Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Is it ok to eat matzah balls in the month before Pesah?
Previous  1  2

Mommish

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 8:32 am
hmmmm, now I'm really confused. These are from a mix that's actually KLP, but we don't eat gebrokts so I guess I could save the m'balls for the last day and just put noodles in the soup this shabbos.

Raisin

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 10:14 am
Seraph wrote:
Inspired wrote:
Seraph wrote:
I probably wouldnt make matza balls, just because thats my special pesach seder food so would want to look forward to that.

Lucky you, you eat gebroks. Wink
Lol. I dont think that chassidish minhag is one my husband will be so quick to take on. His mother's famous matza balls are something he looks forward to all year. My husband also said specifically with these pesach minhagim, its all about what your family's minhag was, and there isnt really halachic reasons for it, so in which case, no reason to take on something that wasnt my family's "shtick", and in fact, these gebrokts food are specific pesach traditions in our families.

It makes me happy that most chassidim don't mish on pesach. That way I dont have to feel bad about not offering them food which I know they can't have...

we only have matza balls on the last day, and they are made from shmura matza meal - completely diffrent then my regular matza balls! (I guess israelis who don't eat gebrokts miss out on having it the last day!)

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 10:20 am
As others have said, it may be called *matzo meal* but its chametz. We eat it. In fact, we're having chicken soup with matzo balls for dinner tonight, since DS is sick.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 20 2009, 10:43 am
Seraph wrote:
Lol. I dont think that chassidish minhag is one my husband will be so quick to take on. His mother's famous matza balls are something he looks forward to all year.

Not eating gebrokts is not a chassidsiche minhag only. I know plenty of Litvishe people who keep it.

Seraph

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 3:54 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Seraph wrote:
Lol. I dont think that chassidish minhag is one my husband will be so quick to take on. His mother's famous matza balls are something he looks forward to all year.

Not eating gebrokts is not a chassidsiche minhag only. I know plenty of Litvishe people who keep it.
Ok. But its not our family's minhag. At all. In fact the opposite is true. So the only reason we'd take it on is because we're becoming chassidish and its a chassidish minhag.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 4:25 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
shalhevet cooked matzo is different because you cant be yotze the mitzva w/ it.

Not everyone holds like that. We are not the only people who don't eat kneidlach after Purim.

freidasima

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 4:26 pm
We don't eat matzo or anything made with matzo products after Purim.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 4:28 pm
Seraph wrote:
Inspired wrote:
Seraph wrote:
I probably wouldnt make matza balls, just because thats my special pesach seder food so would want to look forward to that.

Lucky you, you eat gebroks. Wink
Lol. I dont think that chassidish minhag is one my husband will be so quick to take on. His mother's famous matza balls are something he looks forward to all year. My husband also said specifically with these pesach minhagim, its all about what your family's minhag was, and there isnt really halachic reasons for it, so in which case, no reason to take on something that wasnt my family's "shtick", and in fact, these gebrokts food are specific pesach traditions in our families.

It makes me happy that most chassidim don't mish on pesach. That way I dont have to feel bad about not offering them food which I know they can't have...

There are certainly halachic reasons (which, of course, not everyone holds by) for not eating gebrokts. It is not like minhagim like not eating garlic, tomatoes, fish, chicken etc. We don't eat gebrokts as a chumra, not as a minhag.

Seraph

Post Sat, Mar 21 2009, 4:39 pm
True, shalhevet. But, my kallah teacher said "Your husband decides on the chumros in the home." I'm not going to decide that we're keeping this chumra at my husband's expense.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics