Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken/turkey cholent?

sarahd

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:26 pm
My Shabbos guest this week is not allowed to eat beef. I guess I'll have to make a chicken or turkey cholent, little as I want to. What part of the fowl does one use for this sort of cholent. Alternatively, does anyone have a nice recipe for parve cholent that tastes at least somewhat fleishig?

cookielady

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:28 pm
I like to use the dark meat. I find it's really good with brown rice, onions, garlic. I am guessing you also can't put a lot of salt in. A vegetable kishke will also pick up the chicken flavor nicely.

Kasha is another good option with chicken in cholent.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:30 pm
Cholent with thighs is our favorite !!!!

wanderer

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 4:24 pm
Turkey necks taste great in cholent.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 5:15 pm
Another vote for chicken thighs. But to be honest we sometimes use all of chicken cut in 1/8th.
More moroccan style with wheat berries, cinnamon/allspice, LOTS of paprika, LOTS of sauteed onions, with chickpeas.

For parve cholent, I find adding vegetarian burgers (not made from potatos or legumes but from texturised vegetarian protein, like tivali's) adds meaty flavour. I add them frozen on top before the pot go on plata.

ABC

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 12:10 pm
I want to make a cholent with a whole chicken.
any suggestions what to add to make sure it isn't dry and that it's tasty?

ETA: I'm looking for a recipe that's still with the usual beans barley etc, rather than rice.

Last edited by ABC on Thu, Nov 05 2009, 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

newToNeighborhood

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 12:30 pm
cookielady wrote:
I like to use the dark meat. I find it's really good with brown rice, onions, garlic. I am guessing you also can't put a lot of salt in. A vegetable kishke will also pick up the chicken flavor nicely.

Kasha is another good option with chicken in cholent.

This sounds yummy! Do you have more of a formal recipe for it? Like how much rice, water, chicken do you use? What spices? Do you leave this on low from Friday morning until Shabbos lunch?

louche

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 12:47 pm
I make all my cholents exactly the same way whether I'm using beef cubes, beef bones, chop meat, chicken, chicken bones, pupicks or no animal products at all. BTW I don't recommend chicken bones b/c they fall apart and you have a bazillion little bones in the cholent, making it almost as complicated to eat as a whole smoked whitefish.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 12:55 pm
I think a whole chicken would be a real mess to serve.

louche

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 12:58 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I think a whole chicken would be a real mess to serve.

I bet you're right. After cooking for so long, it'll likely fall apart as soon as it's touched and be that same mess of a bazillion bones. (which are delicious, btw, but still a mess and hard to eat politely.)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 1:41 pm
sarahd wrote:
My Shabbos guest this week is not allowed to eat beef. I guess I'll have to make a chicken or turkey cholent, little as I want to. What part of the fowl does one use for this sort of cholent. Alternatively, does anyone have a nice recipe for parve cholent that tastes at least somewhat fleishig?

Can you get a hold of dark chicken cutlets (boneless skinless chicken bottoms?) Chicken bottoms taste good in the chulent, but the bones get very soft and sometimes you can get a mouthful of them. So boneless is a great option. (You can bone it and skin it yourself too.)

This is a great chulent recipe that doesn't taste Parve at all.

1 cup lentils
1 cup chulent beans (I like using half red kidney beans and half white navy beans)
1/2 cup barley
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 carrots, cut into chunks
2 Tbsp Kosher salt (use less if using regular salt)
7 cups water

Heat soak the beans. Rinse and drain. (Place beans in very large pot. Cover beans with water. Bring to a boil, covered. Turn off heat. Leave covered one hour. Rinse and drain.)
Combine all ingredients together. Put into crockpot on LOW setting for 24 hours. (Don't overcook it.) I crave this sometimes during the week.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Nov 15 2009, 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

ABC

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 1:52 pm
still wanting advice of how to make my whole chicken cholent taste good Sad
don't have boneless bottoms this week so will have to put up with messy bones.
any other advice out there?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 1:53 pm
ABC wrote:
Do you know how to remove the bones easily from the chicken? There's a method.

ABC

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 3:37 pm
no I don't know how and sounds much too fiddly

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 7:49 pm
sorry the only cholent I know with the whole chicken is the one with rice (tebeet). It does get soft, meat fall of the bones easily but not messy to serve at all.

louche

Post Thu, Nov 05 2009, 10:51 pm
ABC wrote:

This week's cholent secret weapon is...BBQ Sauce! The commercial kind, preferably the extra zesty smoky grilly flavor whatever your brand calls it. Not a whole lot, which will make the cholent too sweet, just a fwerpth or two. A fwerpth, also called a blorbick, is the volume you get when you squeeze the bottle till it makes a rather rude sound like "fwerpth" or "blorbick".

mandksima

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 1:25 am
louche wrote:
ABC wrote:

This week's cholent secret weapon is...BBQ Sauce! The commercial kind, preferably the extra zesty smoky grilly flavor whatever your brand calls it. Not a whole lot, which will make the cholent too sweet, just a fwerpth or two. A fwerpth, also called a blorbick, is the volume you get when you squeeze the bottle till it makes a rather rude sound like "fwerpth" or "blorbick".

Now, how exactly does that differ from the term I am familiar with, the "squirt"? And doesn't an emptier bottle make a quicker fwerpth/blorbick?

louche

Post Fri, Nov 06 2009, 3:11 am
Come now, everyone knows a "squirt" is an annoying little kid, like a twerp except younger.

fruitbasket

Post Mon, Nov 09 2009, 9:41 pm
try: turkey necks, or chunks
chicken wings, chicken neck, "pipiklech"
all these add a great flavor, and taste good too! (other than the pipik which I don't like)

dilego

Post Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:47 pm
I make my cholent with chicken wings or whatever,red sweet wine browned onions,a squirt of ketchup,paprika, garlic,salt beans and barley.I have a friend in zh who makes delicious parve chulent,I'm sure she doesn't mind I tell u who she is so if u r interested let me know
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey