Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Need recommendations for toilet training books/techniques

anon

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 11:02 am
I'd like to "officially" start toilet training 2yo DS. It feels like an emergency, because he keeps having recurrent horrific diaper rashes and I just can't take it anymore.

But I need tons of help, I have NO CLUE what to do. Something tells me this will turn into a power struggle that I'll lose. Are there any excellent books/methods out there to help a clueless mother like myself?!

anon

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:17 pm
OK, no responses. Now let me ask this:

How did you learn how to toilet train? I can't imagine that I'm the only nincumpoop who feels completely incapable of dealing with this milestone without clear, reliable guidance.

Also, I imagine that appropriate methods will differ based on the developmental age, gender, and temperament of the child. So I should mention that I'm trying to train a 2-3 year old male who insists on doing everything by himself and is past the age of being eager to please.

Help! We've endured one horrific diaper rash too many!

cassandra

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:24 pm
My kids weren't really trainable. I had to wait until they wanted it themselves. But my kids are very opinionated and stubborn.

anon

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:33 pm
cassandra wrote:
My kids weren't really trainable. I had to wait until they wanted it themselves. But my kids are very opinionated and stubborn.

I really see my son being that way. I'm sure there's a method out there that's right for him, but it may be difficult to figure it out.

When did your children want it themselves?

My aunt told me that her 2+ son told her that he'll use the toilet when he's three. And true to his word, he toilet trained himself when he turned 3 LOL

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:34 pm
The most important thing is that YOU need to be ready to toilet train, and of couse, your child has to be physically ready as well.
You need to put aside a few days where you will stay in the house with your son, and sit near him while he sits on the potty, and have your son walk around in a t-shirt only.
Use potty at the beginning, no matter how gross you think it is. It's a great transitioning/starter tool.
Buy lots of sugary drinks that you know your son will love.
Buy a huge bag full of cheap prizes.
The first day, made sure he drinks and drinks, so that he will have to keep peeing. The more he has to pee on those first few days, the more of a chance you have at teaching him what the proper thing to do is, and engraining it.
I bought these 2 books (I think they come in boy versions), read them to dd, and played out the potty thing with dd's teddy bear, and a plastic toy potty that my MIL gave me.
http://www.amazon.com/Potty-Me.....r=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Girl.....r=1-7
A suggestion for potty training boys (from my SIL), is to teach them how to pee sitting down. Otherwise it can be very confusing to them (sit to poo, stand to pee). Your son will learn to pee standing up once he goes to Cheder, I can guarantee that Smile

Another thing, if you see that it's not working and that you are both just way too frustrated, then let it go and don't mention it again for a few months. Don't push it if he is resisting.

Hatzlacha Rabba!

cassandra

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:35 pm
anon wrote:

My aunt told me that her 2+ son told her that he'll use the toilet when he's three. And true to his word, he toilet trained himself when he turned 3 LOL

My son did that too. At 3 and 1 month he said it's time to use the potty and never had one accident. He does that with other things also-- like he told me he's going to stop sucking his thumb when he's seven. I believe him so I don't push him.

anon

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:37 pm
Thanks ra-mom!

anon

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 9:43 pm
cassandra wrote:
anon wrote:

My son did that too. At 3 and 1 month he said it's time to use the potty and never had one accident. He does that with other things also-- like he told me he's going to stop sucking his thumb when he's seven. I believe him so I don't push him.

One of the reasons I'd like him to start nursery in September is because I feel like it's the only way he'll want to do it on his own...and if he doesn't want to do it, I'm pretty certain it will be a frustrating ongoing process.

Good luck with the thumb-sucking Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training