Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Leek latke recipe? Also whole wheat question

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:21 am
Someone posted last year that they made something like latkes with leeks. Does anyone have a recipe for this?

Also, I wonder if anyone has tried using whole wheat flour in their honey cake baking, and if so, how it turned out. TIA!

willow

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 9:34 am
I only use whole wheat in everything and usually have no problems at all. I don't think ppl even notice.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 10:33 am
THIS IS NOT MY RECIPE
But I think it sounds yummy I found it in a thread but alas I cannot remember who the OP is... Good Luck!!

Leeks resemble oversize scallions but have a milder flavor with a nutty sweetness. Only use the white and pale green parts.

1 1/2 cups cold mashed potatoes (about 2 medium)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled
3 to 4 medium-size leeks, mostly whites with a small amount of green, roots removed
salt
freshly ground pepper
canola oil for frying
In a large bowl mix together the mashed potatoes, onion, garlic, flour, eggs, butter, and 1/4 cup water. Mix well and let mixture rest for about 30 minutes.

Remove the tough outer leaves from the leeks then wash and soak the leeks to remove all dirt and grit. Slice the leeks into 1-inch pieces and boil in water for 5 minutes. Remove from the pot and immediately place them in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Squeeze out the excess water, chop the leeks, and add them to the potato mixture and mix well. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

In a large skillet, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and place large spoonfuls of the leek mixture into the hot oil. Cook until brown on the bottom, then turn the patties over and cook until firm and brown on the top. Drain well on paper towels and serve. Makes about 15 patties

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 13 2009, 10:42 am
Thank you both! Off to cook.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 8:41 am
imasinger wrote:
Someone posted last year that they made something like latkes with leeks. Does anyone have a recipe for this?

Also, I wonder if anyone has tried using whole wheat flour in their honey cake baking, and if so, how it turned out. TIA!

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....tties
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus