Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Schach for sukka

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 7:08 am
What types of things are you allowed to use for schach for a sukka?
Are you allowed to use any types of vegetation, or are you only allowed to use bamboo or palm branches?

hila

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 7:17 am
You can use any branches or greenery, as long as it has been cut off before placing on top of the sukka. ( So you could not use climbing greenery that had already climbed on to a pergola, uness you cut it off from the ground, lift it off your pergola and put it on again)

BUT it must cover most of the area (more shade than light) and that is usually fine at the start of chag. But as the leaves dry out, it may become a problem. That is why people like to use palm branches, which still cover well when dry.

Also make sure that you are not using somethign tha attreacts bugs or animals. (My dh had one sukka that the schach was eaten by deer in his Chicago suburb days) . I guess bamboo where are pandas wwould be a no no Smile .

I think people use the schach lanetsach as a convenience. Less mess, and it is always halachically ok.

sped

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 7:22 am
IIRC. the schach could not have been cut or meant for another purpose. It doesn't need to be meant for schach, but you can't use woven mats that are meant for use as mats as schach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions