Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Children are bored

amother

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 7:44 pm
Is it only me?? My kids are so bored after school, they have loads of toys, but how much can they play with toys, and they watch videos, but that also is booooring after a while, I cant wait for the summer to take them to parks. Does a/o else feel this way? Is it only me? Are u all arranging playdates or s/t? How are you keeping them busy? Do u have to do all the entertaining or do they play nicely by themselves?

hisorerus

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 7:54 pm
Make cookies!
Polish silver!
Dance to music!
Art projects!

Oh, it's so easy to talk when it's not mine... Smile

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 8:25 pm
preschoolers who are bored? shock

maybe they are used to being entertained, used to having morah or mommy tell them, "Now do this, now do that" that they can't entertain themselves.

No it's not only you because many mothers fall into this trap and think children become naturally bored when they've actually MADE them bored.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 8:29 pm
Quote:
No it's not only you because many mothers fall into this trap and think children become naturally bored when they've actually MADE them bored.

Hmm never thought of that Thanks for another perspective Smile

amother

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 10:30 pm
motek, How do u train children to be bored?? I actually dont tell them do this do that...
im actually very organized that there is just lots of extra time after school, and how long can they play with their toys for??

lucky

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 10:54 pm
Growing up I did not have half the toys that my kids have and was never bored. We used our imagnation. My kids are also s/t boreed, but I say, if you r soo bored maybe you do some chores? That gets them busy very fast. LOL

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
motek, How do u train children to be bored?? I actually dont tell them do this do that...

but they ARE told to do this and that in school, right? and at what age did they start school?

I've heard mothers describe their INFANTS as bored which is inane.

you wrote that they have loads of toys - here's an idea -

put all the toys away and only give them a few toys a day, rotating them

same with books

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:

but they ARE told to do this and that in school, right? and at what age did they start school?

how old are they now?

how much time are you talking about before they go to sleep?

I've heard mothers describe their INFANTS as bored which is inane.

you wrote that they have loads of toys - here's an idea -

same with books

and get rid of the videos, maybe allow them to see it on special occasions, a few times a year

amother

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 1:29 pm
Quote:
maybe they are used to being entertained, used to having morah or mommy tell them, "Now do this, now do that" that they can't entertain themselves.

motek, I totally agree with you. as one who comes from a family parented by control-freak parents, we were never allowed to think for ourselves, and what was the top complaint of my siblings? "I'm bored" and here's how the conv would go:
mom "how about doing this?"
kids "NO!"
mom "how about that?"
kids:"NO!"
mom "Fine - so dont ask me what to do!!".

why does it work this way? because kids who are unable to think for themselves since they are always being told what to do, dont have room for their imaginations, and are also afraid to think because they may get yelled at.

perhaps I'm not explaining it well, but it is true.

jewgal84

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 1:33 pm
Quote:

same with books

and get rid of the videos, maybe allow them to see it on special occasions, a few times a year

Totally agree with you on all the above!!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 2:53 pm
We also did the rotation thing with toys and books.

The kids had friends over a lot and vice versa....we baked, did a lot of crafts, and took naps.

I took them out a lot....

Of course, I was always a working mother so it wasn't so bad for us, we weren't home that much...

ektsm

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 8:31 pm
let them cut up old newspapers, decorate tissue boxes, ride there bikes...etc. there are al ot of funt higns they cando

amother

Post Sat, Mar 11 2006, 8:45 pm
Quote:
Of course, I was always a working mother so it wasn't so bad for us, we weren't home that much...

are u trying to say its good to work when u have little children at home?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers