Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Teaching a 5 year old English

amother

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 8:19 pm
Hi, I wanted to start teaching my son English, like the ABC, numbers, how to read a little, he's almost 5, does anyone know of any good programs I can get? For now I am going to get a cd with games but I wanted s/t more than that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

stem

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 8:21 pm
Read him books like dr. seusses abc.

chen

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 8:28 pm
I agree. children are natural sponges and do not need fancy programs to learn a language. just talk to him, read to him, and especially talk around him when you don't want him to understand. he'll pick it up like that!

amother

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 8:48 pm
ok, here's little clarification, I do read to him, he speaks English very well, thats our language in the house,, but I want to know how to read and write eventually which he wont learn in his school.

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 18 2006, 10:23 pm
You can buy dot to dot english letters books most hallmark stores sell them. Thats what I have started to do w/h great results w/h my 3 yr old. There are diff levels and it's fun way cheaper and more constructive then the comp

mommy24

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 5:17 pm
you can get workbooks. they are cheap adn come for all ages toddlers adn up with letters, reading , math,etc. I get mine in amazing savings, they are about $1 per book. my son is also 5 adn I have begun teaching him to read, since he will not learn in school, and he loves doing work in these books. good luck

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 5:20 pm
My DD likes this website:

www.starfall.com

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 6:06 pm
Thanx 4 the site meema, its really good.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 11:45 am
If you have a DVD player, try th Leapfrog series. There are 4 of them. Also, if u r in NY, there's a Scholastic store with great books for teaching, or go online to their website. My son is almost 6 & I started last year.

ektsm

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 7:06 pm
WHat about hooked on phonics?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers