepare, but had no idea what to do with the ingredients once she collected them. Except her mom lived 1500 miles away and this was long before cell phones and calling plans with unlimited minutes. you paid for every call, through the nose--and the further away it was, the more it cost. . it was a VERY expensive soup!

Milk Munch

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 1:22 pm
Quote:
I also add extra sweet potatoes to the soup and use them for sweet potato pie, instead of boiling more potatoes in an extra pot.

You should try baking them instead. They come out much better than boiled.

batya_d

Post Sun, May 07 2006, 8:14 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
I use the blech every saturday, and the food NEVER dries out.
I always put a foil pan on the blech, and then place the food on that. If I would put the food directly on the blech, it would definitely dry out.

Interesting, I wouldn't think the food would get hot enough if it's placed on top of a pan like that, I'll have to try it out because kugels do get dry!

The past few weeks have been full of cholent mishaps for me-- last week I must have put in too much barley and too little water, and the whole thing was dried out and the meat charred to the sides of the crockpot in little nuggets. This week, I compensated with too little barley and too much water, and it was a little soupy, which I didn't mind so much, but I still am aiming to find the perfect balance....

sarahd

Post Mon, May 08 2006, 5:53 am
I use racks on the blech/plata for kugels and such, the racks that I use for cooling cakes and cookies.

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 5:53 pm
B"H that you're all talking about kitchen casualties!!
when I saw the topic I thought of myself. when I was 2, I pulled a hot water urn on top of myself on shabbos. when I was 8 or 10 I was pushing ice into a glass and it cracked- cutting my finger, on shabbos. I came down with pneumonia on shabbos. my parents asked me why I can't have my "casualities" during the week LOL.
(at least I haven't given birth on shabbos, yet... but I guess we shouldn't call births casualties)

realeez

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 7:19 pm
I know the feeling, 613!
when I was younger we always got sick on shabbos! we were lucky that we had a frum dr down the street!

tzivi

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 7:30 pm
Motek wrote:
and some women put tzedaka in the pushka as they cook

Also, how about saying "L'Kovod Shabbos Kodesh."

cindy324

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:08 pm
A bit of advice while we're on the subject!

Don't talk on the phone and try to make zucchini kugel at the same time!

I was talking to my friend today and I put the whole mixture in the oven when I started wondering ehy there are 2 eggs on my counter? Yep, you guessed it, left out the eggs, luckily I noticed in time, took out the kugel and mixed in the eggs.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 9:25 pm
you know what my biggest problem is? repation of food, I get so bored cooking the same thing everyother week, or everyweek. I dont like chulent that much, I get bored of dafina, I dont like chicken, I dont know I just want something new. but aside from that I never have any problems the food always comes out good and the blech is fine the food is always warm. but I need new recipes for salads, side dishes, etc etc.
btw, whoever lives in brooklyn, if you have ever gone to eat at sunflower or amazon cafe did you ever try their lemonade with mint? if anyone has does someone have a recipe for that?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen