Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Jewish Diseases Make Jews Smarter?

jupik

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:46 am
By Karen Kaplan for the Tribune Newspapers

The question had been gnawing at Gregory Cochran for years: Why are European Jews prone to so many deadly genetic diseases?

Natural selection, the self-taught genetics buff knew, should flush dangerous DNA from the gene pool. Could the mutations causing these diseases have some benefit?

After a long night of research in his Albuquerque office, it hit him: Those “bad” genes make Jews smarter.

That provocative - some would say inflammatory - hypothesis has landed Cochran and collaborator Henry Harpending, University of Utah professor of anthropology, in a charged debate about IQ and DNA. Their book describing the theory, The 10,000 Year Explosion, came out in February.

The Ashkenazi diseases include Tay-Sachs, a neurological disorder that debilitates children and usually kills them by age 4; and Canavan disease, which turns the brain into spongy tissue and typically claims its victims by age 5.

Many Jewish diseases involve problems with fat molecules called sphingolipids that transmit nerve signals. Of our more than 20,000 genes, only 108 are known to be involved in sphingolipid metabolism. Cochran calculated the odds of Ashkenazi Jews having four sphingolipid storage disorders by random chance are less than 1 in 100,000.

Cochran and Harpending came to believe that this was an example of heterozygote advantage - where having two copies of a mutated gene can mean disaster but one copy is helpful.

The most famous example of this is sickle cell anemia, which strikes people of African descent who have two defective copies of the hemoglobin B gene. As a result, they make red blood cells that are too curvy to carry oxygen to critical organs.

People who have only one bad copy make useful red blood cells that are deformed just enough to protect them from the malaria parasite, insulating them against the disease.

Instead of sickle cell anemia, Ashkenazi Jews had to contend with diseases like Tay-Sachs. Instead of malaria resistance, the pair reasoned, Jews got an IQ boost.

Some scientists say the theory is unworthy of consideration.

“What are their theories about those on the opposite end of the spectrum?” said Neil Risch, director of the Institute for Human Genetics at UC San Francisco. “Do they have genetic theories about why Latinos and African Americans perform worse academically?” But Cochran, 55, and Harpending, 65, say there's no question Ashkenazi Jews have an abundance of brain power.

Researchers have pegged their average IQ at between 107.5 and 115. That's only modestly higher than the European average of 100, but statistically, it's enough to boost the number of geniuses nearly six-fold.

shosh

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:52 am
Well, my recently discovered cousins, direct descendants from my grandmother's sis, through an entirely female line, told me that several of the family are "gifted," and they say that the brains must have all come from the "Jewish side" of the family ....

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:52 am
I heard a lecture by the Head of Genetics at a major hospital, and he said this theory doesn't work at all, and has been debunked.

cassandra

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 8:54 am
Clarissa wrote:
I heard a lecture by the Head of Genetics at a major hospital, and he said this theory doesn't work at all, and has been debunked.

I still like it though.

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 9:19 am
cassandra wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

I still like it though.
Hey, so do I, especially since I have a kid with a Jewish genetic disorder. But he specializes in Jewish genetic disorders, and knocked it down fairly easily.

cassandra

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 9:53 am
Let me guess: he doesn't believe in the widespread use of lobotomies and leeches either Rolling Eyes

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 10:34 am
cassandra wrote:
Let me guess: he doesn't believe in the widespread use of lobotomies and leeches either Rolling Eyes
No, but he told me that if I made a dozen flan (flans?) it might cure my son. I'm up to flan #7, I'll let you know how it works.

By the way, I'll thank you not to insult people with lobotomies. I'm doing fine since mine. As far as leeches, I'm assuming you mean half-friends who send me half-invitations to the wedding but not the reception?

marina

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 2:20 pm
Gosh, what about those Asians who have high IQs. Wonder what diseases they all have.

Clarissa

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 2:25 pm
marina wrote:
Gosh, what about those Asians who have high IQs. Wonder what diseases they all have.
The same disease we used to have. That one that makes you have an unquenchable thirst to learn about everything -- science, literature, math, art, psychology, philosophy, etc., and parents who encourage them to do so, so that the next generation can be more successful than the previous one.

cassandra

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 2:38 pm
marina wrote:

Did you read Outliers? It's all about the rice paddies.

marina

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 2:41 pm
Clarissa wrote:
marina wrote:
The same disease we used to have. That one that makes you have an unquenchable thirst to learn about everything -- science, literature, math, art, psychology, philosophy, etc., and parents who encourage them to do so, so that the next generation can be more successful than the previous one.

Seems that I know quite a few people of every religious affiliation who have been spared this illness.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics