Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
How do I shoot this picture in the dark? HELP!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 4:45 pm
My son build a skyscraper and added lights to it. I am trying to get a quality shot of it, with the room lights closed and his mini lights on. I tried every setting on the camera (standard digital camera) but I need your guidance. I’m missing some magic trick here. Those fancy umbrellas? Help!

Boys"R"Us

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 8:44 pm
You need to put the camera on a tripod, and turn the flash off. The shutter will stay open a long time till it has enough light. Make sure not to shake the camera when you release the shutter.

Debbie

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 8:49 pm
What about ISO settings, will that do anything ?

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 9:25 pm
http://darkphotography.org/

nice building Thumbs Up

Zahava

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 9:49 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
What about ISO settings, will that do anything ?

A higher ISO will enable you to have a faster shutter speed without the need for flash, even without a tripod. The question is how high your camera will go, and how high it will give you clear images that aren't noisy or grainy.

You probably have a digital camera; experiment! Turn off the flash and up the iso a level at a time and see if you can get away without a tripod. Alternatively, if you get too much digital noise from the high ISO, lower it and place it on a level surface. Then don't press the shutter button, have it go off with a 2 sec timer (or 10, if your camera doesn't have 2) to avoid camera shake when pressing the shutter.

Would love to see your results!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2009, 9:57 pm
ok ok dh left with the camera in his car by accident and tomorrow kids leave to camp, so not before manyana night!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art