Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Educational Toys
Previous  1  2  3

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 3:49 pm
Battery operated toys means I need to change the batteries. I hate that. So I try to get none battery toys and age appropriate toys.

Rivka

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 4:17 pm
I like having both, battery operated toys coz they make music when he does the stuff and also toys that make no noise. He climbs on the desk where the computer is points to things on the screen and chats to my siblings online(on my lap coz he has put computer on standby and I don't know how and changed settings) he also likes to use the phone and add names and numbers to my mobile. Oh he used to have a phase of pressing reset and laughed everytime it started up again so I had it disconnected, now he likes to put CDs into the CD drive.
I don't see why educational games on the computer are bad, I think it is important for kids to learn computers now at a young age coz we use them for everything and it is a skill they need to learn with the industry gearing towards it and especially when looking for a job when older.
The school I am going to send my son to, they even have a computer in the nursery class coz the kids have a computer lesson every week and they just make a picture but it gets them used to it.

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 6:43 pm
Quote:
The school I am going to send my son to, they even have a computer in the nursery class coz the kids have a computer lesson every week and they just make a picture but it gets them used to it.

that's just to impress the parents

I don't think it is beneficial for the children

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 6:50 pm
I taught pre-school and saw benefits using them

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 7:09 pm
please tell us about it

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 7:31 pm
I used some of the educational programs like abcs, numbers, colors, etc... as an additional source to what I was doing in the classroom. It only added to what I was teaching. I had a color program that the computer asked them to click on a certain color, and than they had to click the mouse on it. It was just an additional thing to add to my lessons. Also numbers, I had a counting program. The kids loved it! Lots of great things out there. It shouldn't be the primary source of education, but its a great additional resource.

Also one of my students had a hard time with holding pens, pencils, and crayons in his hands. He was able to build up the muscles in his wrist (these are the muscles which allow us to hold up these objects properly) by playing with the mouse. This was in addition to other activities to help build those muscles.

Sara

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 10:18 pm
Zun
Quote:
I taught pre-school and saw benefits using them

So did I. And it is just to impress parents!!!!!!!!
There was nonething on there that I didn't teach!!!!!

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 10:31 pm
not saying I didn't teach it either, but it was a great supplimental thing to have. I was able to use it to back up what I was doing. When I did colors I always had the program on the computer... not something else (example).

sara

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 1:10 pm
Quote:
but it was a great supplimental thing to have. I was able to use it to back up what I was doing. When I did colors I always had the program on the computer

And would be more exciting then when a teacher taught. It is like a competition and for sure the computer will win, however much a great teacher one is.
This is something both children that age and teachers do not need !!!

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 1:22 pm
I bought Mr Potato Head on Friday, and it is a great toy!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 1:24 pm
Atchually Mr Potatoe Head is also one of my favorites too embarrassed

Motek

Post Mon, Dec 20 2004, 1:52 pm
[quote="freilich] It is like a competition and for sure the computer will win, however much a great teacher one is.
This is something both children that age and teachers do not need !!![/quote]

I'm not so sure about that, because I think that beyond all else, children of all ages want human contact

I think we should be concerned about a new method of learning, one that is completely different than anything the world has used before, which hasn't proven the tests of time

here's a book which raises some serious concerns about computers for kids:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.....lance

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 10:13 pm
how about a corn popper "vacuum"?

every night when I vacuum Mendel runs to get his vacuum, and "helps me out." wherever I go, he goes too... ch"v I should say that he is in the way! he gets so into it, I would hate to disappoint him...
I am training him to clean! how's that for educational?

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 10:22 pm
RG
Beautifull! I have a tots snow shoveler for my two yr old so she helps the boys shovel the mounds of snow we have here. I also have a toy broom and shovel and yes she always gets in the way whilst I sweep, but I love it Smile

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 8:34 am
RG, you know they have a toy vacuum cleaner for little ones that actually works. my in laws have it, it is really cute.!!

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 23 2004, 9:12 am
thanx, ive seen those.
im trying to take a break from buying him toys. everytime I go shopping recently I buy him a toy, and its getting ridiculous.
theres lots more imagination in the corn popper, too. I still havent figured out why they call it a vaccuum, but if thats what the kids think it is, I have no problem with it...
im going thru all the toys anyway, and putting away the ones he doesnt play with. that way clean-up will be easier, and he does clean up most of the toys by himself! Very Happy
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics