Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ARGH!!!! MUMPS HAVE TAKEN OVER OUR TOWN!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

tissues

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:36 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Reviving an old thread here because I just read this: Mumps Outbreak Traced to Chevrusa Learning.

The CDC checked into over 1600 mumps cases among Orthodox Jews in NY and found that 89% of the cases occurred in people who had been properly vaccinated. The article goes on to say "chavrusa study, with its prolonged, face-to-face contact," probably resulted in high exposures to the virus, and these "overcame vaccine-induced protection in individual students."

In that case, why vaccinate?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:51 pm
Because the vaccine still gives some immunity. My son's chevrusa got mumps but my son did not.

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 9:53 pm
Read the comments on the link, most people say it is baloney, and to me it sounds like it is...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Nov 05 2012, 10:11 am
The people I spoke to about this last week tell me that chavrusas don't learn face to face many times, but rather next to each other, not breathing in the same air.
And the person it started with was 11 -- how much face to face learning was he doing?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 06 2012, 8:35 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Because the vaccine still gives some immunity. My son's chevrusa got mumps but my son did not.

My siblings are not vaccinated. Two of them got it, while two other ones did not. You can't necessarily credit the vaccine.

I am not vaccinated, my ds isn't either. I got the mumps while my ds who slept in the same bed as me did not. Again, no credit to vaccine. There are clearly many other factors involved.

chavamom

Post Thu, Nov 22 2012, 7:16 pm
Chavrusa study? Right. B/c non-Jews don't spend time face to face with one another?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics