Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Beet Bundt cake

sped

Post Thu, Jul 16 2009, 9:49 am
I found this really interesting recipe on line and am wondering if anyone ever tried something like this - or wants to be brave and do so. I would like to try it AFTER someone else does and says it came out good.

Ingredients
1/2 cup (120 ml) canola oil
1 1/2 cups (340 g) packed dark brown sugar
2 cups (450 g) puréed cooked (boiled or steamed) red beets (about 3 medium-size beets)
1/2 cup (90 g) nondairy semisweet chocolate chips, melted
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons (9 g) baking powder (look for aluminum-free)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5), and lightly oil a Bundt pan.

In a mixing bowl, cream together oil and brown sugar. Add beets, melted chocolate chips, and vanilla, and mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet beet mixture, and stir until just combined.

Pour into prepared Bundt pan, and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar and top with blueberries, if desired

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:22 pm
Jessica Seinfeld, wife of Jerry Seinfeld, has a cookbook aptly named "Deceptively Delicious", where that recipe appears. I own that cookbook. The premise of the entire book is to sneak nutrition into everyday foods and into treats by incorporating the use of hidden, pureed veggies and fruits.

Tell ya what! I'll make it for Shabbos, and report back! Wink

Last edited by He*Sings*To*Me on Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:24 pm
What could be bad?
It's got enough sugar to drown an army. The beets are sweet, sounds terrific!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:33 pm
I own a Magic Bullet (with differing cups for milchig, fleishigs, and parve, of course) which makes the pureeing a pleasure! I sneak in veggies and fruits into foods my crew would never otherwise touch! There's a brownie recipe with carrot and spinach puree...the flavors are NON-Detectable when the brownies are completely cooled! A mac and cheese recipe that calls for cauliflower puree. I could go on and on!

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 3:35 pm
Sounds terrific, maybe I should get one of those. Dh doesn't eat cooked veg and I would tell him in advance because I would never trick him on this, but I would try and give it to the kids and ask if he would try some, maybe it would be good for the kids. He eats tons of raw veg though.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 4:22 pm
Our men must be twins separated at birth! Mine is the same as you describe yours...I tell him only after he tries and likes something what the secret ingredient is. He has the foreknowledge there IS something, but prefers to know only after...what trust!

sped

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 1:16 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:

Tell ya what! I'll make it for Shabbos, and report back! Wink

I am awaiting your review!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 2:39 am
Here's the website: www.deceptivelydelicious.com I thought you might enjoy perusing it a bit...Bon Appetit!

mimivan

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:19 am
I would also like to try this recipe..
let us know how it turns out!

mimivan

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:34 am
you know what looks interesting about this recipe...it seems like red velvet cake but without the food coloring!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 11:11 am
DH gets paid today, so as soon as he rings me to come pick up his check to deposit it in the bank, I'm off to the market for Shabbos food and will pick up what I need for this recipe...if you click the link on my previous post, and look through the Image Gallery, you'll see the actual Chocolate cake with beet that I'll be making, and view some of the other recipes that I've tried (the brownies made with spinach puree will knock your sox off, provided that they are completely cool all the way through. If you're one of those people, like I am, who like a warm brownie or cookie straightway from the oven, you have to exercise some self-restraint, because they are yucky when still warm!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins