Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Baths

gryp

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 8:05 pm
How often does everyone bathe their toddlers? I insist on bathing Mendel every night and people tell me im crazy for this. I dont know how healthy it is for his skin or hair either. I just have something stuck in my head that I cant put him to sleep without a bath.

what does everyone do????
please clue me in on this.

micki

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 8:08 pm
in the winter mondays and thursdays. in the summer as needed or sun wed and friday.
yes too much bathing can dry the skin. also its so cold why expose them to getting chilled after?
and when you multiplt by 4... if we did every night then thats 28 baths per week? I'd be living in the bath.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Dec 28 2004, 8:36 pm
RG - I also bathe my kids every night.

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 2:40 am
I have heard that bathing your children too often is not a good idea. Besides for drying out the skin, your child will not build up immunity against common bacteria and will be sick more often. Supposedly, the increase in allergies today is due to the fact that we live in such hygienic conditions that the body doesn't acquire immunity to allergens.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 7:50 am
as they get dirty Wink

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 9:02 am
I give my toddler a bath every two nights but if he is really filthy from a bad diaper I won't wait till the next night if that isnt bath night. My ped in south africa siad babies are not mechanics so they dont need a bath every day as it dries out their skin and their haris shoulonly be washed twice a week.

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 9:04 am
I give my kids a bath every other night.

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 9:11 am
our apartment is very warm, so I wouldnt be bringing him "out" into the cold. I wonder about this "skin drying out" thing, because our skin doesnt dry out from showering every night/morning.

sometimes (if ever) if his hair is still clean I will just wash it through with water and no shampoo. he started touching his hair while he eats though, so it rarely happens.

part of the reason I want him to have a bath every day is because I know it relaxes him and gets him ready for bed. he also loves playing in the bath, and this week started to drain it himself Rolling Eyes

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 10:09 am
yeh, I think the only reason mine gets a bath everynight (or pretty close to it) is because she LOVES it! she could stay in there for hours. I don't wash her hair everynight, though, but same as RG- she gets food in her hair all the time.

Tovah

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 11:57 am
rg its not healthy to give you child a bath more than 3 times a week says in the baby book b/c if more than your taking the oils out of their skin which keeps the moisture in.
I used to give rivki a bath evry night cause she spit up so much the 1st 5 months the smell was horrible but now b"h its better. I'd love to con. but ik don't so sunday morning tuesday night and friday morning b4 shabbos unless she smells or is really dirty.

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 12:01 pm
which baby book does it say that in?
half the stuff I read in baby books are..... Rolling Eyes

Tovah

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 12:04 pm
I know but mines like my bible lol its the one from hospital in montreal, that info is actually true b/c I asked my doctor abt it and he said every night is not good.

Yael

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 2:07 pm
I give them a bath on mon. and thurs unless they have a really messy diaper but then I dont wash the hair.
I used to give baths 3 times a week until I got fed up with it. I dont like to give baths so I cut back.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Dec 29 2004, 2:31 pm
Wow.... I thought I was a horrible mom for giving my babies baths only 2x a week. The little babies I only bath once a week. I don't like dealing with slippery babies. My MIL thought I was crazy for not bathing my son every night. Good to know I am doing the right thing. I just never asked the doctor.

Tovah

Post Thu, Dec 30 2004, 7:30 am
I love giving baths b/c then I can't move or do anything but sit right there and relax while she plays in the the tub after I wash her of course.

Post Thu, Dec 30 2004, 7:35 am
not to give you any ideas, but I sometimes DO other things while mine is in the bath- like on erev shabbos I'll cut my nails, maybe clean the bathroom a little.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 30 2004, 7:45 am
thanx, I do that too. glad to know im not the only one Very Happy

Rivka

Post Thu, Dec 30 2004, 2:07 pm
I give my son a bath every other day, I also heard it isn't good for them to have a bath every day coz it dries out their skin. Even if the house is warm, compared to the bath temprature it's cold. If my son really made a stinky nappy and it went everywhere he gets a bath that second.
In the winter though I make sure he was a bath Thursday coz I have no time to bath him Friday.
The thing is his hair gets disgusting from his food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics