Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Exercise machines

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 4:52 am
Does anyone know which machine would be most kidai to buy? DH and I need to lose major weight. 1st I thought a bike but heard it doesn't work the abs. I want something that will forsure do something for my stomache. was thinking of a rowing mach but thought maybe for that you already need to be fit. A treadmil is also an option or elliptical trainer.
Question Anyone know?

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 9:16 am
I like the treadmill. It's basically imitating walking which is best for weight loss and cardio

Frumom

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:17 am
treadmill or eliptical

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:20 am
I use a recumbant bike. But it doesn't work the upper body.

I have two shelves of exercise videos, too.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 11:29 am
I'm extremely skeptical about purchasing machines. You have to be extremely disciplined to use them.
(Not everyone is as disciplined as you, SaraG!)

For some reason, people think that purchasing a machine will be their saving grace. There's really no reason to spend lots of money on a machine that you probably won't use. Before you invest money in a pricey machine, first see if you're disciplined enough to simply walk a mile every evening. Or pick up a Shape magazine and do their weekly workouts for a month. (Or go online and find a weekly workout plan).

Most people are lazy. They use the machine as an excuse. "When I buy my eliptical, I'll start working out." People - there are TONS of easy workouts you can do (that can be better) than any machine you could buy. Purchase a few videos, they're much cheaper and will give you a much better workout. Chances are, if you buy the machine, you'll go on it for a few minutes, and once you're gasping or tired, you'll think that the workout is over. If you do a video, you'll realize that you need to push yourself!

cutiemom

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 1:15 pm
check this out:

http://www.lhj.com/lhj/categor.....s.xml

it's really good - if you are planning to work out at home, they even have a way to animate it so you get the idea of each move.

red sea

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 1:53 pm
Love the link cutie, thanx!

Defy Yes , and even if you like gym quality machines and are going to use them, the home versions don't always measure up, like my elliptical Sad

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 4:58 pm
I am also thinking of buying a machine. Its all very well to say go for a walk, but you can't go walking if your d.h is out 2-3 eves a week. I go for walks whenever I can, which I actully enjoy, but if I'm stuck at home alone, it's the perfect time to exercise.

I want to get a machine that I can do something (like read) at the same time.

any ideas?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 5:00 pm
Maybe you want to get one with internet, lol?

I have done homework with kids while on the bike, lol.

gali

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 5:27 pm

Last edited by gali on Tue, May 20 2008, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

queen

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 5:37 pm
wont work for hubbie- but why don't you try joining curves?

As long as you are careful about what you eat, and really push the machines you'll lose inches and pounds.

those machines (talking from experience) end up being an expensive clothing valet.

Very Happy

cutiemom

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 5:41 pm
go curves - I'm on my way over there now!!! Bounce

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 5:58 am
I'm in E"Y so curves won't work and anyways I work full time and dont have time to exercise outside of the house.

I think I'll go for treadmill or elliptical.
Does anyone know which brands/types are good or what prices are normal?

Frumom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 9:45 pm
If you just want a machine, nothing else, I would say elliptical is the best. Personally I love doing videos. Tae bo, aerobics, step- its fun!

imanut

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 9:30 am
we bought a treadmill after our first baby and I do use it. if you set yourself a certain time each day it will soon become part of your routine.
good luck.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 9:39 am
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
I'm in E"Y so curves won't work

just so you know, there is something like curves in israel, I do not know what it is called, but you could post something on janglo or one of those yahoo groups to find out what it is called.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 9:57 am
I also work full town, out of the house.

chen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 1:14 pm
Try borrowing a machine b4 buying to see if u really have the discipline to use it. most machines become very expensive clothes racks after the "honeymoon" period of 2-3 weeks is over.

we found an exercycle in the "recycling area" of the basement of our bldg. we took it for a while till it became clear that it was a very space-guzzling doorstop. we put it back in the basement. Over the next 6 months it showed up in the "recycling area" 4 more times!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise