Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Persian food, anyone?

shayna82

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 11:05 pm
anyone have any good persian recipes/ideas for me?

im organizing a talent show for right around purim, and the perfect theme would be persian food.

any ideas?

klotzkashe

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 11:17 pm
Kofta - which is basically semolina type dough filled with meat and cooked in a stew served with couscous...IT IS YUM!
You can try other mediterranean style foods like pita/falafel..even though it's not soooo Persian.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 12:06 am
Choresh (it's sorta like a stew) and rice, but I doubt that would go over too well.

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 4:12 am
Rice with fruits in it is really Persian. Don't have a recipe, though.

klotzkashe

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 4:47 am
shayna I pmed u some recipes but I remembered one rice dish that my mother makes.

fry onions till transparent and then add currants or raisins, grated carrot, finely diced green peppers (optional) finely chopped fresh dill and toasted pine nuts. You should make a large quantity of this and then you mix it through cooked rice ( you should use basmati as this rice is very long grain and comes out really nice when made well.) you can also add soy sauce to the veggie mix to make it a bit more flavourful. I am terrible with quantities bc I normally just mkae this off the top of my head but I'd say that for 8 cups of cooked rice u should use

2 large onions
2 large green peppers
1 cup of raisins/currants
3/4 c pinenuts
1/2 cup fresh dill finely chopped
1 cup grated carrot
1/4 -1/2 cup soy sauce

If you try and make a few rice dishes (find some more online) you can have some really colourful ones. I remember on shlichus in texas we had this irnaian lady who would come e/ friday and make rice for shabbos she would make green rice with mint and peas, and yellow rice with saffron. I just don't know how she did it all.

elisecohen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 6:59 am
The Cookbook, The World of Jewish Cooking has recipes for the following Persian Jewish foods:
Almond paste
Beef sauce-stew
Chickpea dumplings
Crusty rice
Filled Pasta
Green meatballs
Lamb shank soup
Lamb stew
Rice confection
Rice with noodles
Rice stuffing
Roast goose
Sauteed eggplant with yogurt
Tangerine chicken

The cookbook is often available in public libraries, or I can poste if there are particular recipes you want. It also has a ton of other sephardic recipes, but these are the ones that are unique to the Persian community.

Chani

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 7:51 am
My babysitter is Iranian, and occasionally she'll send me home with a big dish of rice for dinner Very Happy

Her recipe is to cook rice with a pinch of turmeric and some dill in the water. At the same time, take a heavy skillet saute an onion. Then when the rice is done, mix it together with the onion and put back in the skillet, cover tightly and cook on high for a few minutes until the rice on the bottom is crisp. She serves it garnished with fresh tomatoes and green pepper strips. The vegetables mixed into the rice sometimes vary - carrots, black eyed peas, etc. But the basic recipe stays the same.

queen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 12:13 pm
Very Happy
my babysitter is also iranian- they are the nicest people, hands down.
btw- great idea for purim time. very original Exclamation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics