Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How do they check a baby's vision?

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:34 pm
I have only taken my school age kids for annual vision testing so I know they check with the chart, numbers, abc, etc.

What about an infant? I want to have my 9 months old’s eyesight checked. When she wants to look to the side, she bends over, bends her head down, then looks out from the corner of her eye.

anonymom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:48 pm
I dont understand it but they have ways. They look inside the eye and can tell how it is focusing. I took a 1 year old once because of a pigmentation issue. Dr. looked inside and said he is perfectly focused now at age one. This may sound good, but it is bad. Because he was ahead of schedule to become nearsighted. (interestingly, at age 1 he was amazing at I spy books)

Sounds like you should definitely have your daughter checked out by a good pediatric opthamologist. Good luck and let us know what happens.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:50 pm
OK, thanks.

Blue jay

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:50 pm
Seek an optomologist. My kids went when they were 6 months old because they were premie twins. One has the vision of an eagle the other not so good and wears glasses now. Though there is not much that could be done at 6 months we followed up to make sure his eyes were developing properly

QUEENY

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 10:52 pm
I had my baby's vision checked b.c everyone kept insisting he was cross eyed. They used toys and light pens and they were very professional. B'h there is nothing wrong with his eyes. They said it had to do with the bridge of his nose -made him looked cross eyed.

mommyofboys

Post Sat, Aug 22 2009, 11:36 pm
My pediatrician checks eyesight on 6 month olds. He has a special machine that gets the reading for it. He just checked my 6 month old.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 9:12 am
I knew that as a baby our daughter did not see correctly but our pediatrician swore up and down that the tests for that age were not conclusive. You might ask Dr Ben David in Boro Park if he can test a baby. We waited until dd was older and he was a great help then.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:09 am
they must have some sort of machines to do it because my nephew has had glasses from a very young age. choc moose, maybe these machines are recent innovations?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 3:10 pm
No idea. Little kids had glasses even before I had my daughter.

Bottom line is, if you think there's a problem, check it out. Younger is always better !

beilariva

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 3:15 pm
QUEENY wrote:
I had my baby's vision checked b.c everyone kept insisting he was cross eyed. They used toys and light pens and they were very professional. B'h there is nothing wrong with his eyes. They said it had to do with the bridge of his nose -made him looked cross eyed.

Same thing here. The flat nose bridge that DS got from my family made the Tipat Chalav nurses nervous. We went to the eye doctor and DS got some solution dropped in his eyes and then he was quickly checked and confirmed all OK B"H!

Make an appointment with an eye doctor and get this out of the world. Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 3:43 pm
we took our 3 month old.
they have their ways how they check.
hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics