Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3 year old DD hates day camp WWYD?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 7:07 pm
My 3 year old DD seems to hate her day camp, or so I think. To make a long story short, this is a small playgroup day camp with 2 locations. I signed her up for 1 location closer to me, to be able to carpool with neighbor across the street, plus neighbors ds and my dd are friends. I also heard great things about the Morah of that specific group from my neighbor who had her son there during the year.

first week in June, Director calls and asks me if care that there are 17 boys and 3 girls- (I had asked her if there would be girls and a few months before that, she said she had 5-7 girls. Yeah I care. I dont want her with 17 boys and 2 other girls. So she gives me a choice- I could send DD to other location, further away, where she knows no one, I dont know the Morah or anyone. Or she will give me back my deposit. Lady- what am I supposed to do now? 3 weeks before the summer where am I going to put DD? So I say yes. Ill go there.
Meanwhile there are 22 kids, 2 married Morahs and 2 single girls. Today is the third day. She cries when I bring her, they told me she whimpers during the day, and shes crying when I pick her up and when I asked them if she plays with anyone, they said shes usually by herself on the side. I should mention that in the AM when I bring her there is No "Good Morning, hello, or anything". They all seem so cold. One mother told me "Dont quote me but this is a place that is clean, safe and they will take care of kids but they are not warm". Thats the problem DD needs the warmth and love. She is coming from a 12 kid playgroup with 2 incredible loving Morahs. They tell me she is the only one who wont go swimming. I dont care, but I cant say I blame her, as they fill the kiddy pools like 1/2 hour before the kids swim, so its probably freezing.

At this point, my balance of quite a few hundred dollars is not paid for as I was supposed to give it on the first day, and I have been walking around with it and since no one asked for it I didnt give it. But that is the small picture. What do I do? Do I give it more time, pull her out? Speak to the Director of the whole program who is away for the summer and left someone else in charge? Do I have to pay all the money/some of the money- Do I tell them there morahs are in my opinion cold?

Help!!!! maybe Im not thinking rationally because I am very upet- advice please?

kaye

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 7:41 pm
Can u switch her back to the closer location? Better that she's happy even if it's with a bunch of boys.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 7:44 pm
I dont know if she will be happy there. she only knows 1 boy out of 17- and I heard they are a rowdy bunch!

anonymom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 7:47 pm
It seems to me that if you can find another place that meets your and your daughter's needs you are within your rights to pull her out of this one, especially since they changed things on you.

Mommish

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:03 pm
I had a very similar situation last summer and I regret not taking my dd out. 3 is very young for camp, especially with so many kids and the uneven ratio of girls to boys. I wish I had done what was in my daughter's best interest. I was very careful this year not to have a repeat of last summer.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:05 pm
I would take her out. It doesn't sound like it's fun for her at all.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:15 pm
a 3 year old doesn't need day camp ... let alone one that is not suitable to her ... take her home and don't look back ... I don't really think you owe them any monies considering all you've noted above ...

Happy Mom

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:22 pm
Your dd sounds miserable. Crying Definitely take her out, right away. Little kids don't need to go to camp, but they do need love and warmth. If you're working and can't be the one to provide her with that, then find a place where they understand that emotional needs for connection are not only valid, but critical.

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
My 3 year old DD seems to hate her day camp, or so I think. To make a long story short, this is a small playgroup day camp with 2 locations. I signed her up for 1 location closer to me, to be able to carpool with neighbor across the street, plus neighbors ds and my dd are friends. I also heard great things about the Morah of that specific group from my neighbor who had her son there during the year.

first week in June, Director calls and asks me if care that there are 17 boys and 3 girls- (I had asked her if there would be girls and a few months before that, she said she had 5-7 girls. Yeah I care. I dont want her with 17 boys and 2 other girls. So she gives me a choice- I could send DD to other location, further away, where she knows no one, I dont know the Morah or anyone. Or she will give me back my deposit. Lady- what am I supposed to do now? 3 weeks before the summer where am I going to put DD? So I say yes. Ill go there.
Meanwhile there are 22 kids, 2 married Morahs and 2 single girls. Today is the third day. She cries when I bring her, they told me she whimpers during the day, and shes crying when I pick her up and when I asked them if she plays with anyone, they said shes usually by herself on the side. I should mention that in the AM when I bring her there is No "Good Morning, hello, or anything". They all seem so cold. One mother told me "Dont quote me but this is a place that is clean, safe and they will take care of kids but they are not warm". Thats the problem DD needs the warmth and love. She is coming from a 12 kid playgroup with 2 incredible loving Morahs. They tell me she is the only one who wont go swimming. I dont care, but I cant say I blame her, as they fill the kiddy pools like 1/2 hour before the kids swim, so its probably freezing.

At this point, my balance of quite a few hundred dollars is not paid for as I was supposed to give it on the first day, and I have been walking around with it and since no one asked for it I didnt give it. But that is the small picture. What do I do? Do I give it more time, pull her out? Speak to the Director of the whole program who is away for the summer and left someone else in charge? Do I have to pay all the money/some of the money- Do I tell them there morahs are in my opinion cold?

Help!!!! maybe Im not thinking rationally because I am very upet- advice please?

Gosh, did I write this?? I don't remember doing so!! LOL

My dd was only in for a few days and she cried when I left her. She comes home happy and it seems that she's enjoying it there. I stayed for a few extra minutes when I dropped her off so I wasn't "deserting" her.

It takes a while for her to acclimate to new places so I figured that she may need time to "warm up". She does need the socialization so camp is good for her.

The morah is friendly and helpful so I don't think it's a cold place like you have.
I have tried to introduce her to some other kids - I think she made a friend today.

If you don't think it's the right place, then certainly take her out. I would think that camps agree that the first few days are a litmis (sp?) test to see if it's the right place for a particular kid. And you can probablly find another place where another kid left and replace that spot

amother

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 7:41 am
if my child was not happy in day camp I would not send her. 22 kids is way too many for that age! and she must not like it for a reason. three is still very young why force her to go if she doesnt want to??

amother

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 7:42 am
unles you want to stay there one day the whole day and see whats going on and why she doesnt like it and see if theres anything you can do about it id take her out. 22 kids?? wow thats alot for that age!

happyone

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 7:46 am
Some children need some time to adjust to any new situation. I would give it a couple of days and then pull her out if she's still unhappy. Day camp should be exciting and fun, it's not mandatory like school, and if she's so miserable I would change day camps or keep her home.

Blair

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 8:06 am
She is only 3 is it really necessary to send her to day camp at this young age. I could understand if you where working and needed to put her somewhere. Why not take her to a pool club and spend some time with her. It seems that today people are more concerned on sending there children out at such a young age when all they really need is time with mommy.

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:08 pm
Youre her mother and I think your gut feeling tells you that she's not happy- As a mother Ive learnt to always follow your gut feeling.
If this isnt her first "babysitter" (time shes out of the house) and she's crying for more than a few days- thats bad.

I feel for your child... I think you should take her out.

Its hard to find new playgroup and my sister is busy looking for one too now...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics