Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Would you advertise....?

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:39 pm
I am so fed up with the advertising opportunities in Flatbush. Of the current newsletters (Torah Times, Link, 20's & 30's) you get to pay hundreds of dollars to get a decent ad, and even then, you are one of 300 pages and no one gets to see it.

I am thinking of starting my own such "torah times" with REASONABLE ADVERTISING RATES! Say $25 for 1/4 page weekly (as opposed to $75 that 20's & 30's charges bi weekly, or $140 that Torah Times charges weekly for the same 1/4 page size!)

Small businesses (like myself) are getting killed, because we simply cannot afford these ridiculous rates, and have no other advertising options.

Would you do it? If it was sufficiently distributed (and I'm talking about being put at every door, not just at the corners) would you advertise in it? Or is everyone ok with being ripped off?

Flowerpot

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:45 pm
YES I sure will give it a chance if its $25 & if I would get nice results I would stick w/ it.

sounds very good.
you can count on me.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:47 pm
There is someone in willi that started off really small.
Today he is BIG!!

Good Luck.

As long as you offer cheaper rates, why wouldn't others advertise with you??

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:

As long as you offer cheaper rates, why wouldn't others advertise with you??

I'm wondering if Flatbush is too overrun with these types of things. From a shopper's point of view, its getting to be a bit much, when you walk into the pizza store and see stacks of 10 different newsletters staring you in the face.

Flowerpot

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:53 pm
maybe you can change the look by doing something narrow like the size of half page of something to strike out.

sunspot

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:00 pm
the reason why it cost money is that is the only way they can offset the printing cost since the publication itself is free

$25 per ad will not get you far to offset your costs

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:04 pm
If your rates are so low, you would get so many advertisers that the ads would get lost just like in the others...

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:05 pm
webdesignermom wrote:
the reason why it cost money is that is the only way they can offset the printing cost since the publication itself is free

$25 per ad will not get you far to offset your costs

do you really think that in a 300 page torah times, with their price of $285 for a full page ad; comes to $85,000. You think thats really how much it costs them??

sunspot

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:09 pm
first of all only in peak season it is that many pages and also many pple get the 52 week discount which is a full page for 125/week

second off all this is a for profit business and they make some money off it.

the way you have in mind since to be a non for profit--if you would like to do it as a public service....

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:12 pm
webdesignermom wrote:

the way you have in mind since to be a non for profit--if you would like to do it as a public service....

honestly, the reason I want to do it is so I can have a place to advertise for myself. (I know, I know Rolling Eyes ) I dont need to make so much money off the newsletter itself.

I also need a good reason why someone should pick up my newsletter instead of the torah times.

zigi

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:24 pm
I like to read esra and mothers helper. I also really like country yossi. I like to read the articles or if it had coupons

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:26 pm
zigi wrote:
I like to read esra and mothers helper. I also really like country yossi. I like to read the articles or if it had coupons

coupons! thats a nice idea. if every advertiser had a coupon printed, would it help?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 2:14 pm
Make sure you know you printing and typesetting costs before you commit to a pricing schedule.

sunspot

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 2:16 pm
exactly what I was saying!

COOLME56

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 2:24 pm
id be happy to do the design work for you. Im a graphic designer and always looking for xtra work.

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 5:48 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Make sure you know you printing and typesetting costs before you commit to a pricing schedule.

of course I will do all the research and find out my costs before committing. the $25 I said before is obviously not set in stone, but its the idea of what I'm trying to aim for.

also, like I said before, I'd be doing this primarily so that the small businesses in the area could get their name out. Therefore, its not in my (or anybody else's) best interests to let it become 300 pages. I'd probably make a limit of how many advertisers could be in it each week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics